Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DC 50 kW charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A problem that some people say that the 50 kW DC chargers have is that the car is too long charging at high temperature. It seems that the problem is that the car is preparing for supercharging when in fact it is no such thing.

I would like to use these chargers because I have a promotion that makes charging free and they are close to my house, but I am afraid of damaging the battery.

The hidden service menu allows to disable the battery heating. You get the impression that this may be a recommended option when charging on a 50 kW charger to avoid excessive heating and also because the battery heating takes about 7 kW by itself.

Is there any danger in disabling battery heating and will it cause much battery degradation to use the 50 kW DC chargers on a regular basis?

The general rule is that as long as you are charging at a rate that is less than the battery capacity, there are no issues. For sample, with a 75 kWh battery any charge rate < 75 kW is not an issue. But I would not disable battery heating, the car knows what needs to happen to optimize charging and to keep the battery happy.

I wouldn’t mess with the settings. No offense, but Tesla’s battery engineers are smarter than you or I, and know what they’re doing. They also have ~15 years of knowledge built into that battery controller.

Charge, be happy, and don’t worry about a thing!

I’ve taken a total hands off approach to my battery. Set the charge limit to 90% and left it there. Supercharge when I need. I don’t think or worry about battery temps or whatever. Just taking on the juice I need.

And yet, my battery is right there in line with most everyone else. Started with 310 miles of range when it was new, 40,000 miles ago.

All good. I’m happy and haven’t wasted any brain cells on “managing” my charge limits. Like @one2many - I’ll save those cells for where I need them … at the bar.

Attachments

• 45724CAB-64E2-4598-9DA3-54C52F277740.jpeg
    45724CAB-64E2-4598-9DA3-54C52F277740.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Love
Reactions: outdoors and ATPMSD
A problem that some people say that the 50 kW DC chargers have is that the car is too long charging at high temperature. It seems that the problem is that the car is preparing for supercharging when in fact it is no such thing.

I would like to use these chargers because I have a promotion that makes charging free and they are close to my house, but I am afraid of damaging the battery.

The hidden service menu allows to disable the battery heating. You get the impression that this may be a recommended option when charging on a 50 kW charger to avoid excessive heating and also because the battery heating takes about 7 kW by itself.

Is there any danger in disabling battery heating and will it cause much battery degradation to use the 50 kW DC chargers on a regular basis?
Which service menu?