Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Day 2 of Ownership - No A/C

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Day 2 of ownership... I LOVE this car! SO fun to drive, but no A/C. I have turned the A/C all the way down to 'LOW' with high fan speed, and the air is not cold. Any ideas on how to fix without going to the service center (they are booked for the next two weeks):confused:

Thanks for any help that you can provide!

Go to the service center...
As a 2 day old customer owner you owe it to yourself...
Schedule the appointment on the app. - Now!
Type a note in the comments - "Please Help! Total A/C Failure!"
Maybe they can work you in... Maybe they are able to remote diagnose something.
Nothing will help or change until you are on their schedule...
It does not hurt to try...

Shawn

Day 2 of ownership... I LOVE this car! SO fun to drive, but no A/C. I have turned the A/C all the way down to 'LOW' with high fan speed, and the air is not cold. Any ideas on how to fix without going to the service center (they are booked for the next two weeks):confused:

Contact Tesla immediately and stop driving the car. The air conditioner is tied to the battery cooling system. Driving the car in that state can result in permanent damage to the battery, motor, etc.

Tesla will likely need to tow your car to the service center.

If the car is still within the return period, I would return and get another one, the service center appointment is always two weeks to a month out. (in chicagoland)
I got a sept 2018, it have been to the service center over 10 or more times for noises, seals, half shifts, and til this day still have the green line on backup camera. it had lots of little issues,, but still love the way it drives and the technology.

More than likely, you will encounter one of two things...

It's going to start up again, magically...
Road trip with high heat = no AC?

Or, there's an actual issue:
Hvac Cold Air Delay

In my case, I lost A/C for a good while - even drove straight to a service center, and they were quite useless. The sales advisor said to just leave the car off for a number of hours and then hope for the best.

If the car is still within the return period, I would return and get another one, the service center appointment is always two weeks to a month out. (in chicagoland)
I got a sept 2018, it have been to the service center over 10 or more times for noises, seals, half shifts, and til this day still have the green line on backup camera. it had lots of little issues,, but still love the way it drives and the technology.

Green dashed line flashing on backup camera in winter is like yellow band around center display. Not sure they have a fix for it.

The problem with that is that it may take another 4-8 weeks to get a new one, and they may have already traded in their old vehicle. Better to press them to take it in immediately and get a loaner if possible.

The problem with that is that it may take another 4-8 weeks to get a new one, and they may have already traded in their old vehicle. Better to press them to take it in immediately and get a loaner if possible.

Not 4-8 weeks, more like 52 weeks. If you return a vehicle within the 7 day period, you can't order the same trim again for a year. If you bought a X100D and weren't happy, well, you can now order a PX100D... Or have someone else in the family buy the vehicle..

Return Policy

Try reboot first see if fixes the situation. Call the local service center if that doesn't work, If it is essentially undrivable they were fit you in
- you can also ask for a mobile tech, sometimes can get that quicker than service center appointment.

Do you hear the compressor running? We had an issue on a Model S where compressor ran and cooled the battery but would not cool the interior - they had to replace a part but was pretty quick resolution.

Happened to me at 6 days of ownership when on a family visit trip 1000 miles from home; cost me half my trip. The tech said something was set wrong at the factory. For the dreaded shudder they replaced the front axle and then broke a motor mount on a test drive. The right wiper did not clear in front of the upper camera/sensors; found an upper window cracked; they fixed/replaced both under warrentee. About a month or so after ownership, the car would barely charge. They restored it to 120vac/24a until the part came in. Way too many problems this far into production; quality control is obviously an issue. By contrast, I own a 2006 Lexus RX400h, the 1st year of the 3-motor hybrid. It was 9 years before its 1st problem occurred--a sensor needed replacing. This is my 3rd Tesla: Roadster 2.5 and Model S P85DL. Both had warrantee issues, but not to the 2019 Model X extent.