Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DCU is only giving me 50% of the loan I asked for since I never borrowed this much

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reached out to Digital Credit Union this week for a loan on the P85D. I was originally going to go with Energy Credit Union, but since they now will only loan up to $70k, I didn't want to tie up ~$50k in the car. Credit score is almost 800, and income is a non-issue.

They came back and offered $75k because they said my last car loan (8 years ago) was only for $35k, so they can't give me what I asked for. That's just dumb. Others have said EFCU did the same thing to them.

Going back to my normal credit union (2%) to see what they'll do.

DCU is only giving me 50% of the loan I asked for since I never borrowed this...

Q: If I'm not anticipating getting the loan for a while (waiting on the X). Is there any benefit to start opening a small checking account with any of these guys? Would it help?

Specifically:
Alliant
DCU
EFCU
Local credit union

I have my mortgage with Wells Fargo and a PMA member but my feeling is the smaller banks would have better deals.

Thanks!

I had a good experience applying with Alliant, they approved me for 100% financing in a matter of hours. I ended up going with one of my current banks, though; USAA was a pain to get approved by - they asked for a lot more documentation than any other banks or credit unions I looked at - but once I had approval funding the loan was a piece of cake. I've never had a car loan at all, so who knows what their criteria are for this kind of restriction.

does anyone know if a hi priced auto loan is equal to a hi price auto lease?

i've leased $70k cars before, but havent bought.

but its showed as $70k outstanding debt on my credit report.

i wonder if i will have the same issues as some here?

DCU is only giving me 50% of the loan I asked for since I never borrowed this...

Alliant sucked for me. They limited the financing for exactly the same reason as OP - that I have never had such a high auto loan before.

I went with USAlliance who had no such restriction and the interest rate was the same at the time (1.9%).

Do you have a contact at US alliance? I applied at alliant yesterday and was disappointed with the rate and terms.

I just closed my loan with DCU, did not have such issue. Have you had a mortgage as well or no? They were pretty painless for me, and I got the 1.24% interest rate.

Same here. Closed my loan within 1 business day last May 2014. No issues at all - able to finance 100%.

.99% , but you do need to direct deposit $500 a month. Which is non-issue since the payment is bigger anyway.

Do you have a contact at US alliance? I applied at alliant yesterday and was disappointed with the rate and terms.

Yes! Although I don't know if they are still offering lower rates on EVs. Here you go:

Jon Krumdick
USAlliance Federal Credit Union
Senior Manager - Sales and Service
Phone: 800.431.2754 ext. 2319
Mobile: 978.833.1962
eFax: 914.881.3475
[email protected]
http://www.usalliance.org

Called Scott Paulson at Alliant. He took the application over phone and less than a hour approved for 100% @ 1.99% for 60 months although I haven't asked for 100%. He offered GAP coverage for $319.

Also applied on DCU but haven't got any response yet. How long DCU usually take to get back?