Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daytime running lights - why uneven??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few weeks back I saw a Model 3 behind me. One day time running light was lit brightly and one was dull lit. The led stripe did not glow brightly.

Thought oh man that sucks to have headlights issues. Checked my car when I got home and it was fine.

A couple weeks after another one behind me and had same issue.

Yesterday i was behind a truck with a mirror like bumper. And I could see that my day time running lights were doing the same thing! One side dull lit and one side had full led stripe.

Turned off car and back on and it’s fine.

So what’s the deal? Who else has noticed this? Anyone know why this occurs and/or how to prevent it?

Just checking here before I email Tesla. Figure I can’t be the only one to see this or the first since I’ve seen it impact multiple cars.

A few weeks back I saw a Model 3 behind me. One day time running light was lit brightly and one was dull lit. The led stripe did not glow brightly.

Thought oh man that sucks to have headlights issues. Checked my car when I got home and it was fine.

Yesterday i was behind a truck with a mirror like bumper. And I could see that my day time running lights were doing the same thing! One side dull lit and one side had full led stripe.

So what’s the deal? Who else has noticed this? Anyone know why this occurs and/or how to prevent it?

Just checking here before I email Tesla. Figure I can’t be the only one to see this or the first since I’ve seen it impact multiple cars.

I could of sworn I saw a thread on this exact issue several weeks ago but couldn't find it using the search function. IIRC, it's a known issue, but I would reach out to your local SC.

Had this issue with my Drivers side headlamp. The LED accent light either stopped working or has been dislodged. You can really only tell if you get down to the same elevation of the strip. It's in for replacement right now and get it back tomorrow morning. vin was 289xx

Interesting. Was yours intermittently? or always off?
I don't know if it was always broken - but noticed it when I pulled up behind another car and noticed that the passenger headlight seemed brighter than the driver one. At first I thought it was just the angle I was viewing it from but when I took a close look - you could tell it was out. There were also a couple of threads on here with others who had the same problem with the Drivers headlamp. So I'm guessing it was a bad batch or something.

There's someone in my neighborhood so afflicted. I'd considered trying to hail them to let them know, but that'd have made for some awkward maneuvering having noticed the problem from my rearview mirror. So my attempt at a PSA: if any readers here happen to have or know the owner of a silver Model 3 located west of Austin near Lake Travis... you might consider having a look at your accent lights.

Found this to be a common problem also (after reading threads on various boards). Several notes that it might be that LED strip comes 'undone' and winds up pointing upward. Think that's what happened to my driver's side light. SC didn't seem to flinch when told about it. Coming out 'soon' to replace the whole headlight.

If you see the same thing.....

While looking at 2 or 3 different things......

Then the common denominator is...….?

Looks like a visit to the optometrist is in your future.

JUST KIDDING!!!!! I just couldn't let that pass.