Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DC to Homestead in Hot Springs, VA in an 85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JST

May 23, 2013
Looks doable as a direct run--about 215 miles. This would be in May, so hopefully warm outside. Anyone know if the Homestead offers EV charging?

Other option would be to divert through Glen Allen. That adds 40 miles but puts a Supercharger in the middle and thus completely eliminates range anxiety. I'd still need a charger at the destination, though.

I don't know about charging onsite... if your at the owners club there are garages with 110v outlets... but at the main building, I am not certain. There is a TON of elevation change on the way to Hot Springs, not certain what the % up/down is but its quite a bit of up down -- and depending on your route some darn-fun roads to drive.

I don't know about charging onsite... if your at the owners club there are garages with 110v outlets... but at the main building, I am not certain. There is a TON of elevation change on the way to Hot Springs, not certain what the % up/down is but its quite a bit of up down -- and depending on your route some darn-fun roads to drive.

I called the hotel and spoke to someone in the parking/valet office. They did say that they've had one other Tesla there and offered to plug the car in but couldn't really tell me what kind of outlet they had. Sounded like maybe a 110, but then the attendant said maybe they could plug it into where a dryer normally goes. Possibly a 30A 240? But with no info on the type of plug they have/adapter required, it's too much of a question mark. I'll just take the other car.

May write them a letter, though, suggesting they put in some capabilities.

I called the hotel and spoke to someone in the parking/valet office. They did say that they've had one other Tesla there and offered to plug the car in but couldn't really tell me what kind of outlet they had. Sounded like maybe a 110, but then the attendant said maybe they could plug it into where a dryer normally goes. Possibly a 30A 240? But with no info on the type of plug they have/adapter required, it's too much of a question mark. I'll just take the other car.

May write them a letter, though, suggesting they put in some capabilities.

Sent them the following:

I am attending a conference at the Homestead and called to ask about the availability of electric car charging. While your staff was very helpful in trying to accommodate me with your existing facilities, it does not sound like the Homestead is able to offer reliable and sufficient electric vehicle charging options at this time. A 110 volt standard wall plug, for example, would take several days to fully charge a long-range electric vehicle.

I wanted to encourage you to consider adding this capability. As you probably know, Tesla is selling more and more long-range electric cars in Mid-Atlantic region. Other companies are likely to follow. Especially for those owners in the Washington, D.C. region, the Homestead is a popular destination and is within easy reach, but the trip home would be impossible without a relatively high-speed charging option at the hotel. Other hotels and resorts in this area are adding electric charging facilities; Nemacolin, for example, confirmed the availability of a 240V, 50 amp electric charging option. The article at this link provides some additional information: http://beta.fool.com/tulipspeculato...ing-be-next-wi-fi/19708/?source=TheMotleyFool

As you may know, there are a variety of different ways to provide what is known as “Level 2” charging capability. The easiest and cheapest is simply to install a NEMA 14-50, 240 or 208V outlet on a 50 amp circuit, commonly used at RV parks, which Teslas and some other electric cars can make use of. An electric vehicle charging station that is compliant with SAE standard J1772 is more expensive, but would also be able to charge nearly any electric car that a customer might bring to the hotel. Finally, Tesla offers a discounted program for installing their own proprietary “High Power Wall Connector.”

I hope the next time I visit the Homestead I am able to do so in my electric car! Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to discuss.

I think that all of us who travel with our cars and have relationships with the many hotels and hotel operators need to do what JST did, if we raise the awareness of the property owners and show them that offering charging for our cars is an amenity that will generate profits more hotels will install charging stations

Thanks to JST and others? for their letter writing to The Omni Homestead Resort requesting EV charging! We just charged on their newly installed 14-50 with a nice stiff 243V feed. We just finished a meeting with a well informed GM with regards to enhancing their current 10-30 and 14-50 towards a Tesla Destination Program which they will now consider. The growing list of activities and amenities that we have witnessed over the last several years at this resort is truly amazing!

btw, chewed up 125 miles of range (in ideal conditions) from Charlottsville to The Omni Homestead Resort using the Apple Maps route instead of the longer more circuitous Tesla nav route. The '16 scheduled opening of a Staunton super will make this trip too easy. :biggrin:

image.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

...and depending on your route some darn-fun roads to drive.

Yup ! :biggrin:

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks to JST and others? for their letter writing to The Omni Homestead Resort requesting EV charging. We just charged on their newly installed 14-50 with a nice stiff 243V feed. We just finished a meeting with a well informed GM with regards to enhancing their current 10-30 and 14-50 towards a Tesla Destination Program which they will now consider. The growing list of activities and amenities that we have witnessed over the last several years at this resort is truly amazing!

btw, chewed up 125 miles of range (in ideal conditions) from Charlottsville to The Omni Homestead Resort using the Apple Maps route instead of the longer more circuitous Tesla nav route. The '16 scheduled opening of a Staunton super will make this trip too easy. :biggrin:

View attachment 104373

- - - Updated - - -

Yup ! :biggrin:

Great news!