TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Day running lights (aka DRL)

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by AndreyATC, Jan 12, 2017.

1. AndreyATC

AndreyATC Member

Puzzled
    Manual shows the DRL on the page 106 as a setting, but that same button on the car screen is showing Rear Fog, which doesn't do anything. My MS had DRL on the screen as well
    Is this just iteration of the software, or permanently removed feature?

2. deque

deque Member

The rear fog button turns on the rear fog lights. They are small lights that are highly directional so that cars can see you from a distance in fog (imagine like a laser pointer shooting backwards but not quite as narrow). They are very bright -- turning them on when not in the fog might even encourage the driver behind you to stop tail gaiting! It's not immediately obvious where they are since they don't illuminate anything behind the car -- once you find them you'll understand.

3. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r S85 since 12/8/12, X90 since 12/20/16

I think deque missed the question, but I have the same one. Just got an MX with AP2 and am frustrated with the lack of DRL. We have them on our 2012 Model S and I also saw the button in the manual when I went looking. Can someone with an MX with AP1 hardware confirm that they have this button? If so, I'm thinking this is just one of the things missing while they calibrate AP2 software for AP2 hardware...

4. AndreyATC

AndreyATC Member

I'm an OP and my car is AP1.
    No DRL button
    2015 Model S with the same software and hardware was showing it

• Informative x 2
  5. Trnsl8r

Well that's disappointing... Why on earth would they have DRL on the S but not on the X?

6. Blastphemy

Blastphemy Member

DRLs are always on in the Model X.

• Like x 1
  7. Trnsl8r

Care to elaborate? They're not always on in mine.

8. AndreyATC

AndreyATC Member

I believe they are never on when the lights are off

9. RichardL

RichardL Member

Mine are always on, whenever the car is turned on. I thought that the point in the S was to provide the ability to not have the DRL active. But in the X, they are just on...

10. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I'm pretty sure the light pipe wrapped around the headlights is on anytime the car is on, and serves as the DRL.

11. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.42

If range mode is on, DRLs will be off.

12. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Oh, that's interesting.

If you're sure that's correct, it could be an answer to the discussions about camping and drive in theatres where no one could figure out how to turn them off and folks talked about bringing blankets.

13. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

Out of curiosity, I changed my X settings to and from Range Mode. (Caps used to announce results, no other intent). As long as the car is on, the DRLs are ON, regardless of Range Mode setting. However, to get all the lights OFF, the car must be in Park and set the Headlights to OFF. At this point ALL the lights are OFF. If one puts the X in gear, the DRLs will come ON, even if the X's headlights are OFF. I think this is for safety. Welcome differing scenario's.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  14. Trnsl8r

I contacted Tesla service to ask this question and received this response (underlining mine):

(It went on to explain how to reboot the car in case my car is not in range mode and the DRLs still don't come on...)

Still... if this is indeed the reason, this sounds really dumb... The energy savings of not having DRL come on couldn't possibly amount to more than a couple of yards in real life... And why is this different from the S where I have a button for DRL but can still enable range mode?

Anyway... I don't drive the X daily, so I'll go home and mess with the range mode to see if that does anything.

15. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

In some countries, DRL must be on at all times while driving (by law). It's like that here in Canada. So, I doubt you can turn it off, but I'll give it a try tomorrow night.

16. AndreyATC

AndreyATC Member

I would like them on regardless of the driving mode
    These are DRLs!
    I'm always in range mode, just because it's more efficient and has no downsides for me
    It's silly to disable safety feature when you conserve energy

17. Trnsl8r

+1 definitely

Didn't get around to testing the range mode theory on my car, as it's dark by the time I get home... but will give it a shot this weekend.

18. Trnsl8r

Just to close the loop, I tried it and can confirm: DRLs come on and off with Rande Mode. Disappointing that it's not its own setting.

• Informative x 1
  19. wayner

wayner Active Member

I think DRLs are required in pretty much every country except the US and Australia.

• Informative x 1
  20. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

In daylight, the DRL turn off in Range mode. In darkness they do not, they come on automatically even if the head lights are turned off.