Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daylesford - King’s Cottage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone has stayed at King’s Cottage Daylesford? Reason I ask is they advertise a Tesla Destination Wall Charger (as well as on Tesla’s website) that it only charges at 3kw, seems strange as the photos they show only is the same unit we all have at home.

Does anyone have experience?

Thanks....

No knowledge about that one, but with the dip switches inside these units a wide range of charging outputs can be regulated. The unit at Westfield in Chatswood has been dumbed down to match the output of the chargepoint units adjacent, mores the pity. When first installed it was putting out the full 40amps.

@Brando 3kw is very slow for a wall charger, as a matter of fact why bother installing one? Why not install an outside GPO and Tesla customers can use their portable charger? Like a reason for it to be faster? Say I turn up at 6pm and need to leave the next morning early with a full charge, at 3kw's forget it, it isn't going to happen. Like another reason? I turn up with not many km's remaining but would like to pop out to local attractions so hoped I could get a quick 100km's over 2-3 hours on the establishments supplied destination charger before I head out, on 3kw's forget it....I'd like to smell the roses but may need to get there, know what I mean, get it?

For clarification, we're in Australia not NZ....

Last edited:
@Brando 3kw is very slow for a wall charger, as a matter of fact why bother installing one? Why not install an outside GPO and Tesla customers can use their portable charger? Like a reason for it to be faster? Say I turn up at 6pm and need to leave the next morning early with a full charge, at 3kw's forget it, it isn't going to happen. Like another reason? I turn up with a not many km's remaining but would like to pop out to local attractions so hoped I could get a quick 100km's over 2-3 hours on the establishments supplied destination charger, on 3kw's forget it....I'd like to smell the roses but may need to get there, know what I mean, get it?

For clarification, we're in Australia not NZ....
oops - meant to be light hearted - what would a driver of a 30 year old Saab know anyway.
So you are from that bigger island downunder? o_O good luck with your trip.

We had a 3kW charger installed in my town - clueless town officials just spending money - even on an 11x5 mile island pretty worthless.
I thought perhaps it was for electric bicycles. Only those that want things for free would even bother to get out the charge cord. Now you have to use a credit card. Maybe the e-motorcycle guys will use it??

I hope your home country can avoid sending young men to die in any of our senseless wars.

I keep expecting some Aussie to start up a battery factory (team up with Panasonic?) as it seems you have all the raw materials AND could use solar power to run the battery plant. Ship cars in, batteries out.

I wondered about this when I first noticed it.

Seems an outlander PHEV has used it according to plugshare and it is 15A.

6B6F4CBA-3022-49BB-8913-64F30174F2E8.jpeg

I’m staying at Kings Cottage now. 16A maximum. I suspect it’s due to dip switch settings. The charger appears to be connected to a 32A breaker. I notified the letting agent who seemed unaware but said they would notify the owners...
I made the same mistake when installing a new circuit for my wall connector and specified a 32A circuit thinking that was what I needed for a 32A charger. When it came time for installation the electrician said under Aus/NZ wiring rules the breaker needed to be 40A under the 80% load rule to run continuously at 32A. There is no settings in the wall connector between 32A and 16A so 16A is what it gets set to in order to comply. In my defence I installed the circuit in 2011 before I had even ordered my Model S and have learned a lot since. Still normal disclosure I’m not an electrician and this is only an understanding based on my experience so could contain factual errors.

Just wondering if anyone has stayed at King’s Cottage Daylesford? Reason I ask is they advertise a Tesla Destination Wall Charger (as well as on Tesla’s website) that it only charges at 3kw, seems strange as the photos they show only is the same unit we all have at home.

Does anyone have experience?

Thanks....

Hello EcoCloudIT,

Thank you for your post. We are very happy to advise that after a review, the wall connector at King's Cottage Daylesford is now set to 32 Amps. The Tesla Destination Charging website is in the process of being updated to reflect this increase. Kind Regards, King’s Cottage Daylesford.

I’m staying at Kings Cottage now. 16A maximum. I suspect it’s due to dip switch settings. The charger appears to be connected to a 32A breaker. I notified the letting agent who seemed unaware but said they would notify the owners...

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for staying at King’s Cottage Daylesford and thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are very happy to advise that after a review, the wall connector is now set to 32 Amps. Kind Regards, King’s Cottage Daylesford.

I wondered about this when I first noticed it.

Seems an outlander PHEV has used it according to plugshare and it is 15A.

View attachment 348009
Hello Baillies,

Thank you for your post. FYI only, we are very happy to advise that after a review, the wall connector at King's Cottage Daylesford is now set to 32 Amps. The Tesla Destination Charging website is in the process of being updated to reflect this increase. Plugshare posts now have this update as well. Suffice to say, we are thrilled to have fellow Tesla owners stay at our cottage :). Kind regards, King’s Cottage Daylesford.