Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daylight running light for Refreshed MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still an issue. Still waiting for that firmware update. Until then, manually activating parking lights each time I drive is how I'm handling it.

As am I. I sent the following email to Tesla:

"We just took delivery of our Model S 70 in Raleigh, NC on June 6, and we generally love the car. There are a couple of tweaks needed to improve the driving experience.

1. Daytime Running Lights (DRLs). They do not come on in the daytime when the headlights are on Auto. I have to manually turn on the Parking Lights to get them to work during the day. Please provide a firmware update which provides the ability to have the DRLs on in the daytime with the headlights set to Auto."

To which I received the following response from California:

"1. We have noticed a software glitch that on the interior of the vehicle, the avatar does not indicate that the ‘signature’ lights (LED along top of the headlight) are actually on. This will be addressed in a future firmware update."

To which I replied:

"1. The problem is not with the avatar. The problem is that the Daylight Running Lights (DRLs) simply do not come on with the headlights set to Auto, which is the setting I and most drivers use. To use the DRLs during the day, I have to change the light setting to Parking. I confirmed this when I picked up the car and drove it home. My wife was driving the car we drove to the Tesla Showroom, and she confirmed that the DRLs were off when the lights were set to Auto, and on when set to Parking. The firmware needs to be modified to provide for a separate “Daylight Running Lights On” setting, which I understand was present on previous firmware versions."

Is Tesla unaware of the problem?

Reactions: Bonlaw

"We just took delivery of our Model S 70 in Raleigh, NC on June 6, and we generally love the car. There are a couple of tweaks needed to improve the driving experience.

1. Daytime Running Lights (DRLs). They do not come on in the daytime when the headlights are on Auto. I have to manually turn on the Parking Lights to get them to work during the day. Please provide a firmware update which provides the ability to have the DRLs on in the daytime with the headlights set to Auto."

"1. We have noticed a software glitch that on the interior of the vehicle, the avatar does not indicate that the ‘signature’ lights (LED along top of the headlight) are actually on. This will be addressed in a future firmware update."

To which I replied:

"1. The problem is not with the avatar. The problem is that the Daylight Running Lights (DRLs) simply do not come on with the headlights set to Auto, which is the setting I and most drivers use. To use the DRLs during the day, I have to change the light setting to Parking. I confirmed this when I picked up the car and drove it home. My wife was driving the car we drove to the Tesla Showroom, and she confirmed that the DRLs were off when the lights were set to Auto, and on when set to Parking. The firmware needs to be modified to provide for a separate “Daylight Running Lights On” setting, which I understand was present on previous firmware versions."

Ask a different Tesla staff, get a different response. Surely the top dogs at Tesla HQ are aware of the issue by now as I know it's been reported multiple times, even if the troops on the ground aren't getting the message.

I'm still waiting for my service center to get back with me about upgrading the 48 amp charger to 72 amps. At first they denied it was possible. Then I sent them a screenshot of the design studio showing it can be enabled after delivery. They said they would get back with me. That was a week ago. Seems like 99% of staff are confused right now on all things refresh-related.

FYI In California its Illegal to drive with your parking lights on!!!
below is a quote from CA DMV

Lighted Parking Lamps
24800. No vehicle shall be driven at any time with the parking lamps lighted except when the lamps are being used as turn signal lamps or when the headlamps are also lighted.

• Informative
Reactions: DoubleE
FYI In California its Illegal to drive with your parking lights on!!!
below is a quote from CA DMV

Lighted Parking Lamps
24800. No vehicle shall be driven at any time with the parking lamps lighted except when the lamps are being used as turn signal lamps or when the headlamps are also lighted.

DRL is safety feature and you get even discount from insurance for having it...
This means half of the vehicle driven are illegal?

What is "Parking lamps" Vs. DRL?

I will point this out to them tomorrow when I pickup the car but MDMGSO47 and anyone else with a refreshed car should send that info to tesla that its illegal to drive with parking lights on which is currently the only way to enable the daytime running lights!!

FWIW, I took delivery of my S70D today and it is running 2.22.50. AFAICT with the setting on Auto, the DRLs are very dimly lit, but not as bright as parking light or off. Not sure if this is the bug, but I wouldn't describe it as off. Just inappropriately dimmed.

To which I replied:

To update my last post, I received a response from Tesla Fremont to my last email:

"Thank you for reporting this. This will be addressed in an upcoming firmware release."

The response is a bit cryptic, but it appears Tesla acknowledges the problem and will fix it with a software update at some point.

To update my last post, I received a response from Tesla Fremont to my last email:

"Thank you for reporting this. This will be addressed in an upcoming firmware release."

The response is a bit cryptic, but it appears Tesla acknowledges the problem and will fix it with a software update at some point.

Most positive answer yet!
Thanks for following up.

Why are you guys running the car with range mode on regularly? You only need it when you're getting low on energy was my understanding. It disables features such as the hvac fan is lower, the interior lights aren't as bright, etc. Also the front motor whines more with range mode on. Am I missing something? I drove my last S 50000 miles and used range maybe 5 times.

Why are you guys running the car with range mode on regularly? You only need it when you're getting low on energy was my understanding. It disables features such as the hvac fan is lower, the interior lights aren't as bright, etc. Also the front motor whines more with range mode on. Am I missing something? I drove my last S 50000 miles and used range maybe 5 times.

I don't regularly drive in range mode, but perhaps they fixed all the issues you mention (except for the HVAC, for obvious reasons).

I don't notice any whine, interior dimming, etc.

Even if the HVAC fan is lower while in Range Mode, the refreshed Model S seems to work pretty strong regardless.