TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

DCU is only giving me 50% of the loan I asked for since I never borrowed this much

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by PatD, Feb 27, 2015.

1. PatD

PatD Member

Reached out to Digital Credit Union this week for a loan on the P85D. I was originally going to go with Energy Credit Union, but since they now will only loan up to $70k, I didn't want to tie up ~$50k in the car. Credit score is almost 800, and income is a non-issue.

They came back and offered $75k because they said my last car loan (8 years ago) was only for $35k, so they can't give me what I asked for. That's just dumb. Others have said EFCU did the same thing to them.

Going back to my normal credit union (2%) to see what they'll do.

2. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Alliant
    Scott Paulson
    773-462-2086

3. PatD

PatD Member

Thanks - do you know if they have any discounts for EVs or direct deposit, etc.? They're at the same rate as my credit union.

4. golfgypsy

golfgypsy Member

I checked with BofA today - for current good customers they are at 1.89%

5. vvanders

vvanders Member

Had similar issues with most of Tesla's financing options. Our credit union was more than willing even offered to finance up to 120%.

If you can I'd talk to your current bank since they have your entire deposit history.

6. Tourman

Tourman Member

DCU would only finance around 70% of my S85D, even though I've had loans with them in the past, and I've been a member for over 10 years. I went with Alliant and they will do 100% if I want.

7. GreenPenguin

GreenPenguin Member

DCU is only giving me 50% of the loan I asked for since I never borrowed this...

Q: If I'm not anticipating getting the loan for a while (waiting on the X). Is there any benefit to start opening a small checking account with any of these guys? Would it help?

Specifically:
    Alliant
    DCU
    EFCU
    Local credit union

I have my mortgage with Wells Fargo and a PMA member but my feeling is the smaller banks would have better deals.

Thanks!

8. SilverL

SilverL Member

I'll chime in with another recommendation for Alliant. They were super smooth to work with, and since they are used to working with Tesla, it was a total cinch.

9. GreenPenguin

GreenPenguin Member

What's the current rate at Alliant and up to how much?

10. DieAbetic

DieAbetic Member

+1 Alliant. Don't know the current rates, but they gave me 100% and even offered to cover the tax. This was my first time with an auto loan

11. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Alliant sucked for me. They limited the financing for exactly the same reason as OP - that I have never had such a high auto loan before.

I went with USAlliance who had no such restriction and the interest rate was the same at the time (1.9%).

12. Eseell

Eseell Member

I had a good experience applying with Alliant, they approved me for 100% financing in a matter of hours. I ended up going with one of my current banks, though; USAA was a pain to get approved by - they asked for a lot more documentation than any other banks or credit unions I looked at - but once I had approval funding the loan was a piece of cake. I've never had a car loan at all, so who knows what their criteria are for this kind of restriction.

13. broncophil

broncophil Member

does anyone know if a hi priced auto loan is equal to a hi price auto lease?

i've leased $70k cars before, but havent bought.

but its showed as $70k outstanding debt on my credit report.

i wonder if i will have the same issues as some here?

14. JMG

JMG Member

I was quoted 1.99% yesterday.

15. NuclearPowered

DCU is only giving me 50% of the loan I asked for since I never borrowed this...

Do you have a contact at US alliance? I applied at alliant yesterday and was disappointed with the rate and terms.

16. REBroker

REBroker Member

I just closed my loan with DCU, did not have such issue. Have you had a mortgage as well or no? They were pretty painless for me, and I got the 1.24% interest rate.

17. PatD

PatD Member

Yes, several mortgages and refi's (Though not with DCU.) They only cared about previous auto loans.

18. tiblot

tiblot Member

Same here. Closed my loan within 1 business day last May 2014. No issues at all - able to finance 100%.

.99% , but you do need to direct deposit $500 a month. Which is non-issue since the payment is bigger anyway.

19. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Yes! Although I don't know if they are still offering lower rates on EVs. Here you go:

Jon Krumdick
    USAlliance Federal Credit Union
    Senior Manager - Sales and Service
    Phone: 800.431.2754 ext. 2319
    Mobile: 978.833.1962
    eFax: 914.881.3475
    [email protected]
    http://www.usalliance.org

20. Syed

Syed Member

Called Scott Paulson at Alliant. He took the application over phone and less than a hour approved for 100% @ 1.99% for 60 months although I haven't asked for 100%. He offered GAP coverage for $319.

Also applied on DCU but haven't got any response yet. How long DCU usually take to get back?