Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DC Charging a rebuild title Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm interested...what is the next step?
If I'm counting right, that should be three of us. I would think the next step would be to find a lawyer experienced in cases such as this and truly evaluating the case to determine if it really is legally viable. Big money starts here.

Since I'm starting to see some interest, I'll look into this a bit further. It'll be slow since I have a couple of health items to take care of.

In the meantime, let's hope that Tesla relents as news seems to suggest they will for the Model 3..............

Reactions: Mvg1984
I fail to see any moral or ethical considerations at play here for a corporation.

As for reputation, they have clearly decided allowing wrecked cars to use their charging network has no material impact on their reputation. I’d argue even ONE news story about a salvaged car catching fire or otherwise conspicuously malfunctioning while supercharging would have a FAR greater reputational impact than telling every salvaged car owner to “go charge somewhere else.”

I understand you don’t like that as it’s counter to your personal interests, but I find the argument as to why Tesla should reconsider lacking.
Go charge somewhere else would be fine with me! Turn it off at the Supercharger but enable my car to DC charge!

Reactions: OliverM3
1) Where are all these mythical Bolts using Tesla Superchargers?

2) A Chevrolet catching fire has no material reputational impact on Tesla.
You kinda made my case in your earlier post when you said that Tesla has been clear that allowing (previously- my entry) wrecked cars to use their chargers has no material impact on their reputation. I totally agree with that. Then why are they locking road-worthy titled cars out? Don't those cars get people out of ICE cars? (Elon's mission if I remember it right)

And what about cars that have a salvage title because they were damaged in a hailstorm, or similar things?

Makes me question their motives and what they hope to accomplish with this policy (Re: D. C. charging)

Also, my car has demonstrated its ability to harmlessly supercharge in my ownership for well over a year.

If I'm counting right, that should be three of us. I would think the next step would be to find a lawyer experienced in cases such as this and truly evaluating the case to determine if it really is legally viable. Big money starts here.

Since I'm starting to see some interest, I'll look into this a bit further. It'll be slow since I have a couple of health items to take care of.

In the meantime, let's hope that Tesla relents as news seems to suggest they will for the Model 3..............
What news about the model 3?

Yeah this is all some BS you should have access to chargers or they should provide a certification path. If you can't dc fast charge you may as well just scrap any Tesla and not allow resale. Who hasn't rebuilt an old car what if they banned you from gas stations and you had to go grab gas cans to fill your car and could never travel. That's not right. Drive in Florida 90% of cars are ready to burst in to flames with no state inspection :)
I think it's kind of F-ed up that someone couldnt referb a Tesla. At least go set some EA chargers on fire that should be OK with a CCS adapter.

1) Where are all these mythical Bolts using Tesla Superchargers?

2) A Chevrolet catching fire has no material reputational impact on Tesla.
Supposedly it's not just about reputation it's about safety and burning the superchargers and anything near them. Regarding mythical Chevy bolts I don't know what the usage rate is but I know that Tesla opened it up to them in spite of their reputation for catching fire. What is mythical is that my 2018 model 3 is no longer a safety or a reputational threat given that I have been safely using superchargers frequently over the last 3 years before they finally Banned Me.

It's done in the car by modifying it's software, not in the charger although Tesla has the ability to do it at the Supercharger also. My understanding is that the superchargers will be sending the mods to the car to shut them off if somebody has restored them.

I was willing to accept Chademo or CCS only. They are getting more plentiful as time goes on.......
I understand you cannot use CCS unless the Tesla has been modified and changed in the software.

So, "for life" means as long as one is able to keep it on life support, right? I can understand Tesla's point of view. They have a huge investment in their charging infrastructure, and don't want just anyone driving up and plugging in any brand or type of car.

But you knew all this before you rebuilt your car, right? Of course. And you were prepared to charge at the NON-Tesla chargers at a slower speed. Since most of us charge at home in our garage, we have a hard time understanding why you need supercharging speeds anyway, and
unless you're on a trip, which is generally a rare occurrence, you won't need to supercharge anyway.

