Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

David Silverman, president of American Atheists on CNN with Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After you are dead, explain how it will have meaning to you. It may have meaning to others while they are alive but that will end when their existence ends. My point is about meaning to you.

After I am dead, it will have significant meaning to me to know that I have loved others, and done good. All I have is the consciousness of my living brain. To suggest that "Without God, existentialism is correct. Pain, love etc. will mean nothing once you are dead" implies that believers find more meaning in these things while they are alive but, in fact, believers have no idea what meaning they will they have will then are dead, just like non-believers. That was the argument I responded to. I know what you meant but I can't respond to how things can have meaning to me when I am dead since my only experience is being alive. Well, in 1964 (the year before I was born) I was not alive. I was not dead, having not lived, and nothing had any meaning to me, since I lacked the experience of living, and also the thrill of driving a Tesla!

- - - Updated - - -

Marriage is a religious act.

Really? Which one? It pre-dates Christianity and is a universal practice among humans, regardless of their religious beliefs or lack of same.

I look at it the opposite. I deal with pain, love, etc. as part of the nature of human existence and try to make the right choices, and do good things, within that framework solely because it is the right thing to do, and as an end in itself. I do not do good because of god, an "afterlife", or being afraid of being condemned to hell. I think if you're doing good things only for those purposes, then your deeds lack integrity and sincerity. I'm always amazed when people say "if you're an atheist then you can kill, rape, etc. (or whatever else is bad) and not fear consequences. That one just blows me away. If I needed to worry about god punishing me for raping or killing someone, then I must be a complete sociopath. I could never do those things because they are wrong and I could not live with myself. I don't need a god to tell me what is right or wrong. In fact the Bible stipulates the treatment of slaves, without even considering slavery as being unethical.
I couldn't agree more. Maybe because I am also a 1965 model year! :wink:

Comments of this sort always make me think of Rush... 'Faithless'. A great song lyrically, with a few especially good bits...:

I've got my own moral compass to steer by
A guiding star beats a spirit in the sky
And all the preaching voices -
Empty vessels ring so loud
As they move among the crowd
Fools and thieves are well disguised
In the temple and market place

And:

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

I've got my own spirit level for balance
To tell if my choice is leaning up or down
And all the shouting voices
Try to throw me off my course
Some by sermon, some by force
Fools and thieves are dangerous

I've always found Neil Peart to be an extremely intelligent song writer!

Volatile topic ... but let's strive to keep respect for differing views. Please. I'm sure no disrespect was meant -- but the lyrics are somewhat damning to those who believe differently.

Good intentions I'm sure, by all.
Well, it's not banned from radio play lists, and I really don't see it as being any more disrespectful than most of the other posts here... including my own. So I don't know how bad it could possibly be... people believe what they want. I'm fine with that, so long as others don't attempt to impose their views on me. If I'm not thinking and accidentally open the front door to someone on my porch wanting to tell me about their beliefs, I tell them that's fine, so long as they allow equal time to listen to mine. They never agree to do so, so my understanding of 'respect for different views' is arrived at through experience...

Haha. I know it's not banned. Context!

People here on the thread are sharing their views. The lyrics quoted were not exactly respectful of differing views. That's all I meant. Threads like this can blow up quickly & so far, people have been careful. No disrespect was meant to you, just stuff seems to be getting closer to 'making it personal'.

I couldn't agree more. Maybe because I am also a 1965 model year! :wink:

Comments of this sort always make me think of Rush... 'Faithless'. A great song lyrically, with a few especially good bits...:

I've got my own moral compass to steer by
A guiding star beats a spirit in the sky

And:

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

I've got my own spirit level for balance
To tell if my choice is leaning up or down
And all the shouting voices
Try to throw me off my course
Some by sermon, some by force

I've always found Neil Peart to be an extremely intelligent song writer!

here another Model 1965:rolleyes: I feel exactly the same!

Very difficult topic to discuss because some views might be mutually exclusive. A bit of tolerance, inclusiveness and scrutiny of personal wording will go a long way.

Without God, existentialism is correct. Pain, love etc. will mean nothing once you are dead.

