TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Day 10: Rancho Mirage to Stevenson Ranch 172 miles – Supercharging and new UMC!

Discussion in 'Blog Archive' started by Discoducky, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Left the desert with 152 miles of rated range with our destination 130 miles away (22 miles of buffer range). Climbing out of the desert on I-10 is usually into the wind and today was no different. Temp was 63 degrees. With several options for charging on the way I decided to go with traffic which flows about ~80mph but there were several cars to draft as the traffic was thick at 9am on a work day. As we climbed the range ticked off faster than the miles actually travelled and by the time we crested through the pass we had 9 miles of buffer range. This would have caused concern if not for knowing how the car can coast and recover range through regen. So I stayed with traffic and as we reached hwy 60 we had 14 miles of buffer range. And as we turned onto hwy 91 we were at 19 miles of buffer range! The entire trip we flowed with traffic and as we passed Rocket Road we started supercharging with 18 miles of buffer range!
    Left the supercharger with ample range for our stop at the LA service center (where we picked up a new UMC), our overnight stay in Stevenson Ranch and further up to the next supercharger at Tejon Ranch.