Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Day 1 impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my Model 3 yesterday morning. Thoughts:

1 - we found a total of zero adjustments needed. Car was in perfect shape.

2 - LR. It is faster than I expected. I am coming from an SS Camaro which was plenty fast, but this thing is insane.

3 - Had the NEMA outlet installed last week in preparation, and on the first charge discovered the electrician put the outlet in upside down. For those in a similar spot, the round prong should be on top!

4 - Got a Cnick ring as a backup key, as I lost my wedding ring in a lake last year. Works great! I would suggest to anyone to make sure you have a backup key with you most times. I was having trouble with the app on the iPhone, so actually needed the backup.

5 - This is the best one. Went to get Chinese with the family, and taking home leftovers: use the frunk!. It has vinyl lining so spills don't matter, and the smell doesn't get in the seating area. This may be the greatest thing ever. I keep my car super clean, and really dislike the smell of food in the car.

Overall, this thing exceeds all expectations.

I've had mine for ten months and am still loving it. One comment" you mention having trouble with the App. When we picked up our Tesla in
September, they told us the App wouldn't be fully functional for up to 24 hours. So check it again. It might be working better now.

Picked up my Model 3 yesterday morning. Thoughts:

1 - we found a total of zero adjustments needed. Car was in perfect shape.

2 - LR. It is faster than I expected. I am coming from an SS Camaro which was plenty fast, but this thing is insane.

3 - Had the NEMA outlet installed last week in preparation, and on the first charge discovered the electrician put the outlet in upside down. For those in a similar spot, the round prong should be on top!

4 - Got a Cnick ring as a backup key, as I lost my wedding ring in a lake last year. Works great! I would suggest to anyone to make sure you have a backup key with you most times. I was having trouble with the app on the iPhone, so actually needed the backup.

5 - This is the best one. Went to get Chinese with the family, and taking home leftovers: use the frunk!. It has vinyl lining so spills don't matter, and the smell doesn't get in the seating area. This may be the greatest thing ever. I keep my car super clean, and really dislike the smell of food in the car.

Overall, this thing exceeds all expectations.

Oh just wait - it gets better over time!

Wait a couple weeks and then get back into a gas-powered car... you'll realize just how good you have it. :)

The frunk is so, so underrated! I've found that a standard size pizza box fits in there perfectly as well. Like you said, no cabin smells! Really amazing.

Enjoy the ride... it only gets better from here. I understand we've got Disney+ and a bevy of other new features on the way shortly. We've been in a bit of a software 'lull' lately but now we're getting back into the every-few-weeks software update mode again.. it's like driving a new car all the time!

I've had mine for ten months and am still loving it. One comment" you mention having trouble with the App. When we picked up our Tesla in
September, they told us the App wouldn't be fully functional for up to 24 hours. So check it again. It might be working better now.
Next day, most def working better. Still not locking/unlocking the car, but I haven't spent a ton of time working on the issue - mostly driving!

As a backup key, I just keep a keycard in my wallet. I end up needing to use it about once a year. Remember that extra cards are cheap - I bought two extra (total of four) so I could keep one, my wife could keep one, and I'd have two spares at home just in case.
As a secondary backup, remember that if your wife has the App on her phone, you can call her and she can unlock and start the car for you remotely. Had to do that when my wife lost her phone and wasn't carrying her keycard.

Congratulations. After three years, I still think it's the best car I've ever owned.

Frunk = Food.

Popped mine the other day to put some food in and experienced a Karen in the wild. "Is that all the space they give you?". I had to explain, no, there is a huge trunk as well. I don't think she knew there's no engine.

The other day I drove 4 family member to the airport. So, five people in the car, 3 carry-on bags, 3 backpacks, a case of wine and miscellaneous toys. The under-trunk space holds an entire carry-on bag! The side nook on the left side of the trunk is perfect for a number of things.

Regarding the phone not working, double-check all your settings. Something seems off. Might want to read the manual, highly recommend that you read that start to finish.

Enjoy your car!!!

The under-trunk space holds an entire carry-on bag!
I seem to recall seeing an interview where someone from Tesla said that the Model 3 Frunk was designed to at the very least be able to stow one FAA carry-on bag per then-current FAA regulation. I don't know if the 2019+ frunk got smaller when they took away the take-out-bag hooks, but I don't think that it did. The false-bottom trunk is also great for both this and for keeping grocery bags from dancing around the cavernous main trunk.

As a backup key, I just keep a keycard in my wallet. I end up needing to use it about once a year. Remember that extra cards are cheap - I bought two extra (total of four) so I could keep one, my wife could keep one, and I'd have two spares at home just in case.
As a secondary backup, remember that if your wife has the App on her phone, you can call her and she can unlock and start the car for you remotely. Had to do that when my wife lost her phone and wasn't carrying her keycard.

Congratulations. After three years, I still think it's the best car I've ever owned.
Would the "remote app unlock" plan allow you to drive the car? Obviously it would let you in.

If you happen to run Home Assistant or Homebridge, the Tesla plugin will allow you to unlock the car and perform other functions. As far as I know there’s no public API to start the car though to mirror that function in the Tesla app.

I love saying “Hey Siri, open the model 3 trunk” as I walk to the car with a bag of groceries.

I seem to recall seeing an interview where someone from Tesla said that the Model 3 Frunk was designed to at the very least be able to stow one FAA carry-on bag per then-current FAA regulation. I don't know if the 2019+ frunk got smaller when they took away the take-out-bag hooks, but I don't think that it did. The false-bottom trunk is also great for both this and for keeping grocery bags from dancing around the cavernous main trunk.
Sounds about right.
IMG_3753 (1).jpg

Reactions: DopeGhoti
We just did our first road-trip-ish adventure, the car was amazing, sat at the airport for 5 days, lost 1% charge, total cost was ~$4.00 for ~280 miles, but anyway, we had 3 rollers, a 21 quart Camp-Zero cooler + dolly, 3 personal bags and a large bag for our return 2nd phase adventure over at Universal / the Portofino (from MCO), all in the trunk (the frunk was empty).