Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Day at the drag strip. How are you charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to do a day at the drag strip this summer, but am aware of how important it is to have ~90% charge and an up-to-temp battery. There's no supercharger anywhere near the closest drag strip, it's 2hrs away, and I don't want to trailer my car there.

What's everyone doing to counter this? I was thinking of charging to 100% the night before, preconditioning before leaving, and purchasing a generator that can support 40a @ 240V so I can wire a NEMA 14-50 to it.

I'm just looking for ideas! Thanks.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
That's one beefy generator, but hey, if you can swing it, why not? Sounds like a pretty good plan to me. You can always use the generator as a home power outage backup, too.

Don't forget to post your time slips! :)

Yeah, I am hoping someone gives me a better idea!
A buddy who owns a few food trucks swears by these, and he's got them on pretty much non-stop:

They do 30A at 240V. Not terrible, and I could just turn the car down to 24A. It's also larger than what would fit in my car, which means a receiver and tossing it on my motorcycle trailer...

Anyways, still hoping for better ideas! ha ha

Reactions: lUtriaNt and Phlier
Where's the drag strip? Could you go early (or even night before) and find a nearby destination charger?
Eau Claire, WI 54701 just south of Menomonie, WI.
There is one 16kW in Menomonie, and it actually looks like there's a Supercharger coming Q4, so that's great!

It looks like if I add an extra hour onto my drive, I could hit a Supercharger a little ways past the track. Not ideal, but it's a possibility.

Maybe I could take a small 120V inverter generator then and just keep the battery semi-warm/semi-charged for multiple runs.

I wonder if tracks are going to start running 'expensive' charging stations like how some sell fuel. I'd be okay with that!

Reactions: Phlier
Assuming this is Rock Falls Raceway, PlugShare says there is a Supercharger in Eau Claire 13 miles away next to Panera Bread. Should rather manageable.
Yeah, that's the one I noticed at second glace too. It's about 20min away in the wrong direction, so that's a bummer, but that's probably what I'll do.
I'll get the car pre-conditioned, supercharge to 100%, baby it to the track with no audio or AC, see how many passes I can make before ~70% SoC. Maybe head back for a top off.

Thanks!