Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daylight running light for Refreshed MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was my immediate reaction, but now I wonder if instead the SW reboot after the update just triggered a recalibration of the Rated Miles calculation. It's now actually a more accurate reflection of what I should get based on my recent Wh/mi.

I like your recalibration theory. The DRLs began operating after the update and I noticed the change to rated range. However, a day later the DRLs went off again and have not returned. The rated range remained the same.

Wanted to chime in on this one. After a month of having no DRLs on my refreshed 70D, I got 2.24.102 last night, which fixed the issue. I don't know if anyone else has tried to hypothesize Tesla's methodology on software updates, but after following this thread, along with my own personal experience, I believe it to be:
- No more than one software update per month per vehicle. This is to keep from giving the perception of always pushing out incremental updates.
- If the vehicle has a software update available, and it's been over a month since the last update, then push the update on a weekend, just in case it borks something.

Of course, this is my own personal anecdote, but maybe the TMC hive mind can put something together.

Wanted to chime in on this one. After a month of having no DRLs on my refreshed 70D, I got 2.24.102 last night, which fixed the issue. I don't know if anyone else has tried to hypothesize Tesla's methodology on software updates, but after following this thread, along with my own personal experience, I believe it to be:
- No more than one software update per month per vehicle. This is to keep from giving the perception of always pushing out incremental updates.
- If the vehicle has a software update available, and it's been over a month since the last update, then push the update on a weekend, just in case it borks something

I've had my car for two weeks. Got my first update the next after visiting a super charger (2.20.60 -> 2.22.86). Got my second update yesterday morning (2.22.86->2.24.102) but never was near either super charger or service center.

This morning I turned on my car and had an update notice. I installed it over lunch. It looks like my DRL are now fixed - I glanced my reflection in a store window as I was driving. I think it's the 2.24.102 version (I'm too lazy to double check but I'm confidant the build number is over 100).

My car was connected to home WiFi and it's the first update since I picked up the car a month ago.

In regards to the daytime running lights (or "signature lights") on the refreshed model S, I just visited the Seattle service center on 7-2-16 (a day after receiving the 2.24.102 update) and now they work when the lights are set to auto. However, and we confirmed this, they do *not work* with range mode activated. When you click the "i" next to range mode, nothing is mentioned about activating or deactivating the DLR as a consequence of using or not using range mode. As Bjorn pointed out in one of his more recent videos, range mode has very nominal effectiveness in the refreshed model S (about 2% increased effectiveness), so maybe keeping the DLR off when range mode is activated is a way of making range mode a bit more useful. I still find it kind of weird.

• Informative
Reactions: Julesp313
...now they work when the lights are set to auto. However, and we confirmed this, they do *not work* with range mode activated. When you click the "i" next to range mode, nothing is mentioned about activating or deactivating the DLR as a consequence of using or not using range mode.

Guessing this explains it so I shall test it tonight - I got the update to 2.24.102 this weekend and the DRLs are not working - and I *do* have range mode on. I shall try turning that off on my commute home and see if that solves this slightly crazy situation!

I looked at my car window sticker, and it says that my car has Daytime Running Lights. I am calling Tesla to complain that they delivered my car to someone else, because the one they delivered to me doesn't. :mad:

An update on my previous post.

I sent an email to Tesla Service Fremont stating that 1) my car was advertised to have DRLs, 2) it didn't, 3) I complained about it a month ago and 4) I had heard nothing further from Tesla. I then asked that they either promptly fix the DRLs on my car, or replace it with a new Model S with DRLs that worked. That apparently got their attention. I received a call from Tesla Service the next day offering to send an assistant service manager to my house (which is 80 miles away from the Raleigh Service Center) to attempt to fix the problem. We were in the mountains with the car, so I had to decline.

I was then told that they were pushing out the latest firmware update to my car (we have owned the car for more than a month with no updates). Overnight, the firmware update arrived, which we then installed. Upon completion,we discovered it was 2.24.102. We now have DRLs when the lights are on auto and not in Range Mode. Interestingly, the release notes refer only to changes to Summons, and do not mention the DRLs.

I guess the old saying about the squeaky wheel is still true. :D

Guessing this explains it so I shall test it tonight - I got the update to 2.24.102 this weekend and the DRLs are not working - and I *do* have range mode on. I shall try turning that off on my commute home and see if that solves this slightly crazy situation!

BTW, there are a number of threads and videos that contend Range Mode is counterproductive and should never be used.

OK, finally got the confirmation from the husband that 2.24.102 did "fix" the DRL/signature lights issue - and yes, definitely only works with Range Mode off... but hey, I have lights! And by husband confirmation, I mean I made him stand in front of the car and tell me if the lights were on - he's not allowed to drive my car until he unlearns left foot braking...

And how cool that my car is now different and it happened with an overnight, unobtrusive update. Love that.

Reactions: MrLunch