Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead battery heater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
So for anyone wondering what the symptoms are:

First I noticed an increase in wh/mi usage when it got cold, but no warnings on the car. I didn't pay too much attention to it.

Within a day, I got this message
20191114_093515.jpg

And my power was reduced to 100kw, and my regen was reduced to 0 (i.e. no regen at all)

The part is: MDL S, DM, THERM SYS, ELEC BATT HEATER(1038901-00-G)
The cost is $650+ with tax
View attachment 477261

2015, 70D, 83k miles

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Tam and Electric700
@Max* , did they diagnose the issue remotely or did you have to take it in to a service center?
Take it in. Made an appointment in the app for a week out (or more?), they contacted me pretty quickly and made a next day (I think?) appointment.

They said something about not being able to pull the logs remotely, not sure why. Took them a day to diagnose it (though my car was sitting in the parking lot, so they were probably just backed up), and maybe another half day to fix it.

First I noticed an increase in wh/mi usage when it got cold, but no warnings on the car. I didn't pay too much attention to it.

View attachment 477282

And my power was reduced to 100kw, and my regen was reduced to 0 (i.e. no regen at all)

View attachment 477261

2015, 70D, 83k miles

not covered under battery 8 year warranty?

View attachment 477282

View attachment 477261

2015, 70D, 83k miles

Hello,

I got this message once by the SuperCharger and I replug it in and I didn’t appear anymore. But after this the ventilation go full running and it bubbels in thé cooling reservoir!! Now sometimes I hear it bubbling but Tesla Service Center says nothing too worried

View attachment 477282

View attachment 477261

2015, 70D, 83k miles

View attachment 477282

View attachment 477261

2015, 70D, 83k miles

Are you handyman? The battery heater cost about €175,- and you can maybe do it bye your self??

a friend here in the Netherlands paid €1000,- including labor.... last week

Hello,

I got this message once by the SuperCharger and I replug it in and I didn’t appear anymore. But after this the ventilation go full running and it bubbels in thé cooling reservoir!! Now sometimes I hear it bubbling but Tesla Service Center says nothing too worried
I did a reboot, mine was persistent. And it was there a few days in a row before getting fixed.
Are you handyman? The battery heater cost about €175,- and you can maybe do it bye your self??

a friend here in the Netherlands paid €1000,- including labor.... last week
I am handy, but I already had it done since I wasn't sure what it was until I got to the Service Center.

I'm surprised about the huge price fluctuations for the same defect.

My heater is not working. I took Frunk out today, pump 1 is running 24/7. But water stayed at outside temp, 50. Should be 65 to 75 optimum. My car will not super charge cause temp is too low. It starts at 37kw. I have to get pump off Ebay and change it.