Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Day trip plan, San Diego to Magic Mountain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How would you plan a day trip to Magic Mountain from San Diego in a MS 85? Looks like there are no EV chargers at Magic Mountain in Valencia. The one-way trip from my house is 148mi on Google maps. The Hawthorne super charger is 115 miles from home and just 43 miles from the park, just a small detour.

Option 1: ultra-conservative: stop in Hawthorne both ways. I don't like this because I can easily get to Magic Mountain on a full charge and I want to do better.

Option 2: take a chance: range charge at home. Drive all the way to the park. Go 65mph (heh, traffic should make that even slower). I should still have 75+ miles of range and I would just stop in Hawthorne (43 miles) on the way back. Is this crazy? Backup plan if I run out of range on the way home would be to plugshare/blink somewhere, just enough to get to the supercharger.

Option 3: Has anyone else made this trip? Is there a convenient place to charge while riding the roller coasters?

Thanks!

In my opinion, a ~200 mile trip (SD to Magic Mountain to Hawthorne) definitely requires slower driving and it basically leaves no room for error. My preference would be to stop at the SC on the way there and see how you did in terms of efficiency. That will give you a much better idea of whether you will "easily" make it back to San Diego without stopping on the way back, or not. Alternatively, you could keep both routes and plans and decide which way to go based on traffic conditions.

Also, I'm a fan of the planning website - EVTripPlanner
It takes into consideration your route elevation, speed, etc. Also gives you an idea of the impact of headwind, tire size, version of model S.

This conversation will hopefully be obsolete within a few weeks when the SC in the vicinity of San Juan Capistrano is installed.

Last edited:
I wish there was more news on the San Juan Capistrano site. I'm making a trip from the Bay Area to San Diego for Comic Con and Having to detour to downtown LA is less than ideal.

I'm just thankful I can make the trip at all, at least getting stuck in traffic is much better in a Model S than other cars. :)

I wish there was more news on the San Juan Capistrano site. I'm making a trip from the Bay Area to San Diego for Comic Con and Having to detour to downtown LA is less than ideal.

I'm just thankful I can make the trip at all, at least getting stuck in traffic is much better in a Model S than other cars. :)

I'll be at CC on Saturday, while my friends are doing all days. Perhaps I'll see you there (or not since it is gonna be crowded).

I was just researching the route, and actually going down the 405 instead of the 5 is not that big a deal, and depending on the time of day might actually be faster. So the detour to Hawthorne is not too bad.

I was just researching the route, and actually going down the 405 instead of the 5 is not that big a deal, and depending on the time of day might actually be faster. So the detour to Hawthorne is not too bad.
I'll probably hit it around mid day on the Tuesday. Fingers crossed it isn't too bad, I guess I just plan for the worst and them I'm pleasantly surprised if it works out better. Lol

i was thinking of doing Magic Mountain on the way back and had planned on doing Hawthorne on that leg too. It was just too tight to Tejon a ranch from SD for my liking. In the end we opted for Disneyland instead.

The temperature is going to be in the 90s in Valencia, so you're going to be using your AC quite a bit. I'd stop at Hawthorne on the way up, and then decide whether or not a stop at Hawthorne is necessary on the way home.

(I'd also rather stop in the morning than at the end of the day when everyone is exhausted from a day at the park and just wants to get home!)

I would charge on the way down. When you return home see where your charge is at, then and make a judgement call.

One problem with charging on the way out is that it takes longer for the supercharger to get you from 240 miles to 260 miles than for it to get you from 10 to 30...

In San Jose, there's a slight wind from the SE in the morning and a strong wind (~15 mph average) from the NW in the afternoon. If you start the day in Hollister, spend the day in Fremont, and then return to Hollister that evening, you're way better off than doing the reverse. If that pattern holds for SD->Valencia, one charge might be fine.
Otherwise, it's pretty close. The below capture is for driving around 80mph on I-5.
EVInput.JPG
EVOutput.JPG