TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Daylight running light for Refreshed MS

Discussion in 'Model S' started by K_style, May 31, 2016.

1. K_style

K_style Member

Hello,

Since the delivery little over a week ago, I have been trying to figure out how to turn on those LED lights as daylight running light.

The "Classic" MS has that ability but I cannot find a way to do it on a refreshed model...

Can anyone help?

2. K_style

K_style Member

3. tanner

tanner Active Member

They're just on permanently (no disabling)

4. K_style

K_style Member

Not on mine..

5. zambono

zambono Member

There are other threads on this, there is an issue with the new LED where they only turn on if you set the lights to OFF. Contact Tesla, the more they hear of it the quicker they will fix the issue.

6. K_style

K_style Member

Just called the local Tesla. Told me to come in so they can show me where the "button" is to turn on... I don't think they know what they are talking about....

Asked them to call me back after talking to their tech support.

• Funny x 1
  7. Jason Shelton

Jason Shelton Member

Let us know if they show you where the secret button is :)

• Funny x 1
  8. Dilbagh

Dilbagh Member

Yeah. i got the same response from San Diego SC that there is a DRL button that I can't find.

9. RamshakleZ

RamshakleZ Member

I have to go into my SC Thursday for a separate issue... I'll be sure to ask while there.

10. K_style

K_style Member

So I never got a call back from Palo Alto SC. I will be calling them again this afternoon.

11. Mattzilla

Mattzilla Member

I have been in contact with Tesla about this issue for a few days now. Here is the thread detailing what I learned:

Daytime running lights on refreshed S | Tesla Motors

Interestingly, it seems that Range Mode in the US will keep the DLR turned off when driving with the car lights set to AUTO during the day. You have to manually engage them via the "Parking Lights" option (just remember to set them back to AUTO when you park). Or you can simply disable Range Mode.

I find this inconvenient, but it's also a boost to "camper mode." Now you can leave the car in neutral with the emergency brake engaged and sleep in the back with air conditioning/heat running and the DLR turned off.

12. K_style

K_style Member

Which it makes no sense at all. DRL LED light should have little to no effect on power usage.. I read it about disabling "Range mode" from Model X community..

13. Mattzilla

Mattzilla Member

Couldn't agree more. My service department has forwarded a "feature request" from me to the engineering team about this. Not sure if anything will come of it. But it does appear there is a firmware update in the works that should address this issue to some degree. Will probably still have to keep Range Mode off, though. Bummer.

• Like x 1
  14. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

The new LED DRL's are very dim compared to the original Model S DRL's which are very bright.

Pretty lame. Badass tech marvel with weak lights like the mustang.

15. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Always in Ludicrous mode

just to clarify you where in contact with Tesla about your model x DRL issue. from my understanding the refreshed Model S DRL don't work with or without range mode enabled theres an issue with the firmware on these new cars and the only way to turn on the DRL is to switch to parking lamps!

16. Mattzilla

Mattzilla Member

No. I've been in touch with them about the DLR on my new refreshed Model S. See the thread for more information.

But yes, that appears to be the situation. It appears the firmware fix (when rolled out) will only allow DLR to run when range mode is disabled in the US. That's the information I was given by Tesla staff. So in the meantime you can't get them during the day without manually selecting parking lights.

17. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Always in Ludicrous mode

Thanks for the confirmation!! Hopefully that update rolls out soon, though I would prefer the DRL option menu vs the way the are going with it.

18. K_style

K_style Member

Yes it will be pretty stupid to manually enable DRL when the car has ability to drive it self...

• Like x 1
  19. RamshakleZ

RamshakleZ Member

Confirmed with my SC today as well. Tesla has sent a notice to all Service Centers that they are aware of the issue and will be fixing it in an upcoming firmware update (no ETA on when that would be).

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  20. Mattzilla

Mattzilla Member

Excellent. Thanks for following up!