TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Day 1 with my Tesla

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Crispix, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Crispix

Crispix Member

#1 Crispix, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    Took delivery today! Super nice people at the service center in San Diego and the delivery walk through was lots of fun. I think they follow these forums, so thanks again to everyone.

The car was in pristine condition, detailed and shiny and charged up. The walk through was excellent; there are so many little features and customizations. The paperwork and lessons took about an hour, then it was time to break it in. Random tidbits from the day (sorry, no photos, I'll have to follow up):

The Go Pedal
    Wowsers. I got the standard 85 and it hauls ass. Yes, the P85 from the test drive is noticeably faster in the initial acceleration, but the S85 is still a kick in the pants. My wife grabbed the holy**** handles more than once today, "Are you going to keep doing that?!" Well, yes! Moving around traffic is effortless: it feels like cheating and I'm going to be completely spoiled from now on.

Driving experience
    It's a big car, but doesn't drive like one. It's almost as wide as our SUV, but doesn't feel that way. It's long, too, and that's a bit more noticeable -- the rear window seems a bit far away when looking at the rear view mirror. The side mirrors will take some getting used to: the visibility is good, but the mirrors themselves are recessed (I assume for aerodynamics), so as a result more than once today I thought a dark object was coming up from a blind spot when I was really just reacting to the edge of the side mirror enclosure in my peripheral vision. I expect this effect will fade pretty quickly as I get used to the car. Seats are fine and the driving position is comfortable. Picked up the kids and asked, "do you want to put your backpacks in the trunk or frunk?" Obvious answer is obvious: "Frunk!"

One Pedal Driving ...
    ... is the future. Amazing how little I need to use the brakes. I have creep mode turned off. The accelerator is tuned so well it's very easy to move the car as little or as much as I want at any speed.

Parking
    Parks way easier than I feared. The backup camera is superb. I need to get a better sense of where the font end is, but that'll come in time. It's weird to just get in and go, and even weirder to just get up and leave the car when parked.

Pano Roof
    Lots of fun. Glad I got it. Wind noise is about what I expected. Headroom in the backseat would have been tight without it, too.

Sound System
    I got the studio sound. Yeah, it's a bit disappointing but it'll do. I'll have to mess with the settings a bit more, any recommendations? Right now I have Dolby off, Bass and Treble up +4.5, and I moved the center of sound just a bit toward the rear. Still nothing like the Harman Kardon system I had in my last car. At the same time it's way better than the factory Bose system in my SUV. Slacker is fun.

Nav and display
    Works great. Love the display on the driver's console. Voice recognition seems more than decent, too. 17" display is sick. This car is like having an iPhone wrapped around your entire body.

Storage
    There is not enough storage space in the car. I knew this going in. Yes, a center console will help, but I need another compartment to hold basics like sunglasses, parking permits, keys, and change for parking meters. I'll make do with glove box and the little area under the display. Who knows, maybe I'll skip the center console?

Phone App
    Fun. Is there a way to close the windows from the phone, or just the pano? I already have a wishlist for more features. Cooling the car before I get to it is such a luxury.

Charging
    No idea. I'll let you know. Car is plugged in and will start at midnight. Still had 125 miles left at the end of the day, after driving like a nutcase over 75 miles in one afternoon, plus over an hour just sitting in the car with the AC on. So I just wake up to a full tank in the morning? Yeah!

Reactions
    Yeah, people look and notice. Constantly. It's fun. Already had one stranger ask me all sorts of questions. I love talking cars. Saw another MS and I waved but she didn't notice. A Roadster went by later. I got a wave from him!

Last Anecdote
    Was stopped at a light, it turns green, I go. I hear a big noise on my right: a BMW (I think a 3 series, didn't quite notice the exact model) is flooring it in the lane next to me, trying to outrun the Model S. So I step on it, not flooring it, but just enough to keep pace with him exactly. Had I goosed it more, I would have easily passed him. After a few seconds we're both going a bit too fast in a 50 zone, so I lift up on the pedal, no need to do anything rash. Of course the regen kicks in (still getting used to that) so he passes right past me and onward, still accelerating. The passenger sticks his arm out the window and waves, well, let's say energetically. He thinks he smoked a Tesla (well, I guess he did, but I wasn't even trying and his car was making all sorts of noise trying to prove itself). Anyway, glad I stayed safe and just let the guy go. Does this happen often, BMWs testing you?

2. MarkR

MarkR Member

My wife has only driven a Model S once. I think she's afraid of it, but she smoked an M3 at a stop light with no trouble at all . . . and she gave the M3 a head start!

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Congrats on your new car! Nice post.

Yes. Well played, don't bite if it's not safe.

4. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Yup, get tested all the time by BMWs, Mercs (I usually do well against most of them even in my 60) and just today, a big fiery-sounding red pickup truck (whom I smoked before letting off as he seemed to have little regard for a 35 mph zone).

