Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Day one with my Kia Rio. Really missing my Model 3 while it’s in the Body shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
H

hcdavis3

So my Model 3 is in the body shop due to a minor accident. My Rental is the aforementioned Kia. Here are some of the things I’ve instinctively been doing. First I walked away from the car without turning it off. It’s pretty quiet. I reached for the right hand stalk to put it in drive but that turns on the wipers. Day two and I’m still doing that. I tried to open the door but the button I hit opens the window. Expecting hold to work like it does on my 3, I nearly hit a car in front of me. I have to be very careful when accelerating because there’s no instant torque like on my Tesla. Zero to sixty time of 15 seconds doesn’t cut it.
I forgot to get my garage door opener out of my Tesla when I switched cars. When I got home I was expecting my door to magically open like it always does. I have Homelink. I have to go back to retrieve it.

It’s gonna be a long couple of weeks till I get my car back. I’m fortunate as I have a really good Tesla approved body shop handling my work. The experience just just tells me once again. I’ll never buy another ICE car. Nothing compares with my Tesla. Thanks for listening. Carter

So my Model 3 is in the body shop due to a minor accident. My Rental is the aforementioned Kia. Here are some of the things I’ve instinctively been doing. First I walked away from the car without turning it off. It’s pretty quiet. I reached for the right hand stalk to put it in drive but that turns on the wipers. Day two and I’m still doing that. I tried to open the door but the button I hit opens the window. Expecting hold to work like it does on my 3, I nearly hit a car in front of me. I have to be very careful when accelerating because there’s no instant torque like on my Tesla. Zero to sixty time of 15 seconds doesn’t cut it.
I forgot to get my garage door opener out of my Tesla when I switched cars. When I got home I was expecting my door to magically open like it always does. I have Homelink. I have to go back to retrieve it.

It’s gonna be a long couple of weeks till I get my car back. I’m fortunate as I have a really good Tesla approved body shop handling my work. The experience just just tells me once again. I’ll never buy another ICE car. Nothing compares with my Tesla. Thanks for listening. Carter

Hey Carter great to hear from you! Yes I had a recent experience with driving my previously much-loved and track modified IS350. Rides like a tank due to coilovers with the shocks set all the way hard. You get into it driving on anything other than a glass smooth Road and you feel like you need a kidney belt. Oh well, at least it accelerates reasonably – or at least that's what I thought. Then you press the accelerator and you get a god-awful racket as the car slowly oozes forward getting to 60 in about 5 Seconds which feels like an eternity while drawing all kinds of undesirable attention from the noisy engine and low restriction exhaust. 2 seconds slower than the Tesla. Even the handling of the IS350 is a step behind the Tesla. When the Tesla was new (before it got coilovers upgraded wheels and tires, etc etc) even the stock Tesla handled about as well as my modified IS350. Now that the Tesla has been comparably tuned up it's no contest. So even the handling which used to be the car's forte seems primitive and clumsy. And who replaced that beautiful 15 in screen with a little iPhone 4 screen for navigation? Jesus Christ the thing is tiny! And how crappy is it that you can't dictate a destination into the thing either! How stupid is that! Then there's the plethora of buttons, knobs and other extraneous BS. And worst of all, I have to stop at gas stations! Who knew that I hated gas stations until I no longer had to go there!. I can't just plug the car in at night - damn! Fortunately we're giving the IS350 away to my daughter-in-law (don't tell her but we'd probably pay her to take it!) who will be much more appreciative of it. She is not hopelessly spoiled like we are. :cool::cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: hcdavis3