Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Day trip to Maine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have started to do road trips again, yesterday we went to Pemaquid Light in Maine. On the way up we stopped at the North bound Kennebunk service plaza to charge and go to the bathroom. This was always our bathroom stop and in fact the Superchargers there are the reason I bought a Tesla in 2019, when Maine got coverage is when owning a Tesla became practical. The Kennebunk Superchargers are a lot busier then they were before the pandemic, it used to be there might be one other car there now there were four or five when we arrived, Tesla should think about adding a few more chargers in Kennebunk preferably V3s. After our stop we had lunch at Eventide Oyster. There are barriers in the street which give them a pretty big tented outdoor space. Eventide's brown butter lobster roll is one of the best things I've ever eaten, you have to try it. It's not like any lobster roll that you've ever had. After lunch we did a little shopping and then headed up to Pemaquid Light which is in New Harbor. I did a quick 10 minute top up at the Freeport Supercharger, I really didn't need it but I wanted to check it out. The Freeport Supercharger is in LL Bean's parking lot, if you want to go to the bathroom you'll have to go into LL Bean's. All we did was drink a Coke and head on our way. After spending a little time at the Lighthouse we headed over to Muscongus Bay Lobster for more oysters, bisque and soft shelled lobsters. At Eventide we had an assortment of oysters, at Muscongus we decided to just do Pemaquids, those are Maine's best oysters. On the way home we stopped at the Southbound Kennebunk Service plaza for a quick stop. We wouldn't have been able to make it home without charging but in the time it took to drink a Coke and go to the bathroom I got enough charge to get home with 39% to spare.

Obligatory rant. Tesla hasn't done anything to expand Supercharging in Maine in the last couple of years. Bar Harbor has been pending for several years and is now showing 2022. They don't even have plans for anything else. They need to put a Supercharger in Midcoast Maine on Route 1, ideally around Camden or Rockport. They also need to fix their crappy navigation. The lack of options is becoming intolerable. One of my primary reasons for going to Freeport was because it's on Route 1 and I was hoping that would force the nav to use Route 1 but when we left Freeport it put us right back onto 295 and didn't put us on to 1 until it had to just before Bath. I'm looking for a phone mount so that I can use Google Maps but it galls me that I have to do that, I don't like having to go back to 2015 before I had a car with decent navigation or with Android Auto. When we go to Maine I want to be on the seacoast not i95. When we go to Vermont, which we will do in the next couple of weeks, I want to be on mountain roads not i89.

Set the navigation to avoid highways
Tesla doesn't have that option, that's what I'm bitching about. All they have is Avoid Tolls, Avoid Ferries and Use HOVs. Only Avoid Tolls has any utility, the others are useless, how often is there a ferry on your route and the HOV thing is for California only. We have two miles of HOVs in all of New England and EVs don't get any special priviledges on them.

Last edited:
Obligatory rant. Tesla hasn't done anything to expand Supercharging in Maine in the last couple of years. Bar Harbor has been pending for several years and is now showing 2022. They don't even have plans for anything else. They need to put a Supercharger in Midcoast Maine on Route 1, ideally around Camden or Rockport. They also need to fix their crappy navigation. The lack of options is becoming intolerable. One of my primary reasons for going to Freeport was because it's on Route 1 and I was hoping that would force the nav to use Route 1 but when we left Freeport it put us right back onto 295 and didn't put us on to 1 until it had to just before Bath. I'm looking for a phone mount so that I can use Google Maps but it galls me that I have to do that, I don't like having to go back to 2015 before I had a car with decent navigation or with Android Auto. When we go to Maine I want to be on the seacoast not i95. When we go to Vermont, which we will do in the next couple of weeks, I want to be on mountain roads not i89.

Tesla keeps showing a Supercharger "coming soon" for Farmington on their "find us" website map. That will help out on day trips to Saddleback, Sugarloaf, and the general Rangeley Lakes region.

We have started to do road trips again, yesterday we went to Pemaquid Light in Maine. On the way up we stopped at the North bound Kennebunk service plaza to charge and go to the bathroom. This was always our bathroom stop and in fact the Superchargers there are the reason I bought a Tesla in 2019, when Maine got coverage is when owning a Tesla became practical. The Kennebunk Superchargers are a lot busier then they were before the pandemic, it used to be there might be one other car there now there were four or five when we arrived, Tesla should think about adding a few more chargers in Kennebunk preferably V3s. After our stop we had lunch at Eventide Oyster. There are barriers in the street which give them a pretty big tented outdoor space. Eventide's brown butter lobster roll is one of the best things I've ever eaten, you have to try it. It's not like any lobster roll that you've ever had. After lunch we did a little shopping and then headed up to Pemaquid Light which is in New Harbor. I did a quick 10 minute top up at the Freeport Supercharger, I really didn't need it but I wanted to check it out. The Freeport Supercharger is in LL Bean's parking lot, if you want to go to the bathroom you'll have to go into LL Bean's. All we did was drink a Coke and head on our way. After spending a little time at the Lighthouse we headed over to Muscongus Bay Lobster for more oysters, bisque and soft shelled lobsters. At Eventide we had an assortment of oysters, at Muscongus we decided to just do Pemaquids, those are Maine's best oysters. On the way home we stopped at the Southbound Kennebunk Service plaza for a quick stop. We wouldn't have been able to make it home without charging but in the time it took to drink a Coke and go to the bathroom I got enough charge to get home with 39% to spare.

If you know you want to via Rt 1, just stay on Rt 1. In a short while Navigation will replan the trip on Rt 1.

Reactions: kayak1
Tesla doesn't have that option, that's what I'm bitching about. All they have is Avoid Tolls, Avoid Ferries and Use HOVs. Only Avoid Tolls has any utility, the others are useless, how often is there a ferry on your route and the HOV thing is for California only. We have two miles of HOVs in all of New England and EVs don't get any special priviledges on them.

2.6 miles:

5.4 miles:

2.6 miles:

5.4 miles:
EVs have no special rights in MA, the single short HOV lane in MA is for car pools only. In California EVs can get a sticker that allows them to use HOV lanes even if they have only one passenger, that's why Tesla has the option, it's useless for everyone else in the world.

Reactions: jlv1
EVs have no special rights in MA, the single short HOV lane in MA is for car pools only. In California EVs can get a sticker that allows them to use HOV lanes even if they have only one passenger, that's why Tesla has the option, it's useless for everyone else in the world.
When you have two people in the car it helps when you can use the zipper lane (assuming that nobody has an accident or breaks down in the zipper lane).