Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Day trip from Seattle through Olympic to La Push coast area. Suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is supposed to arrive next week and a friend is coming in town and wants to visit Olympic National park and see the coast. I've done this before in an ICE but this will be the first trip in my S85. Any suggestions from people that have done the trip before?

I assumed we'd do a full charge, put range mode on then take the ferry across, charge for two hours in Port Angeles at the free charger that kind members of the forum sponsored. Continue on to Forks area and La Push coastal area, then turn around and come back to Port Angeles charger and then back to Seattle (with a side trip or two along the way).

I'm probably a bit nervous because it'll be the first major trip, in addition it'll be to an area where there are few charging options on plug share and if a perfect storm of the holiday weekend hits with everyone using the chargers it might be a mess.

Your proposed itinerary should work well range-wise - but that's certainly a lot of driving for one day.

You might also want to consider going to Neah Bay instead. The distance is about the same as La Push, and the drive in total is a bit nicer I think (more coast, less forest - but you'll miss out on Lake Crescent).
Plus you can charge almost directly at the beach - there is a total of 4 public Tesla HPWCs at the Hobuck beach RV resort now). The beach at the Resort is nice, but not as spectacular as in La Push. Cape Flattery is really nice and close-by.

You could do a hike to Shi Shi beach which is outstanding and within the NP boundary. It's ~1 hr of a muddy hike each way, and you need to drive a few minutes from Neah Bay to the trail head - so unfortunately can't charge at the Resort while on that hike. You still have the option to charge in Port Angeles on your way there or back.

Thanks everyone. I was able to take my friend to La Push and Rialto beach, we charged in Port Angeles on the way there for about 2 hours while eating breakfast then another 2 hours on the way back for a late lunch and a visit around town. Made it home with 28 miles of charge left. My first long trip on the car since it is less than a week old and already I feel range anxiety draining away.