Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

David Silverman, president of American Atheists on CNN with Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm starting to think if you can believe in God, then it's just as possible to believe in anything, like how we are living in a simulation. I find this article on the subject intriguing:

Are You Living in a Simulation?

This "God" is merely a higher being that created our world for testing purposes. So the "God" in the Bible could be one that we have made up own our own. This chunk of the article might be hard to follow without reading from the beginning, but here it is:

Although all the elements of such a system can be naturalistic, even physical, it is possible to draw some loose analogies with religious conceptions of the world. In some ways, the posthumans running a simulation are like gods in relation to the people inhabiting the simulation: the posthumans created the world we see; they are of superior intelligence; they are “omnipotent” in the sense that they can interfere in the workings of our world even in ways that violate its physical laws; and they are “omniscient” in the sense that they can monitor everything that happens. However, all the demigods except those at the fundamental level of reality are subject to sanctions by the more powerful gods living at lower levels.

Further rumination on these themes could climax in a naturalistic theogony that would study the structure of this hierarchy, and the constraints imposed on its inhabitants by the possibility that their actions on their own level may affect the treatment they receive from dwellers of deeper levels. For example, if nobody can be sure that they are at the basement-level, then everybody would have to consider the possibility that their actions will be rewarded or punished, based perhaps on moral criteria, by their simulators. An afterlife would be a real possibility. Because of this fundamental uncertainty, even the basement civilization may have a reason to behave ethically. The fact that it has such a reason for moral behavior would of course add to everybody else’s reason for behaving morally, and so on, in truly virtuous circle. One might get a kind of universal ethical imperative, which it would be in everybody’s self-interest to obey, as it were “from nowhere”.

I'm starting to think if you can believe in God, then it's just as possible to believe in anything, like how we are living in a simulation. I find this article on the subject intriguing:

Are You Living in a Simulation?

This "God" is merely a higher being that created our world for testing purposes. So the "God" in the Bible could be one that we have made up own our own. This chunk of the article might be hard to follow without reading from the beginning, but here it is:

This is also worth a look if you are so inclined. I'm not sure it's anything other than a thought exercise, but workouts are good, right? (Beats the gym, anyway)

Decoding Reality: The Universe as Quantum Information
by Vlatko Vedral

http://www.amazon.com/Decoding-Reality-Universe-Quantum-Information/dp/0199695741

There is Good and Bad in this world.

Religious people attribute the good to God, and bad to the Devil.

People have free will to believe what ever they wish.

There are people that worship God, others that worship the Devil, and some that worship their Athesiasm.

Believe also that this is the way it is supposed to be.

I'm always amazed at the intolerance of some people who assume that anyone believing in God is stupid or with a below average IQ; it doesn't reflect well on those who suggest this.

I am always amazed at the intolerance of some people who assume that anyone who doesn't believe in God must be incapable of morality. There is intolerance on all sides.

Is there really a poll that shows a (statistically significant) correlation between Tesla ownership and atheism?
There is no statistically valid poll like that which I am aware of.

And to all the internet "journalists" out there, this thread does not demonstrate that Tesla owners are more likely to be atheists than the general population. That would be an invalid conclusion.

I have never seen an anti-science debate among Hindus. All bodes well for Tesla and EVs in the 2nd most populated country in the world. .. If only they can beef up the electric infrastructure.
I'm sure there must be a joke in there related to your choice of the word 'beef'...! Perhaps electricity should also become sacred (he says with some degree of seriousness!!)? :biggrin:

I am definitely NOT religious. But I am fervently Christian. I pray daily to a God I KNOW exists because He hears my prayers and He answers them. (No I have not heard His voice with my ears, but I have heard Him and seen Him through the wondrous creation around me.) I also fervently believe in science. After all, the truth in science is simply thinking God's truth after Him. He is the Inventor of all science. He gave us science. I do not find any incompatibilities between good science and God or His word given to us in the Bible. I have a Masters degree in theology and Christian education and I have been driving my Tesla for more than a year.

I am definitely NOT religious. But I am fervently Christian. I pray daily to a God I KNOW exists because He hears my prayers and He answers them. (No I have not heard His voice with my ears, but I have heard Him and seen Him through the wondrous creation around me.) I also fervently believe in science. After all, the truth in science is simply thinking God's truth after Him. He is the Inventor of all science. He gave us science. I do not find any incompatibilities between good science and God or His word given to us in the Bible. I have a Masters degree in theology and Christian education and I have been driving my Tesla for more than a year.

Then from your point of view, what makes the hard right, conservative Christians reject the science that is showing us what's happening to our Earth? Have they just chosen an extreme path of religious beliefs and everyday living? I'm all for others believing in what they want, just don't tell me it's only one way.

Then from your point of view, what makes the hard right, conservative Christians reject the science that is showing us what's happening to our Earth? Have they just chosen an extreme path of religious beliefs and everyday living? I'm all for others believing in what they want, just don't tell me it's only one way.
Excuse me? Did I say something about "one way"? In my opinion you are (over??) generalizing an entire group. I consider myself right...but not really "hard right" (I am actually too soft!) and I am definitely a conservative Christian, but I do not reject science except when some erroneously try to tell me that the God I know, does not exist or that there is no need for Him to exist.

To @Chipper:

Hmmm...is that the same god who "gave us" the Spanish Inquisition, the people who tortured those who believed that the earth was not the center of the universe?

So why would a god wait tens of thousands of years to "give us" scientific knowledge? Just didn't get around to it, was busy with other things?

Excuse me? Did I say something about "one way"? In my opinion you are (over??) generalizing an entire group. I consider myself right...but not really "hard right" (I am actually too soft!) and I am definitely a conservative Christian, but I do not reject science except when some erroneously try to tell me that the God I know, does not exist or that there is no need for Him to exist.

It was not a personal attack, you said you had Masters degree in theology and Christian education and I was just trying to get your view of why so many other conservative Christians do not accept today's science.....and I'm not over generalizing, do you see what state I live in? haha. :)

To @Chipper:

Hmmm...is that the same god who "gave us" the Spanish Inquisition, the people who tortured those who believed that the earth was not the center of the universe?

God didn't create the Spanish inquisition, humans did. God gave humans free will and unfortunately we sometimes mis-use it. There's been much done wrong in the name of religion but it's always humans who do it; there's also been plenty of persecution for religious belief over history, even here in the United States.

- - - Updated - - -

Then from your point of view, what makes the hard right, conservative Christians reject the science that is showing us what's happening to our Earth?

I agree completely that it's silly for some conservative Christians to reject the science regarding climate change; IMO it's equally silly that some liberal atheists reject science regarding the creation of human life.

None of us are without our faults or contradictions, me included.

I'm not trying to attack your stance, but I'm just going to leave this here:

474E0sY.gif

There's been much done wrong in the name of religion but it's always humans who do it;

Yeah and they believe they're doing god's work. How do you know they're not? How have you decided when to trust people who claim to be mind-communicating with invisible entities and when to assume they're insane? Besides, are there not already such stories in the bible where supposed big ol' friendly god-man tells people to kill? There's a lot of that going on today and we consider those people insane psychopaths, rightfully so.