TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

daytime running lights

Discussion in 'Model S' started by CPD2601, Sep 19, 2015.

1. CPD2601

CPD2601 Member

My car does not have the tech package, but does it still have daytime running lights? or am i missing out on the cool then headlight look?
    Thanks

2. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

From what I remember, non tech package cars do not have the daytime running led lights

3. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

All Model S have DRLs.

4. youlikeadajuice

My non tech car from Feb 2013 has DRLs, however, I believe there was a short period of time (a month or two) sometime after that where it was not standard equipment and was a part of the tech package. It quickly became standard equipment again. Just look at the controls for the lights...if you have the DRL button, then you've got them.

5. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Not true. There was definitely a time when non-tech did not have DRLs. I even had a loaner like this once.

6. golfski

golfski Member

I do not have the tech package nor DRL's. I do however have NAV ;)

7. ibdb

ibdb 3 Car Garage and a 5 Car Life

Do you see a DRL option on the Controls Screen?

Model S Controls Screen.jpg

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Anyone know how they got around that in Canada where DRLs are mandatory? Did they just ship all Canadian cars with the "eyebrow" DRLs or did they utilize the normal headlights on low beam (which is also acceptable here)?

9. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

All Canadian cars were shipped with the eyebrow DRL's. The button on the touchscreen is missing, but the effects are the same (eyebrows are on when car is on).

10. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

DRLs weren't standard on the original MS but they changed that sometime in 2013 I think. Also xenons weren't standard either they used to be halogens. then at some point they made those standard too.

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I wondered about that because even the Canadian configurator showed DRLs with the Tech Package only during that window of time. I wondered if it meant you didn't get the "eyebrows" and the headlights just stayed on. We've never had the DRL button on Canadian cars.

12. skilly

skilly Member

maybe one day soon we can have the LED headlight optional too...given the technology is almost 10 years old how and far less draining in a battery. Heck, laser lights have been out for a couple of years now - perhaps we will jump straight to that technology!

13. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

That would be fantastic!

14. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

For what it's worth, the marginal power difference between HID and LED isn't as considerable as the difference between HID/LED and incandescent/halogen. The battery is unlikely to be a significant reason why you'd go with LED or laser over HID. There is a reliability argument for LED over HID, and the right LED lamps can achieve a much better CRI for clearer views, but it's unlikely to be a power reason that lamps change.

15. CPD2601

CPD2601 Member

My vehicle does not have the tech package and after i signed the paper work i was told that my car did not have the "eyebrow" lights. I was super bummed but it came in this yesterday and the mgr sent me a pick of it. To my surprise it does have the eyebrow lights. which i guess is called DRL. I am very happy especially when i get to drive it later this week.

16. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

The "eyebrow" lights come on more dimly as "parking lights" or when the headlights are on. The question is whether they go up to full brightness as DRLs when the headlights are off.

17. CPD2601

CPD2601 Member

18. blanche

blanche Member

The problem is not technology but rather a regulatory lag in the US. This article from the NYT neatly summarizes the problem (last few paragraphs). It talks about lasers but also OLED light sources where light is laid out in sheets to form any shape the car wants. Sadly, it appears that EU and Japan will be seeing all these advances years before our regulatory bodies have the funding and time to approve them.