Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Day 1 of 2 Ceramic coating/Very impressed with build quality (pics)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
Today I did the first ½ of my Cquartz ceramic coating. Today was:

Wash/dry
Clay Bar
Polish (orbital)
IPA spray down and wipe
Tomorrow 2 coats of Quartz and a couple of coats of Reload.

So today I got RELLY up close and personal with my 3 and quite impressed. Very little orange peal and what little is very minor (hard to see). Panels are extremely uniform and all trim and parts are in place. Glass tops are tight and high tolerance. Oddly it almost didn’t need clay baring. The paint was smooth as silk and only some widely dispersed “swirl “ marks from the Tesla Store wash. Found 2 tiny contaminates in the paint. One low down below rear door on rocker. One on the rear trunk lid that is more obvious but you must look hard to see (pic) and easer to feel. Also have a little "sloppy" weld under the rear deck lid but you must open the trunk and look up to see it.

Dead tired and will be glad when I through tomorrow. Do “miss’ since I can’t drive right now but……However if it is like my ELR it is WELL worth it. If dirty and it rains it is like washing and waxing just by driving in the rain.

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

Where did you get that hang tag for no washing. I’m looking for one myself

Car Pro-US (on bottom of tag) Sky's the Limit Car Care; Home of Carpro coatings, polishes, and sealants I bought my Cquartz and other supplies from them. I believe they are the official US importer or maybe even the owner of Cquartz.
I thought it was ok to do a touchless hand wash???
Touch-less hand wash sounds like an oxymoron.:eek: What makes you ask or assume a touch-less is NOT ok? It may be ok but I always have hand washed my cars myself. My ELR was Cquratz coated for 2 years and no one touched (or touch-less) it but me. Here is a NOT clean roof after a rain at about 1½ years.

IMG_4443.jpg

Looks stunning, well done!

After reading this I’ve been looking at Cquartz availability in the U.K. Here we can buy a kit with 30ml of Cquartz and 100ml of Reload. Is that similar to what you used?

I’d probably miss out the machine polish as I’ve no experience of that, and I don’t fancy learning how (not) to do it on my new M3!

Oh, and I forgot to say, I’ve ordered the same Red/White for my car, which looks great.

Looks stunning, well done!

After reading this I’ve been looking at Cquartz availability in the U.K. Here we can buy a kit with 30ml of Cquartz and 100ml of Reload. Is that similar to what you used?

I’d probably miss out the machine polish as I’ve no experience of that, and I don’t fancy learning how (not) to do it on my new M3!

Oh, and I forgot to say, I’ve ordered the same Red/White for my car, which looks great.
50ml for 2 coats on paint and wheels, 3 coats on hood and front bumper and 1 coat on glass.

Reactions: Roy W.
Today I did the first ½ of my Cquartz ceramic coating. Today was:

Wash/dry
Clay Bar
Polish (orbital)
IPA spray down and wipe
Tomorrow 2 coats of Quartz and a couple of coats of Reload.

So today I got RELLY up close and personal with my 3 and quite impressed. Very little orange peal and what little is very minor (hard to see). Panels are extremely uniform and all trim and parts are in place. Glass tops are tight and high tolerance. Oddly it almost didn’t need clay baring. The paint was smooth as silk and only some widely dispersed “swirl “ marks from the Tesla Store wash. Found 2 tiny contaminates in the paint. One low down below rear door on rocker. One on the rear trunk lid that is more obvious but you must look hard to see (pic) and easer to feel. Also have a little "sloppy" weld under the rear deck lid but you must open the trunk and look up to see it.

Dead tired and will be glad when I through tomorrow. Do “miss’ since I can’t drive right now but……However if it is like my ELR it is WELL worth it. If dirty and it rains it is like washing and waxing just by driving in the rain.

View attachment 416374
View attachment 416375
View attachment 416371
View attachment 416373
View attachment 416372
View attachment 416369

Looks fantastic!

I have red, too and I have been thinking about using the same product, but without using a polisher for the prep.