TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Day 1 of 2 Ceramic coating/Very impressed with build quality (pics)

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by JulienW, Jun 6, 2019.

1. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

Today I did the first ½ of my Cquartz ceramic coating. Today was:

Wash/dry
    Clay Bar
    Polish (orbital)
    IPA spray down and wipe
    Tomorrow 2 coats of Quartz and a couple of coats of Reload.

So today I got RELLY up close and personal with my 3 and quite impressed. Very little orange peal and what little is very minor (hard to see). Panels are extremely uniform and all trim and parts are in place. Glass tops are tight and high tolerance. Oddly it almost didn’t need clay baring. The paint was smooth as silk and only some widely dispersed “swirl “ marks from the Tesla Store wash. Found 2 tiny contaminates in the paint. One low down below rear door on rocker. One on the rear trunk lid that is more obvious but you must look hard to see (pic) and easer to feel. Also have a little "sloppy" weld under the rear deck lid but you must open the trunk and look up to see it.

Dead tired and will be glad when I through tomorrow. Do “miss’ since I can’t drive right now but……However if it is like my ELR it is WELL worth it. If dirty and it rains it is like washing and waxing just by driving in the rain.

IMG_0586.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0588.jpg
    IMG_0589.jpg
    IMG_0592.jpg
    IMG_0593.jpg

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 2
  2. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

Today 2 coats of Cquartz ceramic and a final coat of Reload (deal spray). Raining out side so still can't drive and need to wait a couple more days. Sucks not being able to drive but it is "waxed' for the next few years.

IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. Runnergirl

Runnergirl Member

How much to do that to mine?? :)

.... with the same amount of TLC ?

4. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

#4 JulienW, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    $1,000,000.:D Did my ELR 2 years ago and was just starting forget how much work it was. Need at least another 2 year break.:eek:

Also I see your user name. My Peachtree number is sitting on top of my car.;)

• Like x 1
  5. Runnergirl

Runnergirl Member

It looks like a million $! Great job.

• Love x 1
  6. Burrito

Burrito Member

Where did you get that hang tag for no washing. I’m looking for one myself

7. Trevor B

Trevor B Active Member

I thought it was ok to do a touchless hand wash???

8. Roentgen

Roentgen Member

Wow. Excellent paint care. Congrats!

9. Bill Foster

Bill Foster Member

Looks great, did you do the wheels?

10. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

Car Pro-US (on bottom of tag) Sky's the Limit Car Care; Home of Carpro coatings, polishes, and sealants I bought my Cquartz and other supplies from them. I believe they are the official US importer or maybe even the owner of Cquartz.
    Touch-less hand wash sounds like an oxymoron.:eek: What makes you ask or assume a touch-less is NOT ok? It may be ok but I always have hand washed my cars myself. My ELR was Cquratz coated for 2 years and no one touched (or touch-less) it but me. Here is a NOT clean roof after a rain at about 1½ years.

IMG_4443.jpg

11. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

Just 2 coats on the wheels :D also put 1 coat on all the glass and 3 coats on the front bumper and hood. 2 coats rest of car.

12. Bill Foster

Bill Foster Member

Cool cool, was going to suggest the wheels, makes cleaning what little brake dust we get, so much easier

13. ColoradoFun

ColoradoFun Member

Looks amazing, I have the same color combination. How long would you estimate that it took you in total? I was planning to go through this but now am not sure if the effort can justify it.

14. jamessmooth007

I drooled a little. Well done!

• Like x 1
  15. dennisvab

dennisvab Member

That is actually not a weld. They use an adhesive in that area to hold it together. It looks like the adhesive isn’t on uniformly.

16. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

Total working time is close to 8 hours .

• Informative x 1
  17. Roy W.

Roy W. Active Member

Looks stunning, well done!

After reading this I’ve been looking at Cquartz availability in the U.K. Here we can buy a kit with 30ml of Cquartz and 100ml of Reload. Is that similar to what you used?

I’d probably miss out the machine polish as I’ve no experience of that, and I don’t fancy learning how (not) to do it on my new M3!

Oh, and I forgot to say, I’ve ordered the same Red/White for my car, which looks great.

18. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

50ml for 2 coats on paint and wheels, 3 coats on hood and front bumper and 1 coat on glass.

• Like x 1
  19. Lithiumilo

Lithiumilo Member

in my eyes that "adhesive / weld" area is unsat. I'd make a warranty / service claim there.

• Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 1
  20. cbaaz

cbaaz Member

Looks fantastic!

I have red, too and I have been thinking about using the same product, but without using a polisher for the prep.