Don't know why they seem to be out to try to prove something. Not worth any bad consequences.

Congrats, Crispix! Enjoy.

5. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

#5 AustinPowers, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    I always find such descriptions funny. I know when I visited the US that I noticed how many roads in towns were four or more lanes, so each traffic light meant an opportunity for a drag race.
    Here we don't get that, as most roads in towns are one lane in each direction only. If there are more lanes at a traffic light, then it's mainly lanes for branching off traffic to the left or right, so no drag race potential here, but then again the German mentality is not drag racing minded anyway.

What we get though is an effect I think you will hardly see in the US: the "Autobahn race". That is you coast along the left lane on the Autobahn in your generic fast car, say M5 or whatever, at say 130 miles an hour. Then suddenly an RS6 Avant (alternatively insert your favorite sports station wagon here) arrives in your rearview mirror, lights flashing, left indicator blinking, possibly tenderly honking its horn as well. You let it pass at some point, by which time the RS6 driver will put the pedal to the metal, blast by you, fist clenched and threatening you for holding him up while he wants to get to his next business meeting at 175 miles an hour. After a while you get back in the left lane to overtake all those trucks on the right lane (remember, many Autobahns only have two lanes in each direction!), until the next Cayenne Turbo S or Q7 W12 TDI arrives behind you ;-)

6. No Tailpipe

No Tailpipe Member

@Crispix - Thanks for your first day review of the model S.
    Your overview keeps the excitement of driving a model S front and center for me. I'm looking forward to all the same experiences once my lease comes due on my 5 series. It's painful to read all the fun you had. I feel like a little kid that can't wait for Christmas, but unlike toys that loose that special something after Christmas, the model S keeps giving year round.

7. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Sunday I had a guy in a BMW Z4 with the top down decide to see what my MS could do. Well apparently it can do 115 mph before I even realized it, leaving him noisily trying to catch up. When I took an exit he followed, so at a light I lowered my window and let him ask the usual questions. He looked stunned and impressed, especially when the window came down and he saw it was a girl. Dudes just don't seem to expect that.

8. deonb

deonb Active Member

I would trade that any day of the week for the rolling barricade drivers we have on the U.S. highways.

9. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

Thank you for your post! That overall enjoyment and desire to drive has yet to fade for me, after 6 months of ownership.

Don't forget that there is a small pocket on the front of the driver's seat cushion, perfect for small items like RFID cards / parking permits, gum, etc... It is nicely out of sight as well.

As others have pointed out, all the time ! I usually give ICE cars a head start, just for extra fun...

My favorite smoke to date was a Maserati Quattroporte - the guy was revving his engine at a red light next to me (trying to impress his female passenger?). My wife, normally critical of spirited driving looked over at him, then told me to 'let him eat our dust'. I noted that Maseratis make a lovely engine sound, easily heard as he tried to catch up to my P85. He didn't even try at the next light ... :biggrin:

10. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

One Pedal Driving ...

One pedal is the best feature of any EV. I wish I could make the regen even stronger!

11. Zextraterrestrial

holy**** handles?

did they start adding them?

12. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Would be nice to have a picture.

13. Crispix

Crispix Member

Those big door handles are doing double duty. No, there's nothing extra or new to really grab onto.

14. AC1K

AC1K Member

Thanks for sharing, as for your cubby hole for anything thing (parking passes, cards, etc) there is a pocket at the very front edge of your seat.

i wish they had a sunglasses holder like my old car (picture is of a kia optima but my hyundai had a similar compartment)

index.18.jpg

the regen is VERY strong especially for rear wheel braking, if they have it any stronger it might lock up the wheels and you could start fish tailing, you can see the rear wheels locking up on the winter tests, it gets squirmy.

15. Zextraterrestrial

aha, thanks. i was hoping they started adding something ideal for passengers to hold besides the seat bottom

have fun!!!

16. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

It does seem like guys in beemers feel a need to prove themselves though American muscle car guys seem to be similar. I don't see this at stop lights as much as freeway driving. If you pass one of these guys (in the right lane as they never give up the left), they feel the need to reassert their leadership. It can lead to some stupid behavior so when I come upon one of them, they can have the lead as long as they want to go my speed or faster. I did have one guy decide that I wasn't allowed to pass - he dropped below the speed limit and weaved back and forth to block me from passing. I backed off since he was clearly irrational.

17. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Crispix,

Fantastic to hear the Tesla grin is installed and working properly :)

18. Teriyaki88

Teriyaki88 Member

19. twinklejet

twinklejet Member

Out of curiosity, did you purchase any of the official accessories when you took delivery of your car? If so, can you share what you bought? :)

20. Crispix

Crispix Member

No accessories, just a hat!