Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead Battery - 2 weeks out of warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My battery has died two weeks outside of the 8yr warranty. We have been complaining about the battery for one year. Tesla NEVER wanted to see the vehicle, they only wanted to 'diagnose' it through the app. They told us it was normal degradation. Now, they want $17K to replace the battery we have been having issues with. Anyone have similar issues? What are my options?

Sorry. What a mess. Unless the battery is physically damaged, try to work out a settlement with Tesla quickly, because you likely will not be talking to people who can help if they are local. Then I would fight it if no resolution. Get a lawyer. You likely will have to go through arbitration, as the amount is too much for small claims. Hopefully they will work with you before it gets to that. It just isn't right 2 weeks out of warranty, even if no previous issues. An adjustment should be made.

Sorry. What a mess. Unless the battery is physically damaged, try to work out a settlement with Tesla quickly, because you likely will not be talking to people who can help if they are local. Then I would fight it if no resolution. Get a lawyer. You likely will have to go through arbitration, as the amount is too much for small claims. Hopefully they will work with you before it gets to that. It just isn't right 2 weeks out of warranty, even if no previous issues. An adjustment should be made.
Actually, if there was indication of failure prior to the expiration of the warranty it will mean everything. The key here is to whether said problems were documented properly or not because undocumented problems will be a lot more difficult to prove that there was an issue prior to the expiration of the warranty. If nothing was documented, it's as if the battery offered perfect service through the term of the warranty which is exactly the period in which you are backed by the manufacturer. Anything beyond that would be good will from the manufacturer or a concession offered to make the problem go away (in the case of litigation). Either way, I would be very careful with how you word things directly to Tesla because it's easier to get bees with honey than with vinegar. Lawyers, lawsuits and court cases get expensive real fast. I would avoid that at all possible cost. If you jump into accusations and name calling as a step one measure you're basically assuring the expensive drug out option.

My battery has died two weeks outside of the 8yr warranty. We have been complaining about the battery for one year. Tesla NEVER wanted to see the vehicle, they only wanted to 'diagnose' it through the app. They told us it was normal degradation. Now, they want $17K to replace the battery we have been having issues with. Anyone have similar issues? What are my options?
@wk057 might be able to help you.

Btw, believe it or not, but $17K quote was actually cheap, earlier customers have been asked 22K 😩

Post in thread 'Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S'
Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S

What issues were you having?

What size battery is that for?
The quote was for a brand new battery. I believe it was the 'main' battery. We were having issues with it holding a charge. The problem would come and go. They told us it was normal wear and tear and this was a year ago. I have the chat logs from the tesla app and my emails literally asking them for a new battery. They said they dont just hand out batteries, and I get that, but if they would have taken the car in and looked at it as opposed to just running tests on it from their service center, they would have seen this issue and we wouldnt be in this mess, but they NEVER wanted to see the car, they just kept bragging at how innovative they are and how well their technology works mot requiring them to be with the actual car.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The quote was for a brand new battery. I believe it was the 'main' battery. We were having issues with it holding a charge. The problem would come and go. They told us it was normal wear and tear and this was a year ago. I have the chat logs from the tesla app and my emails literally asking them for a new battery. They said they dont just hand out batteries, and I get that, but if they would have taken the car in and looked at it as opposed to just running tests on it from their service center, they would have seen this issue and we wouldnt be in this mess, but they NEVER wanted to see the car, they just kept bragging at how innovative they are and how well their technology works mot requiring them to be with the actual car.

What size battery does your car have?

Some people are trying to wrap their head around the price they quoted you as it doesn't match the other documented cases of new battery replacement.

Reactions: Matias
The quote was for a brand new battery. I believe it was the 'main' battery. We were having issues with it holding a charge. The problem would come and go.

What does that mean "hold a charge". Your description of the actual problem is really vague. It could be so many things including not the battery. Has the car failed now? Is it drivable? Did you get any alerts before the the warranty expired? Did you get any alerts after?

OP, really sorry to see that. I think you should show evidence of you contacting them about battery issues (or at least provide dates) and request a free refurbishment / repair. If that doesn’t work, you may consider trading in the vehicle for a new or preowned Tesla, pay for the battery repair or contact a place like Gruber Motors.

Exactly same thing just happened to me

Sorry to see that. The below companies can help you for close to $5k (or hopefully lower). 057Tech offers a warranty also. The other options could be requesting a repaired / refurbished main battery from Tesla for a few thousand more at close to $10k, or trade your car in with them. Please tell them you'd like a lower cost battery repair option. I hope everything works out well for you.

057tech.com

grubermotors.com

electrifiedgarage.com