Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Day One- A report on my first 24 hours with the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought that I would spend a few minutes to thank everyone on the forums and describe my delivery and early experience with the Model S. Here goes:
1. I arrived at my service center promptly at the scheduled noon appointment and my DS was waiting for me outside. She (my MS) was waiting for me outside. I haven't fallen in love this quickly since I met my wife. I believe my first words to Adam when I saw my Multi Coat Red with black top and Napa Tan Interior were "she is so f****** gorgeous".
2. I took out my clipboard with the delivery checklists from the forums and proceeded to go down each of the items. Interestingly, Adam was an avid reader of the forums and knew what to look for. Exterior fit and finish- perfect. Operation of windows and doors--perfect. Floor mats--newest model-no problem. The only thing that is still occurring according to Adam is the condensation in the tail lights. He said that when a fix is finally found, they would recall the cars and change it. In the meantime, it is not that big an issue.
3. We sat in the interior and Adam patiently reviewed the controls. We hooked up the Bluetooth from my iPhone and my 1600 contacts were transferred in a matter of minutes. No problems.
4. After esigning a document on the website and ink signing registration form, we took a test drive. The car was everything that was advertised and it was time to go home.
5. Setting up the homelink and radio was a snap. I looks like the homelink geo locator allows me to have a range of locations, so I don't have to be right in front of my garage to use it. The Tune-In and Slacker Radio services are fabulous. Bye bye Sirius/XM. You really don't need them with the programming on these services. I love having all of my favorite Tune In, Slacker and FM stations in one place. My only problem was not having a wifi signal in my garage. I'll get a range extender and fix that so that I can get my software updates.
6. My "shakedown cruise" was a trip from Washington to Philadelphia. An easy 134 miles. I added a few extra miles and charged to 268 for the trip. We had heavy rains in DC on Friday, so it was a good day to test the car in these conditions. The bottom line is that the car felt as safe as any car that I have driven. Road hugging, solid feel. An 18 wheeler driving next to you doesn't push the car with its jet stream.
7. I did notice a few things driving in the rain. The rain sensing wipers tend to have a mind of their own. There were a few times that I wish the wiping speed was faster. The back window and sometimes the side mirrors do not shed rain well. Having he rear camera was helpful, but in the rain the lens gets covered with water. Driving without rain, the rear camera makes up for all of the limited back widow lack of visability. The camera has great definition and an incredible peripheral view. You can see cars on your right almost until they get to the front passenger door.
8. Using the maximum regen was not a problem for me. You hardly need to step on the brake with this feature and it didn't feel that the car was slowing down too quickly.
9. You really need to get used to the location of the cruise control, wiper and turn signal levers. I have pushed the cruise control to many times while trying to use the turn signal lever. I'll get used to it.
10. I'm happy that I got the parking sensors. Despite being warned by these devices, I scraped the front and the back of the car or curbs so far. The MS has a low profile-- so be careful.
11. The only thing that seems to be a problem right now is the trunk lid opening too far in my garage. If there is a way of limiting the distance that it opens, I haven't found it.
12. After driving almost all the way to Philly, my lower back and butt were in agony. Then I found the lumbar support control on the seat. I hope that I can get this properly adjusted.
All in all, its been a great first 24 hours. Thanks for all of the forum members for your great tips and suggestions

7. You can mostly avoid the wipers if you use a hyrdophobic product like the ones from Chemicalguys or RainX.

9. Just shows you didn't come from a Mercedes, because that's where those parts came from.

10. Use the tilting mirrors and rear camera when parking, not the sensors. When the curb or paint line is at the bottom of the screen you are perfect.

11. If you have the tech package, then you can limit the opening of the rear hatch by manually putting it in the position you want and then pressing and holding the close button until you hear the three beeps.

#9 Keep your hands at 9 and 3 instead of 10 and 2 and the directionals will be at your fingertips.

#11 Manually set the height to where you want the trunk lid. Hold in the Close button until you hear 2 beeps, that should do it.

Last edited:
Congrats! As for #11, of you have the tech package then you can set the height at which the trunk opens. Simply open, then manually pull down to where you want to set the max height, and then press and hold the closure button just next to that inside handle until it beeps.

Last edited:
#9 Please note (I wasn't told at my delivery) the cruise control stick has two clicks on it, one click up is +1 mph, full up is +5 mph (same for decelerating).

I am a Mercedes driver (but latest Merc is 2003--the +5 mph feature must have been added after that)

Enjoy your car!!

-m

Congrats! As for #11, of you have the tech package then you can set the height at which the trunk opens. Simply open, then manually pull down to where you want to set the max height, and then press and hold the closure button just next to that inside handle until it beeps.

Thanks for your help on #11. Now, how do I remove the nick in the clear coat from the trunk lid bumping into my garage door! Everyone on this forum is awesome!