Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Day of judgement is coming and I'm disappointed in the 3SR owners.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
I was unsure if this day was coming but I was always prepared for it.

Tesla has emailed many, hopefully all the 3SR purchasers who received a 3SR+ at delivery.

The email states that they will be downgraded to 3SR in the coming days and they can pay for a 3SR+ upgrade if they decide.

In a well functioning world where people have integrity, honor, and a sense of justice - no one would say a word in protest. If anything, take your free partial premium interior and STFU

I always expect that there is always "that guy" who is a loser and would rationalize somehow they are still owed 3SR+ despite not paying for it. There's multiple "those guys" and that makes me lose confidence in the quality of people in the community.

I'm not disappointed in the downgrade (why should I be?), I'm disappointed in those who want to pull out their monroney stickers and think they are owed something.

I was unsure if this day was coming but I was always prepared for it.

Tesla has emailed many, hopefully all the 3SR purchasers who received a 3SR+ at delivery.

The email states that they will be downgraded to 3SR in the coming days and they can pay for a 3SR+ upgrade if they decide.

In a well functioning world where people have integrity, honor, and a sense of justice - no one would say a word in protest. If anything, take your free partial premium interior and STFU

I always expect that there is always "that guy" who is a loser and would rationalize somehow they are still owed 3SR+ despite not paying for it. There's multiple "those guys" and that makes me lose confidence in the quality of people in the community.

I'm not disappointed in the downgrade (why should I be?), I'm disappointed in those who want to pull out their monroney stickers and think they are owed something.

And there's those that got "free" Enhanced Autopilot ( now obsolete) when they should have gotten the new AP.. don't think Tesla has downgraded those accounts .. yet... surely it'll be '3 months maybe, 6 months definitely '... lol

No worries MXWing.. you know what they say about karma..

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
I don’t think people should get the upgrade for free, but Tesla does this stuff to themselves.

It can’t be that hard to have a printer in the delivery center to print correct stickers for people. Probably less than the cost of the fines if people pursue this. Mine wasn’t actually a sticker, just a big piece of paper. Unless there are some weird regulations about stickers having to come from the factory, but I doubt that because I have seen plenty of dealer add ons on window stickers (ppf, tint for example)

It’s like amateur hour every day there. After selling cars since 2012. You would think they would have figured it out by now. I have little sympathy at this point. Maybe they should flex their startup tech muscles and have a system that automatically cuts the window sticker once the MVPA is in place. Delivery guy just grabs it as part of the pre-delivery prep.

My first two Model 3’s did not have any window stickers. It never occurred to me that they should so I didn’t give it much thought.

On my third Model 3 delivery I finally remembered to ask for the window sticker. The guy looked at me like I was from another planet but did proceed to go to the back office and print out the sticker for me. I walked around the Costa Mesa showroom which had at least ten cars ready for delivery and not a single one had a sticker anywhere in sight. I get the impression that Tesla doesn’t believe the Monroney law really applies to them. Maybe they think they are really selling a giant computer on wheels and not an actual car.

I think because Tesla is not a dealership, the sticker rule/ law/act - may not apply. I'm no lawyer and I am not versed at all on this but every site I look up to read about it, it says it's required by DEALERSHIPS.. I'm not rationalizing they shouldn't have stickers, just trying to make sense of why you don't see the cars all stickered up like a dealership and why many of us drove off in cars with with no stickers.

***Just my theory***

"It is named for Oklahoma Senator Almer Stillwell “Mike” Monroney, who sponsored the act as a way of ensuring proper pricing disclosure on the sale of new vehicles. It is illegal to sell a new car at a dealership without a Monroney label affixed to the vehicle."

Tesla Service Centers are not dealerships- this why they are harassed in some states... ehmmmmm , NC for one..

Last edited:
I don’t think people should get the upgrade for free, but Tesla does this stuff to themselves.

It can’t be that hard to have a printer in the delivery center to print correct stickers for people. Probably less than the cost of the fines if people pursue this. Mine wasn’t actually a sticker, just a big piece of paper. Unless there are some weird regulations about stickers having to come from the factory, but I doubt that because I have seen plenty of dealer add ons on window stickers (ppf, tint for example)

It’s like amateur hour every day there. After selling cars since 2012. You would think they would have figured it out by now. I have little sympathy at this point. Maybe they should flex their startup tech muscles and have a system that automatically cuts the window sticker once the MVPA is in place. Delivery guy just grabs it as part of the pre-delivery prep.

I can pretty much tell you why amateur hour happens at Tesla and probably at a lot of businesses - they NEVER ACHIEVE STABILITY.

I run multiple business units and I see the most amateur, obvious, inane things cross my desk. Even I make bone head mistakes to my extreme ire. It’s constantly Tetris.

What happens is newer, higher priority problems or emergencies pop up constantly never letting lower things on the totem pole get addressed.

Service always takes a back seat to making sales.

Will poor service bite you in the ass. It sure will.. but sell first.. worry later.

Finding out company policy through your bosses twitter isn't the most organized way of running things either.

It doesn't help Tesla being a public company and has to make decisions around arbitrary deadlines. Sales on July 1st are practically worthless. Unless the sale was made on June 30th, those sales that were made on July 1st is going to hammer Tesla for months and months when analysts are wondering what a mess the company is. Those July 1st sales won't count until September 30th.

