Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deactivated Salvaged Roadster - Service Resources

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is why I for one would not EVER allow Gruber or ElectricLove get withing any feet of touching or working on my Roadster. If a person fails to disclose something so serious and so major to a buyer of a vehicle, that this car is no longer serviceable nor can any part be purchased by the dealer for it, but then to sell it to some innocent fellow..... Well then I have to ask you, would you want that same person/company to work on your precious Roadster.
wiztecy, innocent question: Has Gruber 'messed up' in this regard in the past? I don't know him personally, but have referred others to him because I know of no other Tesla Roadster independent service shop and was hoping he was starting something that is so needed in our community. Does ElectricLove work for Gruber or is he Gruber? I see they both live in the Phoenix area. I also see that he has posted in this thread. Just a naive old-timer here who hasn't had his ear to the ground in awhile (as Bonnie can attest).

Reactions: dhrivnak
wiztecy, innocent question: Has Gruber 'messed up' in this regard in the past? I don't know him personally, but have referred others to him because I know of no other Tesla Roadster independent service shop and was hoping he was starting something that is so needed in our community. Does ElectricLove work for Gruber or is he Gruber? I see they both live in the Phoenix area. I also see that he has posted in this thread. Just a naive old-timer here who hasn't had his ear to the ground in awhile (as Bonnie can attest).

I can answer this; I am NOT Gruber, I do work for the company.

They hired me to help "build" the new department which was originally intended to service Tesla Roadsters in the 3rd party space. However, my boss has no idea how to appropriately market the company in any way but a low-class walmart shoppers approach. His approach did us no good and in reality hurt the image of the business severely. I have stated a bunch of times on the forums that I didn't approve his approaches and that I advised against the approach, however I ended up getting dragged through the mud with him.

Now, this thread was created by the guy who bought my first roadster from me, I loved the car and it taught me most of what I know about the Roadsters. I bought it as a salvage vehicle and worked hard to rebuild the front end of it and get the communications systems up and running, it performed well and never let me down. I wanted to have tesla service update the firmware for me and my local service center gave me a hard time about it, I came on the forums to protest what I felt was poor policy from Tesla corporate and the responses I got were varied, some people told me that it depends on the service center you go to, others tried their best to thwart any resemblance of "anti-tesla" speak and still others supported my gripes... Nature of the forums...

I listed that same car on eBay and sold it for around $40K, I disclosed everything about the vehicle itself that I was aware of (especially that it was salvage title), I answered any and every question from the buyer honestly and he was happy to be buying the car for about $25-30K under "clean-title" price (it was a 2.0 Roadster included CAN SR, J1772 adapter, HPWC and 50A tesla charger). Thought everything was fine, he messaged me a couple weeks after receiving it about an issue where the PEM was getting hot on one of the phases; I gave him guidance on how to fix that issue and the guidance I gave proved accurate and fixed the problem. Again, I thought everything was fine

Anyways, a few months went by and then he emailed me about deceiving him (after starting this thread and finding on TMC where I had voiced my disappointment with tesla service center policies). His opinion is that I should have told him about Tesla's policies ahead of time b/c now he wants to take it to Tesla for service and he can't because it didn't pass the Tesla certification inspection (which he was aware of prior to purchase but I never took it through the inspection so I didn't know if it would pass/fail, I honestly assumed it would pass but it wasn't worth it to me @ $1,300). At this point he thinks I just "off-loaded" my crap onto him.

This is the entire story as objectively stated as I can, I'm sure others will "add" to it.

But in short, this is all (basically) just drama with no bearing on what the company I work for has to offer, we have started repairing customer PEM's and other various components of the Roadster and have taken care of our customers effectively, we are legitimately becoming a 3rd party option for Tesla vehicles. We are currently investing more R&D time into the Model S as we've got the Roadster pretty well pegged-down at this point. We are also branching into Smart EVs and Prius (for the sake of having an actual market). The Roadster service industry will never be a profitable one, the limited number of vehicles prohibits that, we really got into it due to the mutual love for the vehicle that the owner (Gruber) and I share, but we've learned the Roadster community is rather fickle and there is abundantly more opportunity in the mass-produced vehicles out there. We will, however, continue to service Roadsters for the foreseeable future.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark77a and cwerdna
Gruber is in Phoenix and so is ElectricLove. ElectricLove works for Gruber, is not the owner of the company. People have the choice to use any company they like or like to support, I just found that in my opinion Gruber came off as a very unethical company/individual. The owner/CEO of Gruber, posted & posed here on TMC as a customer giving rave reviews of Gruber working on his Roadster, highly recommending them. But failed to disclose that he owned the company.... With that, I find it to be very odd and misleading to say the least. You also want to ask, if someone misrepresents who they are, giving the impression they're someone else on a forum to praise their own company to foster up more business, you have to wonder how ethical they'll be when working on your unique car, and with that, if something bad happens, a short possibly occurs, that somehow that same person will try to get out of a big mess being a damaged car or other property damage do to neglect or lack of expertise. All this has been brewing for a while, it appeared ElectricLove was using the forum to promote what appeared to be free advertising for Gruber at any chance he could use, to the point of pushing it in where it seemed inappropriate. Some were receiving spam from Gruber and felt as if they possibly grabbed the emails from TMC etc...

If you're trying to save a few bucks, I honestly wouldn't do it here, especially with the PEM or ESS. Let Tesla handle it so you're covered if something bad happens and has an honest warranty attached to it.

Reactions: DeedWest
Gruber is in Phoenix and so is ElectricLove. ElectricLove works for Gruber, is not the owner of the company. People have the choice to use any company they like or like to support, I just found that in my opinion Gruber came off as a very unethical company/individual. The owner/CEO of Gruber, posted & posed here on TMC as a customer giving rave reviews of Gruber working on his Roadster, highly recommending them. But failed to disclose that he owned the company.... With that, I find it to be very odd and misleading to say the least.
Thanx for this info above

[QUOTE="Some were receiving spam from Gruber and felt as if they possibly grabbed the emails from TMC etc..."[/QUOTE]

I think I cleared this up before, yes "they" used some sort of software that sniffs out a domain to find user emails, not sure how it works or what the software is called, but the emails were ascertained using this "sniffing" software... I didn't think this was so easily done but apparently if you buy the software (likely it was cheap) it is pretty simple, I guess we are all at risk, as internet users. It's sad b/c every employee email in this company is subjected to an onslaught of about 10-12 spam emails daily, karma I guess...

I can answer this; I am NOT Gruber, I do work for the company.

They hired me to help "build" the new department which was originally intended to service Tesla Roadsters in the 3rd party space. However, my boss has no idea how to appropriately market the company in any way but a low-class walmart shoppers approach. His approach did us no good and in reality hurt the image of the business severely. I have stated a bunch of times on the forums that I didn't approve his approaches and that I advised against the approach, however I ended up getting dragged through the mud with him.
This is the entire story as objectively stated as I can, I'm sure others will "add" to it.
I think you did a good job of summation. I appreciate that and sorry my comment took a turn to hijacking the thread. I also appreciate those who PMed me with back story as well. Case closed.