Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DC fast charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

At my work they just installed these DC fast chargers in addition to the standard ev chargers. I'm wondering if I can charge my tesla on these chargers without any additional upgrades, could someone let me know if this is possible ? I assume for the chademo side I would need the adaptor but what about the other side DC 2?

Attachments

• IMG_7836.JPG
    IMG_7836.JPG
    359.3 KB · Views: 673
Reactions: hiroshiy
The other one is CCS and is not supported by Tesla in any way at the moment. There are some speculation on they will change that with the Model 3 or maybe an adapter like with chademo.

But at the moment Tesla only supports DC charging through it's own Super Charger network or via a chademo adapter, sorry to say.

• Informative
Reactions: Giants2012
You need to have fast charging enabled on your car (software controlled) - so if you have Supercharger access, you can DCFC. All you need is the adapter.

The speed will depend on the charging station, but it will max out at 50 kW, or about 143 MPH. A working DCFC @ 50 kW will is just as fast as a Supercharger if your SOC is >~60%.

You will not see a current revision CCS adapter for the Tesla anytime soon. We might see a new revision CCS adapter sometime in the future, once the new standard is finalized (supposedly this month) - but you won't see that for at least a year, but my bet is 2+ years until we see a CCS adapter, if at all.

I think the maximum is 48 kW with the chademo adapter, I haven't used mine in a while. If not it is somewhere between 43-48 kW, so quite decent speeds.

When charging with DC you are not using the onboard chargers, so the charge speed will not be dependent on whether you have dual chargers or not. So full speed for you my friend :)

Thanks for your reply! How fast would a Tesla charge with a Chademo adapter on one of these fast chargers? Do I need anything else other thank the adapter ? Does my car need to have dual chargers as well, because I don't have that option?
If it supplies the full 50kW, then about 140mph or about 1/2 the speed of a (properly functioning) supercharger.

You do not need dual chargers or the high amperage chargers to use it. The car's onboard chargers are bypassed when charging with DC, which this is. All you need is the CHAdeMO adapter.

Also be aware that most stations like this will only power one side at a time.

The CHAdeMO adapter is currently limited to 125 amps. So, expect charge rates of:

Large Battery car (85-90-100kWh)
48kW max at peak = 125 amps (assuming the charger can output 125 amps) multiplied by 380-390 volts maximum at PEAK charge rate. With a depleted battery, this could be as slow as 37kW at 125 amps.

Small Battery car (40-60-70-75kWh)
42kW max at peak = 125 amps * 340 volts maximum at PEAK charge rate. With a depleted battery, this could be as slow as 35kW at 125 amps.

We are going to be doing some testing with a CHAdeMO v1.2 and CCS rated at 400 amps on Wednesday. It might be possible that the Tesla adapter will actually operate above 125 amps, based on VERY preliminary data.

• Informative
Reactions: Veritas1980
The CHAdeMO adapter is currently limited to 125 amps. So, expect charge rates of:

Large Battery car (85-90-100kWh)
48kW max at peak = 125 amps (assuming the charger can output 125 amps) multiplied by 380-390 volts maximum at PEAK charge rate. With a depleted battery, this could be as slow as 37kW at 125 amps.

Small Battery car (40-60-70-75kWh)
42kW max at peak = 125 amps * 340 volts maximum at PEAK charge rate. With a depleted battery, this could be as slow as 35kW at 125 amps.

We are going to be doing some testing with a CHAdeMO v1.2 and CCS rated at 400 amps on Wednesday. It might be possible that the Tesla adapter will actually operate above 125 amps, based on VERY preliminary data.

Hey Tony, any update on that testing?

Hi all,

At my work they just installed these DC fast chargers in addition to the standard ev chargers. I'm wondering if I can charge my tesla on these chargers without any additional upgrades, could someone let me know if this is possible ? I assume for the chademo side I would need the adaptor but what about the other side DC 2?

We are still learning about this, but apparently the frequent use of DC charging can cause eventual slowing down of Supercharging by around ~5 minutes (best info at this time). CHAdeMO charging at work could certainly potentially qualify as frequent DC charging.

Given this, if you do have the option of AC charging at work, it might be advisable to use AC unless there is a pressing need to DC charge or unless you find Supercharging speeds unimportant of course.

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging #550

Also, so far it seems 90 kWh batteries may be the most likely to be affected (with a single 85 kWh affected reported), so if you have some other battery, perhaps this is not such an immediate concern.

Reactions: Naonak