Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Day running lights (aka DRL)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rear fog button turns on the rear fog lights. They are small lights that are highly directional so that cars can see you from a distance in fog (imagine like a laser pointer shooting backwards but not quite as narrow). They are very bright -- turning them on when not in the fog might even encourage the driver behind you to stop tail gaiting! It's not immediately obvious where they are since they don't illuminate anything behind the car -- once you find them you'll understand.

I think deque missed the question, but I have the same one. Just got an MX with AP2 and am frustrated with the lack of DRL. We have them on our 2012 Model S and I also saw the button in the manual when I went looking. Can someone with an MX with AP1 hardware confirm that they have this button? If so, I'm thinking this is just one of the things missing while they calibrate AP2 software for AP2 hardware...

Oh, that's interesting.

If you're sure that's correct, it could be an answer to the discussions about camping and drive in theatres where no one could figure out how to turn them off and folks talked about bringing blankets.

Out of curiosity, I changed my X settings to and from Range Mode. (Caps used to announce results, no other intent). As long as the car is on, the DRLs are ON, regardless of Range Mode setting. However, to get all the lights OFF, the car must be in Park and set the Headlights to OFF. At this point ALL the lights are OFF. If one puts the X in gear, the DRLs will come ON, even if the X's headlights are OFF. I think this is for safety. Welcome differing scenario's.

I contacted Tesla service to ask this question and received this response (underlining mine):

The signature lights should turn on when your vehicle is powered on and gear for driving is engaged. If your vehicle has Range Mode on, it may disable this to conserve energy.

(It went on to explain how to reboot the car in case my car is not in range mode and the DRLs still don't come on...)

Still... if this is indeed the reason, this sounds really dumb... The energy savings of not having DRL come on couldn't possibly amount to more than a couple of yards in real life... And why is this different from the S where I have a button for DRL but can still enable range mode?

Anyway... I don't drive the X daily, so I'll go home and mess with the range mode to see if that does anything.

I would like them on regardless of the driving mode
These are DRLs!
I'm always in range mode, just because it's more efficient and has no downsides for me
It's silly to disable safety feature when you conserve energy

+1 definitely

Didn't get around to testing the range mode theory on my car, as it's dark by the time I get home... but will give it a shot this weekend.