Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor David99's USA Tesla Center Screen tour, MCU eMMC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EV-Fixme

Former Vendor
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2019
Orange County, CA
A good friend of ours is going to touring the US for the next few months in his Tesla. I've attached a copy of his planned route. This is your chance to meet the famous youtuber that brought you the most friendly video in helping beginners take apart their car to access the MCU and Tegra for repair/upgrade
. If you still don,t feel confident in removing, he can do it for you while you watch, putting it back together is a bit easier and you just need to watch the video in reverse for the most part. Once removed, you can send us the board, we will repair it and send it back to you. We are also available by pm to help you virtually reinstall.

Contact him directly to confirm his schedule and availability.

I will update this post with dates as his trip will be a little flexible since he's taking the time to do his dream trip.
DavidsTrip.jpg

So far:

• Arizona July 16th - 21st
  • Texas July 26th - Aug 9th
  • Georgia Aug 15th - 19th

Feel free to make an appointment to meet him at the supercharger as he is going from area to area also. Since he's going to be at the supercharger for about an hour, why not pull a few MCU's and meet some members?

More info about the Center Screen Failute (MCU) eMMC's Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

@David99

What the typical cost to replace the chip?
I’m in dallas...I can take it apart and maybe you can change out the chip while you are here?

Sorry didn't see the post. The chip needs to be sent to us for replacement. David is helping people get the small board out of the car to be sent to us.

David will be going from AZ to TX soon, and lots of superchargers along the way!

are you guys doing the chip swap on the spot?
It is kind of useless if he just picking up units.
He is removing the boards to be sent to us. Disassembly tends to be the scary part for many people from comments we have received. Depending on timing @David99 may also be available for reinstall, please make arrangements with him. If not owners can use our video and documentation for re-installation.

Reactions: David99
it seem like from other posts...TESLA is replacing the EMMC board for around $400.
This is way cheaper without the hassle of sending it back and forth.....2 weeks lost.

I guess these guys can overcharge whatever they want...just to just solder another chip cuz no one else has this service....

I'm glad Tesla finally has this option

it seem like from other posts...TESLA is replacing the EMMC board for around $400.
This is way cheaper without the hassle of sending it back and forth.....2 weeks lost.

I guess these guys can overcharge whatever they want...just to just solder another chip cuz no one else has this service....

The problem with the Tesla option is that they are likely replacing it with a board containing the same subpar chip that is causing all the problems in the first place, according to a report I've read. There are also reports that Tesla won't do it unless the chip is failing. I don't want to wait for my car to die before I can get it fixed, leaving me stranded at home, 300 miles from a service center, or out on a road trip somewhere.

No, I don't buy it that the Tesla option is as good as chip replacement by @EV-Fixme and others who provide this service.

I'd be interested in @David99's help in removing the Tegra board but I'm off the proposed route.

We are all pleased that Tesla is expanding the options. But you have a disadvantage being relatively new to posting on this forum, so you likely don't know the history and the value that the 3rd party fixers have brought to this issue. They also are also performing repairs in Europe. Not only were they, maybe still are, a better value, but they have been much faster many times in the last four months. Its an unfair and uninformed accusation that they are overcharging.

And you say - this is the first time I have seen anyone throw out the $400 number. I am pretty well read on TMC and I have not seen $400 mentioned so far. Where are these "from other posts" you mention, please?

A Kiki...you are 100% wrong...there are several members has the board repair by tesla for $400-500 range depends on market.....PLEASE READ BEFORE OPENING YOUR MOUTH.

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for $500

these guy are charging the Tesla tax...it shouldn’t cost $600 just to re-solder the emmc....bulk of the labor is taking the MCU APART...

simple common sense...why paid these guys more to do the same task as the company that make the car....AGAIN...they had the market ...so they can rob you whenever they want

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki