Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead battery 2008 Tesla Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I have a 2008 Tesla Roadster the car has been sitting 3 years and has not been started at all. The battery is dead. It will not take a charge. Is it possible for me to get this car running without having to put a new battery in it?
If not. Is there a way I can atleast get the dash board lit up temporarily so that way I can get the car to auction and they can read the mileage on the dash board. If they can't see the miles they will brand the title and ruin it for everybody. Any tips? Thank you

• Funny
Reactions: spaceballs
Hi all, I have a 2008 Tesla Roadster the car has been sitting 3 years and has not been started at all. The battery is dead. It will not take a charge. Is it possible for me to get this car running without having to put a new battery in it?
If not. Is there a way I can atleast get the dash board lit up temporarily so that way I can get the car to auction and they can read the mileage on the dash board. If they can't see the miles they will brand the title and ruin it for everybody. Any tips? Thank you

Have you tried jumping or perhaps replacing the 12 volt battery in the car you won't get anything if your 12 volt battery has died. your traction pack may still be alive.

Have you tried jumping or perhaps replacing the 12 volt battery in the car you won't get anything if your 12 volt battery has died. your traction pack may still be alive.
No 12v in a 2008. If the battery is fully dead then you are likely out of luck if not plugged in for over 3 years. There is a small chance the service disconnect was pulled but if not you are out $29k. Sorry

No 12v in a 2008. If the battery is fully dead then you are likely out of luck if not plugged in for over 3 years. There is a small chance the service disconnect was pulled but if not you are out $29k. Sorry

2008 used strictly a dc-dc converter for 12 volt power? Even if that is the case one could still trick the system and introduce 12-volt power into the same circuit

You can get limited access to the battery through the BMB's on top back of ESS.

I made a custom BMB you can plug in to each sheet to get the voltage. Then if they are still alive, you can charge each sheet carefully through the same board.

3 years is a really long time though....
20180314_192923.jpg

Reactions: tccartier
Is the prior owner accessible for questions? As noted, check on the ESS Disconnect first. If pulled, you have a chance.

The 1.5's (2008) use a tap into the ESS at the second sheet to bring out 12v power. From there it should go to a DC-DC converter (2nd sheet would be something like 68 volts?), to supply a regulated 12v to the car. Pretty sure that DC-DC converter is inside the pack somewhere. In theory you might be able to supply 12v power at that point to fire up the main computer, but I would tread carefully. Don't want to cause more damage than has already (possibly) been done.

I'm guessing that plugging in a charging cord causes no activity / signs of life, right?

• Helpful
Reactions: markwj
I've used a bench power supply and set it to 2 amps, and back fed into the 12v cig socket. This should be enough to get the millage off of it.

• Helpful
Reactions: markwj
A strong word of caution - many packs have caught fire when people tried to improperly bring a 'dead' pack back to life through direct recharging.
A limited number of people know how to do it properly. Don't experiment trying to recharge the main pack yourself.

Reactions: gregd
It's a brick if the disconnect wasn't pulled. Don't waste your time trying to charge it. If you can't get 12V to the cig socket as spaceballs suggested, you can jump 12V to the terminal block in front of the right rear wheel (under the wheel well liner).

Roadster 3.0 Battery Upgrade
Deposit: $5,000
Final Price: $29,000

Upgrade your Roadster to a battery that stores roughly 40% more energy than the original battery. There is a slight increase in the battery weight but the total range increases over 35% from the original Roadster.

The price of the battery upgrade is $29,000, including all labor and logistics, which is equal to Tesla's expected cost. It is not our intention to make a profit on the battery pack. The reason the cost per kWh is higher than a Model S battery is due to the almost entirely hand-built, low-volume (only 2 or 3 per week) nature of Roadster battery packs. It also includes additional work to remove, upgrade, and reinstall the power electronics module (PEM.)

All removed battery modules will be fully recycled or reused if possible, and we will reuse many other components from the old battery. Batteries are currently being upgraded in Fremont, CA and we will need sufficient time when scheduling your service to ship and pre-position the needed parts to your local service center. Depending on local service team workload the upgrade will only take a few days once the parts are in place.

A $5,000 deposit is required to reserve your upgrade with the balance due upon installation. Place your order today and you'll be contacted to schedule an installation appointment as inventory becomes available.

Available for all Roadster models.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Looks like "Nissan of New Rochelle" has this vehicle question now. I'm a little confused, as their website lists it for $27,999, but their AutoTrader listing shows it at $79,999.

Does this mean they stuffed a 3.0 battery into it and are reselling it? Seems rather impossible to get one THAT quickly. Either way, if it IS selling for $27,999, that's not a bad price if only the battery is the issue. For $49,999 and some change, you could have a 2008 Roadster with an R80 battery and a warranty.

Link HERE

Looks like "Nissan of New Rochelle" has this vehicle question now. I'm a little confused, as their website lists it for $27,999, but their AutoTrader listing shows it at $79,999.

Does this mean they stuffed a 3.0 battery into it and are reselling it? Seems rather impossible to get one THAT quickly. Either way, if it IS selling for $27,999, that's not a bad price if only the battery is the issue. For $49,999 and some change, you could have a 2008 Roadster with an R80 battery and a warranty.

Link HERE
Well, if nothing else they figured out how to see how many miles are on the car. (23K and change)