TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Daylight Saving Time

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by doug, Jul 4, 2014.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#1 doug, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014
    (mod note: posts moved here from the SpaceX F9v1.1 Launch: Orbcomm OG2 thread)

Also easy to confuse daylight savings time. I assume you meant EDT and PDT.

2. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

I wish they would just get rid of that outdated system of DST. In modern times it's silly and annoying, for me at least.

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Tip: use the abbreviated ET and PT to mean "whatever the current one is for that location". :)

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Given that DST was recently expanded to save energy (as in "Only the government would think that cutting the top off a blanket and sewing it back on the bottom would make the blanket longer"), maybe the couple of months of "standard time" should just be DST too.

5. physicsfita

physicsfita Member

Trust me, in northern states, that can be really bad. That was done during the oil embargo when I was a kid in Michigan. It was so dark out waiting for the school bus that the McDonald's stores were giving away reflective vests to try to prevent drivers accidentally hitting kids. (If it was foggy out, the kids at my stop would stand on opposite sides of the street pretending they were having a tug-of-war -- they could get almost every car to some to a stop looking for the rope.)

And on that note, let's go back to launching rockets... :smile:

6. rabar10

rabar10 FFE until Model 3

Also see this TMC thread where research in 2009 showed that with the recent economy and energy use of HVAC systems as opposed to lights, daylight saving time now wastes more energy than it saves.

Here's the general Wikipedia link on what it is, which countries use it, etc.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Those kids were awesome.

8. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Move someplace that doesn't observe DST... I grew up without it, lived in states / countries with it off an on, now back in a place where we don't feel the need to play silly mind tricks with our clocks twice a year...

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Easy not to observe it when you don't have massive swings in length of day. If they scrapped it here it'd be to have a permanent move to Atlantic Standard Time, but the disadvantage of that would be that it'd be even fecking colder when we left for work on winter mornings.

10. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Notice I said "move someplace"; I didn't say "change your law where you live today" :wink:

We still have swings in the amount of daylight -- not as much as further north. In winter it gets dark around 5pm, summer around 8pm.

But the real reason AZ rejected DST was that its too hot in summer. The last thing we want is for the sun to stay up later at night -- so we stay on Mountain Standard Time all year (with the exception of the Navajo Nation in NE AZ...)