Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

De-VIN'd: "part of the current Tesla experience" ... !?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

R1Fast

P3D Blue/White
Sep 11, 2018
Seattle
My delivery appointment for a shiney new blue P3D was scheduled for 4pm today, 9/25/18 in Bellevue, WA. I was told I would be contacted by the Bellevue SC within 24 hours of my appointment to confirm pickup.

I haven't been contacted by the SC or heard a thing since speaking to my inside advisor via email last Friday. I just called the SC to make sure I can pick-up in 2 hours and they had absolutely no idea about my appointment. After being passed around for 15-20 mins, someone finally had some truth: my car isn't even there yet and they don't know where it is.

"Okay, that sucks, but I can deal with it. Things are bananas right now with delivery", I tell myself.

But no, not so simple.

Making matters worse, a Bellevue SC advisor just called me back and informed me my vehicle was accidentally sent to the east coast. My reservation has been de-VIN'ed, now with no vehicle and no ETA on delivery. He summarized with the sentiment that "this is part of the current Tesla experience".

Really?

Anyway, now I am being asked to patiently wait until Saturday 9/29 to get an ETA on a new vehicle, VIN and delivery appointment sometime thereafter.

TLDR:

Today went from one of the most exciting days in memory to one of the most ironic and frustrating. For the $75k coming out of my pocket, what happened today isn't just a tough pill to swallow. It's a complete cluster#uck and pretty much the exact opposite of what I'd expect as a premium price tag paying customer.

I understand Tesla is trying to scale exponentially and $hit is going to happen. Hell, one of the reasons I love Tesla is their ability to push the envelope and break down industry barriers. But if the 'experience' statement is really is something being anticipated by the SC and Tesla, Elon and Co. need to invest heavily into logistics, order tracking and delivery execution to the point of the customer leaving the lot.

In closing, we'll see how that experience changes from here. Hopefully for the better!

My VIN was removed earlier this week. Here's my guess as to what happened with your car/VIN. Just as they can't stop the assembly line, they don't want to stop loading the carriers. In your case I suspect there were some spots on a carrier and their reserved VIN cars weren't built or not ready to load. So they just grabbed a few cars that were waiting, likely including yours, and off they went. The plan is of course to later match your VIN with someone else waiting for that config, and make you a new car...

That is the only explanation I can come up with that would align with the observations.

Lucky someone on the east coast will get your blue baby. Sorry :(

I also suspect that the on-lot "inventory" cars were previously assigned, but just didn't make it onto carriers. Boooo Tesla :(

Most likely the case. I just talked to a rep from delivery logistics. He said my VIN is the same and it is still bound for Seattle and that it is currently sitting in Fremont with no outbound date.

Who the hell knows at this point.