Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dc combo for USA port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I am the owner of Tesla Model X in Korea. Finally, we succeded in developing a dc combo adapter. The maximum speed is about 80~120kw, and since it is still in the sample stage, the speed was about 61kw.
If you have any question please comment

Attachments

• 1596868006730.jpg
    1596868006730.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 984
  • 1596868005153.jpg
    1596868005153.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 502
Yes.

I have all the questions:

What is a combo adapter?
What is the problem that you are solving?
Why not use Chademo or CCS adapters?
Are you going to sell or license this adapter?
What standard does Korea use?
What are you using to supply the DC power?

Dc combo ia ccs adapter for usa port
Now tesla they have ccs combo only for eu
Korea tesla port is same usa
Korea people want to make ccs because of korea goverment standard is dc combo(ccs)
Thats why we development charger for ccs

I have all the questions:

What is a combo adapter?
What is the problem that you are solving?
Why not use Chademo or CCS adapters?
It is to enable a Tesla with Tesla's North American inlet to use Combo1 flavor of CCS (aka SAE Combo). It sounds like Teslas sold in South Korea also use the North American inlet.

See EV DC Fast Charging standards – CHAdeMO, CCS, SAE Combo, Tesla Supercharger, etc for a visual aid of Combo1 (in North America) vs. Combo2 in Europe.

For #2: No US/Canadian Teslas can use SAE Combo chargers, yet.
For #3: There's no such adapter for US Teslas, yet, so you hit prob 2.
As for CHAdeMO Adapter, well, some providers like VW America owned Electrify America: U.S. EV public charging network | Electrify America are typically installing 3 to 7+ SAE Combo plugs and 1 CHAdeMO at each location. You are SOL if you go to a site to CHAdeMO is broken and you can't use SAE Combo. EA is stacking the deck in favor of their own vehicles (e.g. VW, Audi, Porsche). It seems their decisions have caused other automakers to follow suit and come out with SAE Combo cars and/or switch from CHAdeMO to CCS.

Nissan recently announced Ariya will be CCS for outside Japan, which kinda puts the nail in the coffin for CHAdeMO in the US. I expect to see a steady decline in CHAdeMO in the US...

Last edited:
Hi I am the owner of Tesla Model X in Korea. Finally, we succeded in developing a dc combo adapter. The maximum speed is about 80~120kw, and since it is still in the sample stage, the speed was about 61kw.
If you have any question please comment

Excellent, thank you for sharing. Do you intend to commercialize this product and make it available in North America? If so, what is your time frame for availability and what is your targeted price point?

Is it a passive adapter or do you have electronics inside doing conversions?
I would assume the power delivery is just a passive adapter, but there are electronics converting to/from TeslaSpeak and CCS-Speak. (Not actual language names)

It is believed that the charge port module in the model 3 is capable of talking CCS, but Tesla has not released that functionality yet. When Tesla does, they will sell an adapter. Given the J1772 adapter is $95, I would expect a Tesla produced CCS-1 adapter to sell for $195.

I bet this adapter is anywhere from $295 to $650. Can't wait to find out.

I would assume the power delivery is just a passive adapter, but there are electronics converting to/from TeslaSpeak and CCS-Speak. (Not actual language names)

It is believed that the charge port module in the model 3 is capable of talking CCS, but Tesla has not released that functionality yet. When Tesla does, they will sell an adapter. Given the J1772 adapter is $95, I would expect a Tesla produced CCS-1 adapter to sell for $195.

I bet this adapter is anywhere from $295 to $650. Can't wait to find out.
Tesla's CHAdeMO Adapter is $495; why do you think the CCS-1 adaptor would be less than half that price?

I'm not challenging you; I am curious.

Dc combo ia ccs adapter for usa port
Now tesla they have ccs combo only for eu
Korea tesla port is same usa
Korea people want to make ccs because of korea goverment standard is dc combo(ccs)
Thats why we development charger for ccs

If it is CCS port then this is good. You will have a market in the U.S. as well, and the Tesla adapters are way too expensive. If you can make it for $100-200 then you will sell a lot of units.

Cheerio, CHAdeMO: Nissan adopts CCS fast-charging with new Ariya electric SUV

Looks like CCS is going to be built out in the U.S. with Nissan (the creator of CHAdeMO) putting CCS in its cars.

You might also find it useful to make:
1. Tesla -> CHAdeMO adapter
2. CCS -> CHAdeMO adapter
3. CHAdeMO -> CSS adapter

Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter is too expensive to buy when you don't really need it. Also, even if CCS wins in U.S., you still will have a lot of CHAdeMO stations already built. So useful to build CHAdeMO -> CCS.