Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) can't be turned off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can manually turn off the lights but for just a short period of time that seems annoying.

On U.S. spec vehicles you can turn off the DRLs just with the control screen button. If your time waiting is that short then the power used leaving the car on is going to be minuscule.

- - - Updated - - -

Get out of the car, then sit back down. The car turns off when your but leaves the seat.

That's a lot of effort to avoid just turning off the lights via the touchscreen. :wink:

Get out of the car, then sit back down. The car turns off when your but leaves the seat.

I don't even bother getting out of the car. Just open the door, take weight off of the seat for 2 seconds (until everything shuts off) and shut door, sit back down. Car is now off but you have a/c and all accessories running. Wish I had known that trick sooner. I used to switch the headlights and DRL's off rather than wait for them to time out and would always forget to turn the DRL's back on later.

Hi Invisik,

I run into the same thing, especially at night. My solution has been to turn the car off via the E-brake screen as you mention, then just touch the screen a second later and all the interior stuff turns back on with the car now off.

Peter

Hi!

I frequently have to wait for a few minutes in parking lot while waiting to meet someone or until a store is open, etc. Now I just throw the car in Park and sit there and listen to the radio, HVAC on, etc. However, the automatic headlights/DRL do not turn off until what seems like 10-15 minutes later. Is there any way to turn off the car, so the screen reads "Car Off", while I'm waiting? Just don't want the attention of the lights on.

I've tried doing vehicle power off in E-brake screen, but that turns everything fully off. I tried pressing the Park button on the gear selector a few times and holding it, but no change there. I can manually turn off the lights but for just a short period of time that seems annoying. I tried searching as well, but got some server error.

Thanks for any thoughts.

-m

Post Japanese delivery report. Japanese cars didn't have DRL button in the center console, but it can be turned off by switching the lights off. In Japan DRLs are not enforced.

If they are not enforced by law, it would be worth asking Tesla for the configurable option to enable/disable.

The Hong Kong cars initially had DRL forced on. Then, with the 6.x update we got the ability to turn them off from the 17" settings. The law here doesn't enforce them (for cars).

Hi, Mark, in what occasion do you want to turn off DRL? In my opinion DRLs contribute some to safety?

Lake Lanier, GA has a great Christmas light drive. You turn off your headlights. On a Suburban you press the parking brake one click. The brake isn't applied but the DRL's go off. That means you get to enjoy the Christmas lights. I hate it when someone behind me is blinding me because their lights are on and reflecting in my mirrors.

Interesting, here in Japan young guys think turning fog lights on with headlights off is cool thing to do. Very funny.

But with above reasons (in the mechanical parking with mirrors installed), I turn off headlights (and DRLs at the same time) very frequently, so sometimes I'm annoyed by slow reactions of headlights. Hit break pedal, press control, press off every time I park.