Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DC/Chademo charging in rural areas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm based in WA, were DC chargers are still scarce, yet EVs are becoming more common. Most DC chargers in towns only offer 50kW or less and a single CCS point. I was wondering if anyone ever toyed with the idea of using a Chademo to CCS adapter so you can still charge even if the CCS is already occupied? Worst case the charging power would be split between the 2 cars but still better then 11kW AC i guess? Cheers.

Reactions: CAM3RON
Very few chargers allow both arms to be used at the same time.

(The new Tritium series do, but it's also not turned on at many sites).

An adapter also wouldn't be cheap as signalling is different between CCS2 and CHAdeMo.

As EVs become more popular I suspect we will see stations that are dual CCS2 and allow sharing.
(But still need to support older CHAdeMO cars and grey Japanese imports)

Reactions: cafz and Chuq
It is a pity dual NRMA chargers have 2 of each. Based on number of EVs of various types, 1 Chademo to 3 CCS2 would seem a better balance than 2+2 plus the ability of both to be used at once, even if in a sharing mode (25kw each)
For the chargers which don't allow both to be used at once (the older RT50 sites), it obviously doesn't make sense to put two CCS2 on one unit.

The more recent NRMA sites use RTM75s though, which do have that ability.

Reactions: doggy1
Originally, Model S/X (which didn't have CCS2) owners had the option of buying a Chademo adaptor. Model 3 of course had native CCS2.

In the USA, they also had a Chademo adaptor (slightly different of course due to the proprietary Tesla plug) for S/X.

While the US Chademo adaptor worked for their Model 3 (and Y), there was never such an adaptor made for Australian Model 3s (or any other region where Model 3 used CCS2). Presumably because if you went "off track" from the supercharger route in the USA, you needed another option, whereas Aussie Model 3s can use public chargers natively due to using CCS2.

However the question remains - when the CCS2 retrofit (adaptor and internal upgrade) became available for Model S/X here, did the Chademo adaptor continue to work? Was the internal upgrade an "either/or" for Chademo or CCS2? Surely someone here has tried it.

(Some general Chademo adaptor info - they are expensive, bulky, and limited to 50 kW - so they certainly aren't the preferred option)

It'd be nice if CHAdeMO went away promptly. The ones at Goulburn keep getting stuck in peoples cars. Significant kinetic methods need to be used frequently to get the button to unclip. They've left fault comments against the site over that.

It just isn't suited to rugged Australian conditions!

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Originally, Model S/X (which didn't have CCS2) owners had the option of buying a Chademo adaptor. Model 3 of course had native CCS2.

In the USA, they also had a Chademo adaptor (slightly different of course due to the proprietary Tesla plug) for S/X.

While the US Chademo adaptor worked for their Model 3 (and Y), there was never such an adaptor made for Australian Model 3s (or any other region where Model 3 used CCS2). Presumably because if you went "off track" from the supercharger route in the USA, you needed another option, whereas Aussie Model 3s can use public chargers natively due to using CCS2.

However the question remains - when the CCS2 retrofit (adaptor and internal upgrade) became available for Model S/X here, did the Chademo adaptor continue to work? Was the internal upgrade an "either/or" for Chademo or CCS2? Surely someone here has tried it.

(Some general Chademo adaptor info - they are expensive, bulky, and limited to 50 kW - so they certainly aren't the preferred option)

CHAeMO still works on my 2015 mS, I used it recently at a Tritium 50kw when the CCS2 cable had an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq and moa999
Thanks for the feedback! I wasn't aware that you can't use both arms at the same time. Makes sense though, after thinking about it, since they would need seperate inverters.. Most dc chargers in europe also offer >22kw ac charging at the same time, even if its just a type 2 socket on the side, which sadly does not seem to be the case with the Tritium chargers here.