Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Day 365! Who is still in love with their Y? Who's fallen out of love? Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today marks the 1 year anniversary with my MY. Other than a couple of panel/door misalignments and a scratched rear tow cover at pickup, the [Hedgehog] has been soooo good to me this past year. All the money saved not having to pump $5/gallon gas has gone to the stock market and has garnered me a healthy return in the past year as well. I friggin' love this thing even with all of its quirkiness. LOL! Love to hear some of your anniversary stories.

got my MY last sept. Almost a year and 20k, the car still feel liked day 1 and the same with the love! same same with the couple minor panel / door misalignment… at first it did bother me bc it’s my first brand new car and I tend to liked keeping my Things clean. now, who cares. It’s all about inside. How it drives, the tech, the safety, the saving, no other cars can even come close for a daily driver!

Still in the honeymoon, only two months of ownership. But I did a 28 hour round trip last week to Yellowstone in it, and... wow, this was hands down the most relaxing and engaging road trip I've taken in my 33 years of being a licensed driver. The combination of AP, the amusement of watching NoA and lane change, and the general ease of configuration in the cockpit (just joggle your seat a bit to relieve back pain and then get back to your settings later!) were just magic. We'd stop at a charger, and I'd get out, and I wouldn't be stiff! Or fatigued! It was like I'd been sitting at an office desk and not driving. Magic.

- 1 year, ~10k miles many of them doing fun stuff
- 'Boosting all the time, best $2k performance enhancement ever
- I've gotten used to the acceleration and I don't know if I can live with a slower vehicle
- White interior has held up well, but wish I had ventilated seats
- Saved thousands of $$$ charging vs premium gas
- Use AP all the time, I don't think I can commute without it now
- It's hard to decide between a fun drive or watching Youtube or Netflix during lunch
- I'm looking forward to the 2021.12.25 firmware and Sky Force Reloaded
- $70 maintenance for a tire rotation from Tesla Mobile Ranger

Sold my Performance Y after just about a year and 10,000 miles.

Could not get used to the harsh ride
Not enough to differentiate as a “performance” vehicle IMO.
Promises of track mode never materialized
No heated steering wheel (yes it matters in New England)
Missing basic safety and convenience features for a vehicle in the price range (cross traffic alerts, HUD, etc)

Edit: have a Model S LR on order

Last edited:
Still love the Y after a year and no regrets but I decided to give the wife my Y and get the new refreshed LR model S. Soon I will have to Teslas to to boot around in. :rolleyes: Every time I drive my wife's GLC AMG it feels like something is broken compared to electric drive. Amazing pieces of machinery to say the least.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I'm at about day 355 right now with 9924 miles. But I was smiling for almost everyone of those miles. This is my favorite car in a long line of cars spanning almost 60 years! My favorite features are: car at 80% SOC every morning, one pedal driving, AP!!! Use it constantly, OMG acceleration boost!! Ride quality since I had the Ohlins coil-overs installed!! 2020 Model Y LR AWD with AB.

Got our one-year anniversary "You have to pay for premium connectivity now" alert about a month ago. (Yes, bub, I ponied up.) We had traded up from a Honda Fit, so naturally it's by far the fanciest car either of us has ever driven. For some types of local driving I actually prefer our Bolt; mainly because it's easier to park in tight city spaces with its smaller size, tighter turn radius, and birds-eye camera view. Also I use the Bolt when I need to strap some lumber to the roof, since if I screw up I won't crack any glass. But for long trips, the MY is the bee's knees (a saying which should give you an idea of how long I've been driving!) As others have said, when we arrive after a long trip we're so much more relaxed. And after looking at the nerd-out data I wrote down during last year's summer drive, I see we actually spent between 10 and 15 minutes longer on our 12 hour drive than we did in an ICE. That's it. 10 minutes out of 12 hours. I'm already adding 20 minutes to the drive by taking the Tappan Zee (sorry, the M*rio C*omo) rather than the GW bridge, because it's so much more pleasant. I'd gladly trade that 2% increase in driving time for the increased relaxation, even if it didn't make any difference to the climate.

After a year, like with all relationships, there are some things we don't especially love, but we've gotten used to them. Whenever it phantom-brakes, we just say "Oh, Rob!" and roll our eyes. And, um,... well that's the only real complaint we have. And we always tell it when a bunch of orange cones are coming up, "Cones, Rob!" And sure enough it joyfully draws them all on the screen!

ETA: I like the ride as it is. I've always found "smooth ride" to mean "can't feel the road like I want to" at best and "why am I driving a boat?" at worst. Maybe I'd like it a little softer if I tried it, and maybe it's just that I'm comparing it to, y'know, a Fit, but personally I have no complaints about the ride.

ETA: I like the ride as it is. I've always found "smooth ride" to mean "can't feel the road like I want to" at best and "why am I driving a boat?" at worst. Maybe I'd like it a little softer if I tried it, and maybe it's just that I'm comparing it to, y'know, a Fit, but personally I have no complaints about the ride.
Totally with you on the ride and no you wouldn't like a boat, aka the 535i I had before I got my M3 - I need the road feel. And while I had luxury cars I drove my Honda Fit back and forth to work for almost 15 years before giving it to my son so I can relate! That was like a little Swiss army knife and zipped around the city just fine, 32 MPG the entire time I had it :) Motor on Bro!!

• Love
Reactions: Johnny Vector