Endless treadmill.

Last edited:
They should have the sticker anyhow, to be able to read all the new car details.

Will they print new stickers every time a feature is added? That just struck me as funny. I can't even get Tesla to add the now long gone EAP to my official account. I can't imagine getting it on a sticker.

I'll give them this though: I actually OVERpaid delivery day ... (maybe had there been a sticker- that wouldn't have happened!) .. lol.. anyway, several months later I got a refund check. So they DID do the right thing. Just as those who got MORE than they paid for, they now owe Tesla a check.

Reactions: Brando and MXWing
"It is named for Oklahoma Senator Almer Stillwell “Mike” Monroney, who sponsored the act as a way of ensuring proper pricing disclosure on the sale of new vehicles. It is illegal to sell a new car at a dealership without a Monroney label affixed to the vehicle."

Tesla Service Centers are not dealerships- this why they are harassed in some states... ehmmmmm , NC for one..
According to the law Tesla it is considered as a dealership for what it concerns the Monroney Sticker (please refer to [USC04] 15 USC Ch. 28: DISCLOSURE OF AUTOMOBILE INFORMATION)

Anyhow agree with the thread. People always want more, even if they got a lot more of what they were supposed to get, and Tesla always said the extra feature were going to be taken away.
I understand being frugal (I am) but I think what I’ve seen on other thread is not a good sign of progress as society.

• Informative
Reactions: BBone
The issue is more complicated than people "in the know" trying to get something for nothing. What about the people who were told multiple times that the car they have now will only lose autopilot and range? The sales reps at the dealerships have said in many cases the acceleration is the same between the SR and SR+ and they only thing that will change is the reduced mileage and the lack of auto pilot. I am sure a lot of people who were on the fence about making the purchase would have passed if they knew more features were going to be deleted. These folks rely on what is being told to them BY TESLA and the window sticker. Sure, if they did deep research and scanned the forums they would know differently but not everyone does that. They trust Tesla's word and carry on with life. Then they get a contradicting email and I can see why some are upset. As another member stated in the other thread..... the 7 day test drive was for the car that was delivered. Now that they have changed the rules and deleted some features, they need to give the SR buyers another 7 days to decide if the car is acceptable with the new slower acceleration and other features that may be deleted. A simple fix to this problem would have been for Tesla to have IN WRITING a list of features that will be taken away, Not some he said/she said confusion that sales reps say. These are the only face to face people customers have with the company and they should be able to be trusted. If they are not trained well, that's Tesla's problem to fix and until then they should stand by their product and eat their loss since it was their mistake. Tesla's confusion and chaotic way of doing business makes them look bad. VERY bad.

I’ve seen more entitlement since coming into the Tesla family than I’ve seen anywhere else. Yes, Tesla brings it on themselves but it’s still amazingly bad.

The VAST majority of SR buyers knew exactly what they were supposed to get and were banking on something for nothing. Many SR+ buyers were opening wanting to downgrade just to get the free money, banking that this day wouldn’t come.

This is just the latest thing to whine about.

The issue is more complicated than people "in the know" trying to get something for nothing. What about the people who were told multiple times that the car they have now will only lose autopilot and range? The sales reps at the dealerships have said in many cases the acceleration is the same between the SR and SR+ and they only thing that will change is the reduced mileage and the lack of auto pilot.

Given that the acceleration is not listed on the sticker, I'm not sure how much of a case can be made here. Perhaps if you have that promise in writing you might have a case, but the costs of pursuing the claim against Tesla might outstrip the option to upgrade.

If this was an irreversible change, I'd have significantly more sympathy for your case. Indeed, if you have gotten used to features that you did not pay for, and can never access them again, I can see how that would impact satisfaction with the car itself and a feeling that you did not get a chance to adequately evaluate it during the return period.

However, it is not - at any point - now, tomorrow, next year - you could chose to pay the difference and restore the features. So it's really at your option - you can choose to keep the experience you paid for, or chose to keep the features you've been enjoying until now. I'll wholeheartedly agree that Tesla doesn't do a great job communicating about what comes with each model. When I purchased an SR+, I was unclear exactly what I would be getting on several smaller features/accessories. But it isn't a matter of being locked into a suboptimal experience with no options.

My SR+ was delivered with features I didn't pay for - I had summon and NoAP initially, and I had satellite view maps. Those were removed via software update about a week after I took delivery, with no notice. So this type of thing is pretty standard Tesla practice. I didn't even have the option to upgrade back to satellite view maps, which I would have considered if it came with streaming audio and other features.

My SR+ was delivered with features I didn't pay for - I had summon and NoAP initially, and I had satellite view maps. Those were removed via software update about a week after I took delivery, with no notice. So this type of thing is pretty standard Tesla practice. I didn't even have the option to upgrade back to satellite view maps, which I would have considered if it came with streaming audio and other features.

The point here is that people were told BY TESLA that the only features that were going to change is range and auto pilot deletion (meaning everything else was permanent). Were you told your features were permanent? Probably not. Its not an apples to apples argument.

Reactions: BBone