Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dc combo for USA port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was $660 shipped, all in. UPS Worldwide Express Saver.

Sadly, I have some bad news to report. I couldn’t get it to work, at least with Electrify America that I tried. Got this error below. They seem pretty responsive so far - promised a refund if they couldn’t get it to work. I was given a software/firmware update package but I can’t get it to show up when connected to my computer, so I’m not able to do that at the moment. That’s where I’m at now.

View attachment 623364

Thanks for the info. And sorry it isn't working. I saw the other post where someone was successful without any problems. Hopefully it is a software / firmware update.

Good luck and Happy New Year.

Glad to see this appears to be successful for the most part and the manufacturer responsive. Went to go consider purchase and notice that the price had gone up from the early-adopter price. I thought that was suppose to happen in Mid January? Oh well. At the current price though I think I'll wait for the significantly cheaper Tesla version currently only offered in South Korea which will hopefully be sold here in US eventually. The Tesla one seems much compact and hopefully easier to use.

Mike

At the current price though I think I'll wait for the significantly cheaper Tesla version currently only offered in South Korea which will hopefully be sold here in US eventually.

Tesla hasn't offered a CCS adapter in South Korea yet, just announced that it will be coming in the first half of the year. So we don't know when it will be available or how much it will cost, or what its capabilities will be. I would expect the NA release to be significantly after the release in South Korea, if at all.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Tesla hasn't offered a CCS adapter in South Korea yet, just announced that it will be coming in the first half of the year. So we don't know when it will be available or how much it will cost, or what its capabilities will be. I would expect the NA release to be significantly after the release in South Korea, if at all.

When it is released in Korea it will be interesting to see if a little black market opens up where Koreans could ship them to Canadians (or Americans) needing to improve their charging options. I’m willing to bet there would be a few BCers send money their way if the performance is up in that 80 amp area on a 20 or 30 percent battery. CCS/Chademo locations out number Tesla locations 10 to 1 here. Not complaining, Tesla continues to improve their network here, but it is a reality.

Cheers.

I was going by the price quoted here: Tesla launches $190 CCS adapter for new Model S and Model X, offers retrofits for older vehicles - Electrek as a price having been confirmed by Tesla. However, of course, prices sometimes change or confirmations are sometimes incorrect.

• Informative
I was going by the price quoted here: Tesla launches $190 CCS adapter for new Model S and Model X, offers retrofits for older vehicles - Electrek as a price having been confirmed by Tesla. However, of course, prices sometimes change or confirmations are sometimes incorrect.

If you read the article you posted, you will also see that it cost an additional 330 Euro to modify the car, right? So we are talking $600 USD to make it work there. Why do you think it would be cheaper here?

Read differently for me. I thought it said that the older, pre May 19, cars needed the retrofit and the newer ones, just the adapt.
Yes, because Tesla made the decision to change the native hardware on the European spec cars so that they wouldn't need the retrofit anymore, just the adapter. But so far as is known, that change was only made for the Euro cars, not for the cars in other markets. And that production change was only made after the adapter was actually made available for the European market. Tesla knew they were developing the adapter and that they were going to sell them long before May '19, and didn't, in preparation, start making the cars natively able to use the adapter at the same time. Ergo, I see no reason to believe that Tesla has already instituted the same hardware change for North American (or Korean) vehicles. It may be true that they did, but I personally would classify it as "wishful thinking". I personally expect them to follow the same procedure that they did in Europe, i.e. wait until they release the adapter for a given market and then start modifying the lines so new cars being sold there no longer need the retrofit.