The last sentence in the quote is your opinion, however, it is phrased as a fact that applies to everyone. Phrased as above it invalidates people who place value on life and the present moment, rather than on death. Such invalidation is highly likely to provoke a response, as it did.

i'm not sure a Tesla forum is a place for a deep philosophical debate on religion. I merely stated my beliefs as others have done in this thread. Usually it is the evangelicals who react so strongly.

I too don't want religion crammed down anyone's throat. Of course I seem to be such a strange mix when it comes to my beliefs such that I generally upset everyone left or right.I want government out of the marriage business. Marriage is a religious act. .

Person that responded to your invalidating statement does not come across to me as a zealot but as someone who felt provoked to defend meaning that he finds in life.

The way your statements are phrased, they lack personal ownership and come across as applying to everyone. That has a high risk of coming across as pushing and imposing the expressed views on everyone, as you have not phrased in any limits to your statements, who do they apply to.

Pushing and imposing your views on others is likely to be pushing people's buttons. According to your statement, you do get strong responses from others. My guess is that responses are not to your personal mix, it is much more likely that they respond to invalidations contained in your statements.

Other example of invalidating imposing statement is 'marriage is a religious act' - maybe it is to you, certainly it is not to me and many others like me.

Perhaps if you rephrase your statements to limit their application to yourself only and give others space to be whoever they wish to be, such rephrasing is likely to come across as far more respectful and inclusive.

For example, your invalidating statement: 'Pain, love etc. will mean nothing once you are dead' stops being invalidating if you choose to say: Pain, love etc. will mean nothing to me once I am dead.

Another one: Marriage is a religious act to me. Big difference. If your statements imply your personal ownership of expressed views and no imposition on others, that might come across as much more respectful and you might get different responses.

It is not easy, but it is possible. We are all often loose with language and sometimes that has unintended consequences. It is really your choice if you wish to be more careful with phrases to make sure your statements do not invalidate anyone and are less pushy thus more respectful.

Volatile topic ... but let's strive to keep respect for differing views. Please. I'm sure no disrespect was meant -- but the lyrics are somewhat damning to those who believe differently.

Good intentions I'm sure, by all.

I can see bonnie's point here. The verses seem to be derogatory towards people who do have faith, who go to temples, who preach. That makes these verses lacking tolerance and respect for these people. By putting these verses there, you might need to own intolerance and disrespect that they convey. We are all free to make choices that convey who we are.

Last edited:
I can see bonnie's point here. The verses seem to be derogatory towards people who do have faith, who go to temples, who preach. That makes these verses lacking tolerance. We are all free to choose to be tolerant or intolerant. By putting these verses there, you might need to own intolerance as well, which is fine by me.

Great comment and I agree wholeheartedly. We can't call religious people "fools". They are my family and friends and far from fools. Nigel, Bonnie, and SR22pilot, among many others here, are good people, and I respect their beliefs. We can disagree with them about the existence of god, but they are not foolish for believing in her ;) . I have no Truth about what happens when I die. In fact, I really hope they are right but I am convinced they are not. I enjoy debating them, and others, about this issue, but only with respect and without derogatory comments or name calling.

Having said that, I have no problem with the lyrics of that rock song. That's what rock is all about - rebellion and calling out the establishment. The lyrics are great. They just don't apply to my religious friends here.

While I've already stated I'm not religious, I find this an unfair characterization. Sure, we can come up with examples where this is true, but that has not been my experience overall. My experience with those close to me is that, for them, church is a place to interact with community and, if on the wrong track, to find help and guidance going forward.

I could give some specific examples, but in dealing with a family member with Borderline Personality Disorder, her church has been incredible help. I'm not so quick to condemn the institution.
I have read and re-read my post and see no condemnation, and I assure you none was intended. I absolutely agree that church is community and they are there to help in many ways. However, religions teach rules. Baptists have to undergo (literally) immersion baptism--Methodists, Roman Catholics, Presbyterians don't. Religions teach no beef or no pork or no meat whatsoever. But there will be Baptists, Methodists, Catholics, Presbyterians, etc. in heaven when I get there. Not because they followed the rules of their religion, but because they individually had a relationship with God's Son.

Other example of invalidating imposing statement is 'marriage is a religious act' - maybe it is to you, certainly it is not to me and many others like me.

