Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dc combo for USA port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im not sure if this is just plug and play like the Chademo adapter or does it require mods to the car.
The CCS2 adapter in Europe seems to need changes to the car. From the CCS2 adapter manual:
Specifications

Use only to connect the charge cable on a CCS Combo 2 charging station to a Tesla Model S or Model X vehicle that is capable of Combo 2 DC charging.

Note: Vehicles built before May 1, 2019 are not equipped with CCS charging capability. To install this capability, please contact Tesla service.
Given the difference in signalling protocols between Tesla/Chademo and CCS, this doesn't seem surprising to me.

Reactions: cwerdna
Please be at least 100kW..........please be at least 100kW..........
150kw would be amazing, that's pretty much the limit of the SR+ anyway. It'd be as good as supercharging.

Not if it makes it ridiculously expensive. I'd be far more interested in a 35kW adapter for $200, than a 200kW $750 adapter.

Interesting, I would pay more for higher speeds, but I have a salvage and can't use supercharging. I rely on 3rd party fast charging for travel.

Reactions: kayak1
So i was thinking about this. companies like EVgo and electrify america have to want this to be a thing right? I get that other CCS cars likel don't want tesla filling up their chargers but the companies have to want the business so they can get over the chicken and the egg hump right?

So i was thinking about this. companies like EVgo and electrify america have to want this to be a thing right? I get that other CCS cars likel don't want tesla filling up their chargers but the companies have to want the business so they can get over the chicken and the egg hump right?
Yeah, I think for EA and EVGo or state or local agencies looking to install chargers, Tesla switching to the common standard (even just to the extent of putting out an adaptor) is great. I'd love to have to compete against Teslas for charging spots, because it increases the odds of the people running them building more. Agencies or companies wouldn't have to pick which type of charger to install, just decide to install a charger, period.

Two separate networks becoming one interoperable grid twice the size is better for everyone in Level 2, too. At my local supermarket, we used to have a pair of J1772 chargers in the lot. A year or two back, they pulled one out and used the conduit to install a Tesla Level 2 charger. Before, if you pulled in and there was another car there, you could count on still getting an open plug, so getting to see another car using it felt good. Now, if there's another car there, it's likely that station is already full and I basically never count on getting a charge there. Telsa switching to CCS (and thus also to being able to support J1772 for Level 2 charging) would be great for the standards problem across the board, not just DCFC but also for slow/destination charging.

A CCS adapter wouldn't just serve to replace the DCFC Chademo adaptor, it'd probably also be able to replace the existing Level 2 J1772 adapter. Two parts and things to lose become one part. Having the port on the car, the way it is in Europe, would be even better than that, but it's still an improvement for EV as a whole when a Tesla CCS adapter finally becomes available in the US.

A CCS adapter wouldn't just serve to replace the DCFC Chademo adaptor, it'd probably also be able to replace the existing Level 2 J1772 adapter. Two parts and things to lose become one part.

Probably not. The CCS adapter would route the extra two DC pins on the bottom to the charge port, and the upper AC pins wouldn't be wired to anywhere. You would still need the J1772 adapter for AC charging.

Probably not. The CCS adapter would route the extra two DC pins on the bottom to the charge port, and the upper AC pins wouldn't be wired to anywhere. You would still need the J1772 adapter for AC charging.
You definitely could build a CCS adapter with live AC pins which can also do J1772, but you're right they could also choose not to bother. However, making those pins live and the signaling to have it work for both is a little more money per unit. I just think it'd be silly to skimp on maybe $10-15 in additional cost that let a single adapter do a job which otherwise two adapters are needed for.

You definitely could build a CCS adapter with live AC pins which can also do J1772, but you're right they could also choose not to bother. However, making those pins live and the signaling to have it work for both is a little more money per unit. I just think it'd be silly to skimp on maybe $10-15 in additional cost that let a single adapter do a job which otherwise two adapters are needed for.

I think it would be more involved than that. You would have to have multiple contactors in the adapter to route the charge port pins to either the AC or DC pins in the adapter. That would be either two or four rather large contactors that would need power from somewhere to operate. So the adapter would be much bigger, more complicated, and more costly. I would say there is a 0.001% chance that Tesla would do this. (And given the picture of the adapter that has been shared I would say that there is a 0% chance that that adapter can be used for AC charging.)

I think it would be more involved than that. You would have to have multiple contactors in the adapter to route the charge port pins to either the AC or DC pins in the adapter. That would be either two or four rather large contactors that would need power from somewhere to operate. So the adapter would be much bigger, more complicated, and more costly. I would say there is a 0.001% chance that Tesla would do this. (And given the picture of the adapter that has been shared I would say that there is a 0% chance that that adapter can be used for AC charging.)
Huh, so Tesla uses the same pins for AC and DC on the car side, with some switching on the car side the adapter would have to match? I hadn't realized that. If so, it does could like it'd be more complex than the adapter they've shown (though probably something you could do with something more like the Setec version).