Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

daytime running lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My non tech car from Feb 2013 has DRLs, however, I believe there was a short period of time (a month or two) sometime after that where it was not standard equipment and was a part of the tech package. It quickly became standard equipment again. Just look at the controls for the lights...if you have the DRL button, then you've got them.

Do you see a DRL option on the Controls Screen?

Model S Controls Screen.jpg

Anyone know how they got around that in Canada where DRLs are mandatory? Did they just ship all Canadian cars with the "eyebrow" DRLs or did they utilize the normal headlights on low beam (which is also acceptable here)?

All Canadian cars were shipped with the eyebrow DRL's. The button on the touchscreen is missing, but the effects are the same (eyebrows are on when car is on).

All Canadian cars were shipped with the eyebrow DRL's. The button on the touchscreen is missing, but the effects are the same (eyebrows are on when car is on).

I wondered about that because even the Canadian configurator showed DRLs with the Tech Package only during that window of time. I wondered if it meant you didn't get the "eyebrows" and the headlights just stayed on. We've never had the DRL button on Canadian cars.

maybe one day soon we can have the LED headlight optional too...given the technology is almost 10 years old how and far less draining in a battery. Heck, laser lights have been out for a couple of years now - perhaps we will jump straight to that technology!

maybe one day soon we can have the LED headlight optional too...given the technology is almost 10 years old how and far less draining in a battery. Heck, laser lights have been out for a couple of years now - perhaps we will jump straight to that technology!

For what it's worth, the marginal power difference between HID and LED isn't as considerable as the difference between HID/LED and incandescent/halogen. The battery is unlikely to be a significant reason why you'd go with LED or laser over HID. There is a reliability argument for LED over HID, and the right LED lamps can achieve a much better CRI for clearer views, but it's unlikely to be a power reason that lamps change.

My vehicle does not have the tech package and after i signed the paper work i was told that my car did not have the "eyebrow" lights. I was super bummed but it came in this yesterday and the mgr sent me a pick of it. To my surprise it does have the eyebrow lights. which i guess is called DRL. I am very happy especially when i get to drive it later this week.

My vehicle does not have the tech package and after i signed the paper work i was told that my car did not have the "eyebrow" lights. I was super bummed but it came in this yesterday and the mgr sent me a pick of it. To my surprise it does have the eyebrow lights. which i guess is called DRL. I am very happy especially when i get to drive it later this week.

The "eyebrow" lights come on more dimly as "parking lights" or when the headlights are on. The question is whether they go up to full brightness as DRLs when the headlights are off.

The problem is not technology but rather a regulatory lag in the US. This article from the NYT neatly summarizes the problem (last few paragraphs). It talks about lasers but also OLED light sources where light is laid out in sheets to form any shape the car wants. Sadly, it appears that EU and Japan will be seeing all these advances years before our regulatory bodies have the funding and time to approve them.