Wow, talk about being misread. My comment was referring to the separation of church and state. If you prefer then replace religious with "personal act and commitment not involving the state." The history of marriage is as a religious act. Today we see all sorts of government involvement because of issues like healthcare and property law. I would like to see those separated out. I don't believe the government should have a say in who makes spiritual or emotional commitments to each other. Government does need to be involved when commitments are financial or involving worker benefits. I would like to see those separated. This avoids issues like restrictions on gay marriage which I disagree with.

My comment on existentialism said nothing about whether a person had moral values while alive. I don't see morality as some special province of Christianity. Please read my statement carefully. It involves the philosophical question of what it all means if you cease to exist. As my poorly remembered story brought up, what is the counter to the "What are you going to do, kill me twice?" question? This does ask where morality comes from. Is there some deep meaning to morality or is it merely inbred feelings that provide a survival advantage? Is there an absolute morality much like Newtonian mechanics imply an absolute frame of reference or, like in relativity, is morality relative? If morality has some absolute nature then where does that come from?

I have been through the formal proofs of the existence of God and they all involve faith at some point although that point may be cleverly hidden. As a result they all fall apart. Therefore, I am not trying to convince anyone. However, I am not going to hide or apologize for my faith either. Unlike the person who posted the song, I'm not calling anyone a fool nor am I calling you or anyone else dangerous. I am bringing up the issue of meaning if it all ceases to exist. Eventually the universe will end. All human life will cease to exist. The question is: "What will it have meant?"

As far as my beliefs riling up others, I was referring to the fact that I believe in capitalism and free enterprise. I also believe there are good CEO's out there. All that can rile my left wing friends who say all corporations are run by greedy and uncaring people. On the other hand, I feel the Supreme Court has done the country a great disservice by declaring corporations as having the same rights as people. Last time I read that old document it said "We the people..." and not "We the people. corporations, and government entities..." I believe strongly in the separation of church and state. Together this riles my right wing friends who are certain anything the president does has to be horrible and that we should live in a Christian state. I favor net neutrality protections. That got me into trouble with a friend. Yeah, my beliefs are all over the place.

- - - Updated - - -

For example, your invalidating statement: 'Pain, love etc. will mean nothing once you are dead' stops being invalidating if you choose to say: Pain, love etc. will mean nothing to me once I am dead.

My question is what will pain, love, etc. mean to you when you are dead if you have ceased to exist? I see no way it can mean anything (personal view looking for well reasoned reply). I certainly see how what you did can mean something to those still alive but eventually all of humanity will be dead. At that point will it matter whether you were a great person or a jerk?

<quote>Originally Posted by SR22pilot After you are dead, explain how it will have meaning to you. It may have meaning to others while they are alive but that will end when their existence ends. My point is about meaning to you.</quote>

After I am dead, it will have significant meaning to me to know that I have loved others, and done good. All I have is the consciousness of my living brain. To suggest that "Without God, existentialism is correct. Pain, love etc. will mean nothing once you are dead" implies that believers find more meaning in these things while they are alive but, in fact, believers have no idea what meaning they will they have will then are dead, just like non-believers. That was the argument I responded to. I know what you meant but I can't respond to how things can have meaning to me when I am dead since my only experience is being alive. Well, in 1964 (the year before I was born) I was not alive. I was not dead, having not lived, and nothing had any meaning to me, since I lacked the experience of living, and also the thrill of driving a Tesla!

I do not follow any particular religion but I believe my actions and morals follow parts of nearly all of them (fringe religions excepted, I'm sure! :)). Canuck: "after I am dead, it will have significant meaning to me to know that I have loved others, and done good." I agree with that except I'm pretty sure I'll be feeling that as I'm dying, and I have no idea what I will feel once I'm dead (some have suggested I'll feel quite hot... but that's another story).

I'll share a sort of flip-side comment. My definition of "hell" is that period of time, brief or prolonged, just before death when one's thoughts turn to the finality. If one has been a "bad person", I'm thinking their last moments will be filled with pain and suffering, and regret. Or not (e.g. sociopaths etc). If one has "loved and been loved, and done good", I think that's the best protection against "hell" there can be -- there still may be regrets ("rage, rage against the dying of the light") but hopefully overwhelmed by ... I don't know, the satisfaction of the knowledge of a life well lived.