Maybe I missed it but can you or can you not DC fast charge? I have a salvage branded Tesla 3 and it DC fast charges just fine with a chademo adapter I bought from tesla on my model 3 account for my model 3. I also bought the Setec CCS adapter and it works. The Setec emulates a chademo. Both are limited to 50kw power levels by the car. A while back I received an email that SC and DCFC would be cut off due to my branded title and so far only SC is cut off. I don't think they can successfully cut DCFC without a flood of lawsuits that I think would prevail. To me that's a simple debate.
Bought a salvage title Tesla not knowing about the SC issue. It currently will still SC but I know its just a matter of time...

Are you still able to DCFC with the CHADeMO? I could live with the Tesla if I could still DCFC but would sell it if that was not even an option.

Bought a salvage title Tesla not knowing about the SC issue. It currently will still SC but I know its just a matter of time...

Are you still able to DCFC with the CHADeMO? I could live with the Tesla if I could still DCFC but would sell it if that was not even an option.
Are you getting updates currently? It may be as easy as not connecting to the internet at home...therefore not more updates for tesla to change the coding.

Are you getting updates currently? It may be as easy as not connecting to the internet at home...therefore not more updates for tesla to change the coding.
I actually haven't taken possession of the Tesla yet so I'm not sure when the last update was done. Just purchased it last week and it's on a truck from South Carolina now. Expecting it to arrive next weekend.

I've wondered if keeping it 'disconnected' from the internet would be enough to keep the powers that be from shutting off SC and even worse, all DCFC. I just don't know enough about Teslas to understand how the updates are done. For all I know, Tesla is always connected to the car and could make software updates at anytime if they chose to. 🤷‍♂️

Yes, likely it’s a matter time. Hopefully you’ll get lucky and they’ll miss you. I can dcfc with chademo or with the Tesla ccs1 adapter, the latter at over 100kw. The ccs1 requires your car is hardware enabled. It’ll show in your software menu

Reactions: shad9876
Here's my ask, with SC disabled and DC fast charging disabled, what is the fastest or Peak that I can charge on other charging Networks. I have a 2014 P85+ with two 40 amp DC to DC inverters. At home with my level 2 I can charge at 80A/18kw.

The maximum you could charge is the same as at home: AC 80A/19.2kW. But there are very few 80A level 2 charging sites out there. (And even then most of them are likely 207v instead of 240v, so they would be limited to 16.5kW.)

Last edited:
I own a Tesla Model S85 that has a history of salvage title-rebuild. For the first year of ownership it had supercharging capability, then....... just like the rest of you out there it suddenly quit working. The instrument cluster didn't even say that Supercharging was disabled, just that there was a problem with it. Then I found out about the Tesla policy regarding cars like this.

Although I pretty much knew what the results would be, I have carried out the following initial steps in an attempt to get supercharging enabled:
-Had the car High Voltage Safety inspected by Tesla to determine that it's HV system is not dangerous.
-Wrote an appeal for exemption to Tesla. The result: Ran headlong into "Mrs. Roboto", who Emailed me what looks like a standard letter sent to everyone with this request To Tesla's credit, at least they answered. It termed my request an "Escalation"(?) and was written to "Ryan" (That's not me. There must be a lot of others who have made a similar request) To make it short, the answer was "No".

I am looking into legal possibilities and have a few ideas. Are you interested? I can use the following information:
-Have you attempted any legal action? What was it and how far did you get?
-Have you heard of any incidents where a salvage history Tesla did harm to a Supercharger or caught fire while Supercharging?
-Have you heard of any incidents where a non-salvage titled Tesla damaged a Supercharger or caught fire while Supercharging?
-Would you be interested in a Class Action should that be a viable option?

Thanks for any info you may have. I am speaking with an attorney. "News at 11" and may the force..........Awww, you know the rest.

Electriccarnut

I keep stating this in other posts and I state it again because it perplexes me. If Tesla remotely switched off DCFC (not talking about SC) to an owners car I don't understand how that doesn't motivate the owner to either sue Tesla, contact the Electrek author, contact local news, contact BAR, contact NHTSA, or anyone else that could be relevant, to rant the issue. It would infuriate me if my DCFC got removed from my car just like if Tesla stole a wheel, stole my ability to go over some speed, stole or changed anything on the car I own that they have no legal entitlement to. I just don't get it.

They can say anything they want in their terms and conditions but that doesn't make it legally binding. The DCFC removal is just a simple theft issue to me

Reactions: OliverM3