TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Daytime Running Lights Mod

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by JohnnyLounge21, Aug 27, 2013.

1. JohnnyLounge21

Every car I've owned, I turn on the parking lights during the day b/c I think it looks nice on the vehicle.

As the years have gone by, I began to see cars doing this automatically - at least with their front lights (the first I noticed was the Corvette maybe 10 years ago - front 2 orange lights on at all times). Today, Audi and Model S come to mind with some awesome daytime LEDs running. I know Canadian Roadsters have daytime running lights as a mod due to local requirements - but I have no interest in my headlights running during the day (not even sure what the Canadians have running on their Roadsters as daytime running lights - this was just a comment).

What I want are the nice perimeter orange lamps illuminated and the inner circular front facing lamps illuminated that turn on now when I call the parking lights (rear lights need not be lit). I want these to be on all the time as long as the Roadster is running.

Any idea on how to set this up within my VMS on my own? Do you think I could request that Telsa Service set this up at my next visit?

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

FYI, Canadian Roadsters turn on their headlight low beams for daytime running lights.

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

In California it is illegal to drive with your parking lights on, though I do not know of anyone ticketed for this offense.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

In Canada, at least, there are several implementation methods:

1. Dedicated DRL lamp
    2. High beams at reduced power
    3. Low Beams at slightly reduced power
    4. Full low beam lighting system (incl. side marker, parking and tail lamps)
    5. Front Park/Turn Signal lamps on steady at the bright (turn signal) level

I'm not sure if this is a regulatory requirement, but many late model cars will, when a turn signal is activated, turn off the DRL on that side of the car. This is especially true when the DRL and Turn Signal lamp are near each other. I assume this is to prevent the turn signal from being "masked" by the DRL and to make it more visible. Earlier implementations (mid-90's) did not do this.

5. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

If you drive without either DRLs or low beams ON AT ALL TIMES then likely this ingrown attitude will eventually cause grief for people and property. Needlessly.
    Cost is minimal, almost immeasurable, contrary to popular opinion.
    --

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I agree, but it is not without controversy. Prior to making it law in Canada, motorcycles were always required to ride with their headlights on. Motorcycle groups cried foul claiming that they would no longer "stand out" in a sea of cars all with their headlights/DRLs on. Others claimed that the reduced voltage high beam implementation still caused "glare" and there was even some backlash from funeral parlors since funeral processions were known to drive with their lights on. Everyone got over it, and I really think it is a valuable safety feature.

7. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

I saw some nice ones when I was in LA back in January. They were exactly like this. It did not after the street glow effect.

brabus-tesla-roadster-2009-frront-close-main_w800.jpg

8. bart513

bart513 Member

That is cool. Given my age I could do with just the front lights:) I'm not P Didi.....or whatever the name is now

9. JohnnyLounge21

jbadger - I love this mod you have here on the daytime LEDs (the street glow would not be wanted). Looks like perhaps going completely aftermarket may be the best move. . . Still hoping someone can chime in with how to have the existing front lights on all the time as opposed to having to call them up using the parking lights.

Your mod above may look different on a 2.5, however. So I'll keep that in mind if it's the workaround needed.

10. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

I've got the 2.5 front fascia on my 2.0. I also wonder what the best way to do it would be.

What if we made the entire front grill glow ;) It would definitely be seen at night!

11. Nvbob

Nvbob Roadster 1256

Nightrider anyone?

12. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

Ironically it is illegal in almost every state to drive with just your parking lights on at ANY time. Im not sure a single person has ever been ticketed for this, but it is in the regs.

Here's a reference for CA but it's this way in most states. What Corvette actually had on was the turn signals on steady in the front to act as a driving light that would then flash when turn signal was activated.

Because it's illegal, I doubt a SC would do it.

http://www.motorists.org/chapters/california

13. NomoC8

NomoC8 Member

Maybe I'm over simplifying things, but couldn't you just leave the lights on all the time. When the ignition is on, so are the lights and vice versa.

14. JohnnyLounge21

That may be a solution. . . Just leave the parking lights on at all times. I don't think they stay on with the key out of the ignition.

But I'm hoping for just the front lights and perimeter lights running daytime (rear dimmed lights are not necessary).

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

That is a very common DRL implementation method. It's important to note (as you mention) that it's the bright filament that illuminates steadily, so technically it's not the Parking Light that is on. This should get around any "no driving with Parking Lights" law.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure my brother's Grand Prix works this way... and he lives in California.

16. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

I didn't realize #5 was a valid one... I always thought the chrysler minvans running around that had no headlights on were US vehicles that were imported without the correct DRL modifications...

17. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I had two Gen III Dodge Caravans (a 1997 and a 2000) that worked this way. The the Gen II plus the Gen IV and later utilize reduced voltage high beam DRLs. (The Gen I Caravans were before DRLs were required). The First Generation Cadillac CTS as well as the STS and DTS of those years also used the turn signal lamps on the bright filament. It is quite common, and any car you see with bright amber DRLs (i.e. new Dodge Challenger) are utilizing this methodology.

Those Gen III Caravans were pretty easy to mod if you brought a US-spec one in to Canada. You simply had to change the turn signal relay for one that was normally closed (on) vs. normally open (off).

18. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Member

#18 Botbldr45, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    I was interested in daytime LED's like the picture above but was told by a Tesla Tech that you would need to wire into the 12V battery on the roadster and into the ignition circuit. He said,"Bad Idea!" 12V battery too fragile and immediate warranty void. I did some research and found a place that would place LED's but using a separate 12V battery circuit that could be charged on 110 and be seprate from the roadster's electrical system. It could charge LEDS and front parking sensors (Lotus behind the bumper ribbon sensor). There was some question about carbon fiber on the sensors though.

Any thoughts................

I tried to plug into the 12V socket under the dash since that becomes inactive a short time after ignition is turned off but just blew a fuse and gave up immediately.:scared:

19. augkuo

augkuo Member

#19 augkuo, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    I have mine powered off the main battery from the car audio supply (12V). I had a front camera already so the wire routing was done and adding some DRLs wasn't a problem.

Contact http://walnutcreekcustoms.com/

2013-08-29 13.58.03.jpg

20. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

That's probably EFXJIM with a gray Roadster. He did the mod himself.