TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Days to cover dropped 30% in the past month!!! Just announced!!

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Iamthecaliflower, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Iamthecaliflower

2. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

3. Iamthecaliflower

Yes. However this percentage demonstrates how much short interest there is relative to daily trading volume. This is important, I think. One metric used to calculate what companies have the highest short interest is to measure what companies have the highest number of days to cover. The 20% drop occurred on the 14th, after this data was sent for release. The percentage of shorts that responded to this event will not be included in this data. I would anticipate that number to be fairly high, especially after the rapid recovery.

4. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

The days to cover dropped because the average daily volume spiked with the Friday the 13th debacle. In the first column you'll see that the short interest went up NOT down.

5. raymond

raymond Member

I see business as usual: since mid Oct '11 a high-10s/high-20s pattern changing every two weeks. So the real question here is: how can you benefit from the expected (by me) rise to 25-30 days at the end of January?

6. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

You mean "buying opportunity," right? :smile:

7. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Here's a good explanation of "Short Interest".

As you can see, the days to cover number dropped only because there was such a large volume of shares taking place. It will be more interesting to see what the short interest is at the end of the month.

Unless the stock makes a very rapid ascent up to $40, I don't think there is a possibility of a short squeeze. TSLA is just too freely traded for that. There always seems to be plenty of shares available.

8. Uncle Ron

Uncle Ron Member

#8 Uncle Ron, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
    EDIT,,

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Not that I know of. If you think about it wouldn't make sense to allow shorts to be public...that would open up huge opportunities for market manipulation.

10. Uncle Ron

Uncle Ron Member

#10 Uncle Ron, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
    EDIT,,