So, I'm no philosopher, and I obviously have no experience and no proof. It's just another idea, partly to encourage people to "do good".

Maybe (while I'm defining things) there's another definition of the start of life -- it's not conception, or birth, it's when you drive off in your new Tesla! :)

Last edited:
I am so using this in the future. Though I've found just saying I'm an atheist usually gets them to leave quickly.

I once read someone describing how he would make some face, and in a monotonous voice tell them he was possessed by a demon, or satan or whatever. That scares them away I guess. :D I'm not sure I'd recommend that for one's own personal safety because if someone believes you it means they're delusional and who knows what they might do.

Without bein too bombastic I think we can conclude that Elon is an atheist.

In the video interview I linked below he says this [discussion humanity becoming multi-planetary]:

INTERVIEWER:

It's almost like part of a grandness. [Do] you think there is some kind of destiny involved in this? Or is it just physics?

ELON MUSK:
Well, I do. Do I think that there's some sort of master intelligence architecting all of this stuff? I think probably not because then you have to say: "Where does the master intelligence come from?" So it sort of begs the question. So I think really you can explain this with the fundamental laws of physics. You know its complex phenomenon from simple elements.

OnInnovation: Going to Mars with Elon Musk

He may also, of course, be an agnostic. But agnostics have always struck me as just atheists without balls :) (And it doesn't seem that Elon lacks balls).

I am so using this in the future. Though I've found just saying I'm an atheist usually gets them to leave quickly.
What it tells me is that if there is intolerance in the scenario, those people on my porch are not above it either. They are (apparently) sure enough that they are right that they see no reason to waste their time listening to my thoughts on the subject. If I'm able to listen to their spiel, does that not make me tolerant of their beliefs? I might not agree (let's face it, I don't!), and I assume they won't agree with me. That's fine. I'm willing to have an intelligent discussion on the matter, but if it's going to be based on a book of unknown provenance, it's not really going to be a useful discussion is it? If a religion (any religion) can't allow or stand up to scrutiny, what is it worth? That's not an attack on any religion or any individual (before someone jumps on me), but an honest, blunt question!

As I stated previously, I'm not an atheist. Not because I don't have balls (I like that one - LOL!), but because I don't know that there isn't a god. I'm just 100% sure if it/he/she exists, it/he/she isn't anything like we stupid humans have assumed. Because we're far too stupid to have worked out anything this complex.

Something else I find interesting is how, over the ages, religion has slowly but surely transitioned from a relationship with the earth as we know and understand it, to the current state where it's more about humans and what makes us good or bad (and how we gain admission to heaven). If god was able to make all of heaven and earth and finally, us, in a matter of six days (not to underestimate the magnitude of the accomplishment), I would think that it/he/she would take issue with us treating this place it/he/she made for us (and all of the creatures - surely they have some value to it/him/her too) - essentially - like a cheap crack house. Where is that addressed in any of the worlds most popular religions? Plenty of stuff surrounding gay marriage, whether women should cover their faces, whether using a condom is a sin. But not so much on whether our treatment of the planet is frowned upon... or not.

Given the state of the planet and the complete lack of interest in attempting to ensure our survival as a species, I have to wonder. And when one considers how many of the global warming disbelievers are also unabashedly religious, I wonder more. I have a problem with how human-centric religions are... given the work that went into making heaven and earth, one would think that respecting it would be a very key element in any religion... much more important than any of the silly egotistical issues we humans have decided are important!

Bottom line... I suppose everyone needs something to believe in.

And by the way, I see nothing wrong with art (in my case, music/poetry) expressing or criticizing beliefs. Have we forgotten Charlie so quickly??

I believe I'll have a beer... :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

This is pretty much how I feel on the subject:
Very good! :biggrin:

To clarify, I call myself a scientist not an atheist because so many atheists believe in the 2 biggest anti-science conspiracies in human history, by far, worse than creationism, flat earth etc. Quite frankly embarrassing.

And that's me out of this thread, I'm not returning to it anymore. This is a car forum.