TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

DC to DC converter

Discussion in 'Model S' started by johnengland, Sep 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. johnengland

johnengland Member

Anybody have a dc to dc converter for sale ?

2. tom66

tom66 Member

For Model S?

3. Billy2010

Billy2010 New Member

yes we are looking for a dc converter for a model s

4. johnengland

johnengland Member

Yes it is for a model S

5. tom66

tom66 Member

Best bet probably a salvage vehicle - but it is mounted near the front of the vehicle above the wheel well, so I would guess it is commonly damaged in salvage cars.

What is wrong with the current DC-DC converter? I've never repaired a Model S DC-DC myself, but it's fundamentally a standard device, no different than a conventional off-line converter, no bridge rectifier as it operates off DC not AC. I've repaired those before, so if you need any guidance...

6. johnengland

johnengland Member

tom66, thanks for the offer but it was completely destroyed. smashed beyond repair I'm afraid.

7. tom66

tom66 Member

That sucks. If you do decide to dispose of the old unit, there are probably members on here who'd be interested in looking at it, if only for a teardown.

Sorry I can't help you with your problem.

8. Zextraterrestrial

older cars have it behind the wheel well (2012, maybe early '13) but now it is behind the frunk I believe.
    newer totaled cars may have intact DC-DC vs older unless it was fire damage after a collision

9. tom66

tom66 Member

10. Zextraterrestrial

I don't think that isn't where it is currently...I think the frunk is shorter so the DC-DC can be mounted to the firewall