Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead Battery - How to get into Frunk on 2016+ Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the ModelX there are some frunk release straps to pull. On the 2015 and earlier Model S there are spots behind the nose cone to "jump start" the car, as well as a manual release if you have access to the interior of the car.

On the 2016+ refreshed Model S - what do we do to get to the 12V battery if/when it's totally dead?

Jon

On the ModelX there are some frunk release straps to pull. On the 2015 and earlier Model S there are spots behind the nose cone to "jump start" the car, as well as a manual release if you have access to the interior of the car.

On the 2016+ refreshed Model S - what do we do to get to the 12V battery if/when it's totally dead?

Jon
If you have an emergency and need the instructions, call Tesla Tech Support 7x24 (877) 798-3752 Option 2 IIRC.

Some people on this site don't want this talked about for security reasons. Check the manual for first responders or pm me.

Security by obscurity is no security at all. By not talking about the fact that the frunk can be easily opened without a fob might cause some owner to put valuable things in there. I've heard but not verified if the frunk is opened by pulling the emergency pull tabs while the car is locked the alarm would go off. That would make opening the frunk in such a manner similar to getting into the vehicle by throwing a brick through a window.

I would be surprised if the refresh Model S did not have a method to open similar to Model X:

ModelXOpenFrunk.png

Reactions: apacheguy
Actually my refreshed 60 has a stightly different system from what they show, but the diagram will get you to the right place. They must change stuff like this constsntly. Not sure why you didn't get through my spam filter. Others have. Sorry.

I have this same problem. battery totally dead, need to get into front trunk to jump battery.

I have a 2017 Model S 90D.

I looked though all the early responder guides to find those release straps, however, they are not there!

I checked both by the front tires, those release straps are not in those holes.
I also checked in the nose of the car like where they would be for Model X, and they are not there either.

I don't understand they the straps are not there, and is there no other way to get into the trunk?

I have this same problem. battery totally dead, need to get into front trunk to jump battery.

I have a 2017 Model S 90D.

I looked though all the early responder guides to find those release straps, however, they are not there!

I checked both by the front tires, those release straps are not in those holes.
I also checked in the nose of the car like where they would be for Model X, and they are not there either.

I don't understand they the straps are not there, and is there no other way to get into the trunk?
Did you lift up the front arch liners as instructed?

I agree that most of us would simply call Tesla. They would know exactly which model you have and would stay on the line while you found the pulls or straps or loops, and pulled them, in the proper order.

I can imagine a would-be thief, trying the front bumper, the wheel wells, the rear wheels, the left side of the battery pack, or wherever Tesla has put them this month. "HA! Find us NOW!" -- all while auto dial places a call to 911 with GPS directions to the car.

My previous S failed with a black screen of death while in valet mode.

Mobile Tesla support was into the frunk quickly, but had to disassemble the dash to access the glovebox. Took some time.

Am not happy about the insecure nature of the frunk. Am considering repositioning or otherwise addressing those pull loops.

For the recent rash of rear/triangular window breakins, there is a way to tint windows with a clear cement that makes those windows able to withstand repeated strikes from a baseball bat.

But the only thing I can think of for secure storage in the car storage areas is to attach, permanently, a lockbox.

Bleh. When on the road it would be nice to have just one thiefproof area in the chariot.

For those who cannot bother to read the first responder guide:

View attachment 200837

[Old post, but exactly on point for me. New 2020 MS LR+.]

I've read the Emergency Response Guide, which took me to this exact picture. I don't see how the front wheel arch liners come out, and I'm reluctant to just start yanking on them. My first tentative attempts resulted in pulling out the rubber liner surrounding the ultrasonic sensor (without the overall liner moving one bit). I tucked that back in and stopped.

So... anyone got pics or a YouTube vid showing how it's done...?

My 12v died, car is 2013, Tesla said , remove nose cone, get a truck that gives off 14.5 volts or more. Jump there in front, she said leave jumper on for over 30 minutes. After about 20 minutes the car lit up. Waited 45 minutes. Took volt meter, sure enough the car battery was at 14.5. Never died again, that was last Thanksgiving.

[Old post, but exactly on point for me. New 2020 MS LR+.]

I've read the Emergency Response Guide, which took me to this exact picture. I don't see how the front wheel arch liners come out, and I'm reluctant to just start yanking on them. My first tentative attempts resulted in pulling out the rubber liner surrounding the ultrasonic sensor (without the overall liner moving one bit). I tucked that back in and stopped.

So... anyone got pics or a YouTube vid showing how it's done...?

It is next to impossible to do without a nylon pry tool like the kind used to remove plastic trim. It's kind of annoying to carry a pry tool at all times especcially since opening a Model X frunk with the manual release is easy to do with fingers alone. Since the frunk on a Model S ( or any Tesla for that matter ) is not secure at all I simply removed the lowest metal clip from the tab on each fender liner making it easy to do with fingers alone by pulling the bottom of the liner toward the back of the car and then putting your fingers in the gap between the liner and the fender and pulling the liner toward the back of the car again releasing the next clip up. At that point the liner is pulled back far enough to reach the release cables and pull them. If nothing else it means that the roadside assistance guy won't be chipping the fender paint as they pry the liner loose to get into the frunk. This has no effect on the function of the fender liner and can't be seen once the liner is snapped back into place. Once the frunk is open jumping the car ( this has been well documented on TMC ) can be done with a 1/4 inch flat head screw driver and an Li jump pack like this.

Attachments

• 6297939.p.pdf
    653.7 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jughead135