Yes, because Tesla made the decision to change the native hardware on the European spec cars so that they wouldn't need the retrofit anymore, just the adapter. But so far as is known, that change was only made for the Euro cars, not for the cars in other markets. And that production change was only made after the adapter was actually made available for the European market. Tesla knew they were developing the adapter and that they were going to sell them long before May '19, and didn't, in preparation, start making the cars natively able to use the adapter at the same time. Ergo, I see no reason to believe that Tesla has already instituted the same hardware change for North American (or Korean) vehicles. It may be true that they did, but I personally would classify it as "wishful thinking". I personally expect them to follow the same procedure that they did in Europe, i.e. wait until they release the adapter for a given market and then start modifying the lines so new cars being sold there no longer need the retrofit.

Kinda what I was thinking. I have the chademo adapter and currently it's as available as the CC's, so I'm staying with it. I don't need to carry more stuff or spend more money.

Kinda what I was thinking. I have the chademo adapter and currently it's as available as the CC's, so I'm staying with it. I don't need to carry more stuff or spend more money.
While that makes sense, the operative word is "currently."

If a CCS adapter were to become available for North American Tesla cars, it would allow faster charging than Chademo, in most places, and more charging stalls in some locations. Chademo is a dying standard that is being supplanted by CCS in North America. Hence, the interest in a CCS adapter in this thread.

Read differently for me. I thought it said that the older, pre May 19, cars needed the retrofit and the newer ones, just the adapt.
Older, pre May 19 European vehicles. They are different than the NA/Korean models. Ultimately, they may make all versions the same but most US customers who buy this most likely will need a mod if not built into the adapter. Time will tell but I am not holding my breath for a $170 price point...

If you read the article you posted, you will also see that it cost an additional 330 Euro to modify the car, right? So we are talking $600 USD to make it work there. Why do you think it would be cheaper here?

My understanding was that the Korean and North American cars were to the same specification. Thus subject to the same hardware requirements for an adapter. If a $170 adapter would work on post 2019 Tesla's in Korea, they should also work on post 2019 North American cars, unless Tesla does something funky.

Now, based on SETEC thread, it sounds like the 50KW limit will also be in place for CCS adapters for Model 3's and likely Model Y's.

Mike

My understanding was that the Korean and North American cars were to the same specification. Thus subject to the same hardware requirements for an adapter. If a $170 adapter would work on post 2019 Tesla's in Korea, they should also work on post 2019 North American cars, unless Tesla does something funky.

Now, based on SETEC thread, it sounds like the 50KW limit will also be in place for CCS adapters for Model 3's and likely Model Y's.

Mike

And if that’s the case then there would be no advantage over the Chademo adapter as Chademo for the most part is just as common as CCS here except for the Electrify Canada stations which are not that common.

And if that’s the case then there would be no advantage over the Chademo adapter as Chademo for the most part is just as common as CCS here except for the Electrify Canada stations which are not that common.

Yeah, it is disappointing. Model S/X owners apparently have no such limitation. Also at least in my area, the most common configuration for non tesla charging stations is 1 Chadmo + X CCS. The odds of the Chadmo charging station being out of order, or in use... is much higher than CCS.

If Tesla supercharger are not intended to be a profit center for Tesla, why should they care if we get our electrons from a more expensive provider?. What is the goal of this limitation? (rhetorical question for Tesla)

Mike

Mike
Again, the article that was mentioned talks about European-specific Teslas and the cost for getting CCS Type 2 to work with them. We know they are different than the ones produced for NA and Korea (where CCS Type 1 connectors are used). One cannot assume that whatever Tesla is working on for NA and Korea / other markets will be exactly the same (modification/no modification-wise, cost).

If it will only be $170 for my 2016 MS - great! I will definitely buy one. But right now I am very doubtful that will be the case. Time will tell...

Last edited:
^^^
The above should probably be reported in Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter, to avoid confusion.

Can you (probably best in the other thread) post a Plugshare link to the above EA site and/or just the address? EA isn't exactly the pinnacle of reliability so it is unknown to me whether that DC FC was working to begin with.

I was unaware of that thread (seems it was created after I posted in this one saying I’ll report back anyway). Thanks for pointing it out - I’ll share over there.

Reactions: cwerdna