TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Daytime running lights

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Science fan, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Science fan

Science fan Member

I am sure this issue has been discussed earlier; just cannot find it. How does one make it so that the the Daytime running lights are lit whenever the car is being driven?

2. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

Do you mean clicking on them on the control screen to have them on at all times?

3. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

I assume you are asking in regards to the new "facelift" cars? I believe a software revision fixed that, but has been a few weeks since I recall seeing posts about it. Before that I believe people had to turn the "auto" headlight off and make sure range mode was off as well.

4. Alex D

Alex D Member

Auto on, range mode off

5. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

Yup, if you don't have a firmware problem.When we took delivery in June, the DRLs would not work during the day without turning on the Parking Lights. There was a furor, and it was fixed (for most people) by the next firmware release, although the DRLs appear to be about half as bright in the daylight on Auto than when we were running them with the Parking Lights on.

6. Nismode

Nismode Member

That's the nature of DRL's in most cars. They run at a lower power setting.

7. Science fan

Science fan Member

I do have the new facelift and will try auto on and range off (I had been driving with range on). Thank you for the prompt replies.

8. Mattzilla

Mattzilla Member

Yeah, turning range mode off will fix the problem (even though the "i" next to range mode makes no mention of it disabling DRL).

I wonder how much range is saved with the DRL off when range mode is on. I'm assuming pretty nominal since Bjorn concluded the savings in general on the refresh S is about 2% with range mode on. Weird stuff.

9. raijin

raijin Member

It seems like the DRLs on the new facelifts are dimmer (perhaps because the lights are diffused) Can barely see them during the daytime.

10. Mattzilla

Mattzilla Member

They definitely are. Wish they were more powerful.