Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead battery in Key fob locked out of Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to lock my Model X and it failed to lock with the key fob. I assumed the fob battery might be dead so I tried the other fob and determined it was a dead battery. I then followed the instructions in the O&M manual to hold the fob with the dead battery near to bottom of the door post on the drivers side to see if I could unlock. No luck. I tried numerous positions and it would not unlock.

I am now worried that if I am not carrying my cell phone with me and my fob goes dead I will not be able to get into the locked car. Many times I do not carry my cell phone or leave it in the car.

Has anyone had luck with unlocking the car with a dead fob battery?

I tried to lock my Model X and it failed to lock with the key fob. I assumed the fob battery might be dead so I tried the other fob and determined it was a dead battery. I then followed the instructions in the O&M manual to hold the fob with the dead battery near to bottom of the door post on the drivers side to see if I could unlock. No luck. I tried numerous positions and it would not unlock.

I am now worried that if I am not carrying my cell phone with me and my fob goes dead I will not be able to get into the locked car. Many times I do not carry my cell phone or leave it in the car.

Has anyone had luck with unlocking the car with a dead fob battery?
Unfortunately had to deal with this a lot when we first got the x. The magic spot is below the fw door on the body cladding close to where the two doors meet. Push the door button several times as you move the key around and it will eventually open.

You cannot open the car with a dead fob. I too had locked my phone in the car and the fob died. Luckily I had my wifes phone to call Tesla and then we also had to get the app working on her phone so we could drive home.

BTW it may not be a dead battery. My fobs had to be reprogrammed. Pulling the battery, waiting 10 seconds and inserting it was enough to get it working again. This went on for a few months until I had them reprogram both fobs for a second time.

How does one not carry their phone on them in 2016? :)

I usually don't. My house has a phone, my work does, my wife has a phone, my cars have all have phones integrated in them, I don't talk on the phone when I'm on a motorcycle or bicycle, nor do I talk on the phone in public anyways, it seems to be rude to both the caller and the people around you.

It's funny sometimes. Before we were married, my wife was with me, and my cellphone rang. She asked, "aren't you going to answer it?", and I replied, "the phone exists for my convenience, not the convenience of others." You've probably met folk like that and didn't even know it. You don't see their phone, you don't hear their phone, and you've never witnessed them talking on a portable phone in public, just like you probably never seen them have a bowel movement either. It does happen, it just happens in private.

Reactions: Freedom101
I am the one that started this thread. The original question was has anyone had any luck trying page 10 of the manual (attached). This is a procedure that SHOULD open the car with a dead battery. I could not get it to work. Has anyone else tried this?
Yeah it's a pain, but it works on mine, even with a battery out of the key. I'd get the SC to demonstrate it to you to verify it works on your car too. Related: if you put the key in the armrest cup holder or the very back of the console by the USB ports, it will start the car with a dead key battery.

I tried to lock my Model X and it failed to lock with the key fob. I assumed the fob battery might be dead so I tried the other fob and determined it was a dead battery.
My point was that it might not have been a dead battery. This statement does not state you swapped batteries or put in a new battery. The fobs have been known to go brain dead even with a good battery. When they do this they have to be 'rebooted'. That's as simple as removing the battery and replacing it after about 10 seconds.

The procedure on putting the fob in various places will work with a dead or almost dead battery, but not one where the fob has locked up its logic.

This is a known problem and Tesla claims they have a fix for it.

• Informative
Reactions: qadaemon
Yeah it's a pain, but it works on mine, even with a battery out of the key. I'd get the SC to demonstrate it to you to verify it works on your car too. Related: if you put the key in the armrest cup holder or the very back of the console by the USB ports, it will start the car with a dead key battery.

I threw my dead battery out but tried like you said without the battery. Could not get it to unlock the car or start the car. Guess I will ask next time at the service center for a demo.

Unrelated to unlocking the MX without the keyfob, I noted that within 3 days of receiving 8.0 software, my primary keyfob battery died. It actually died while we were out driving around and had stopped. Luckily, I had my iPhone and used the app to unlock and start the MX. I now have bought an 8-pack of the CR2354 batteries to key around for future emergencies.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFSUIC2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think the 8.0 software is making keyfob batteries die quicker.

I also had my fob go completely dead just a week or so after version 8.

Other fob worked fine. No luck on the hold close to body trick but I did not try all that hard since I had fob #2 close at hand.

After running around looking for a new battery I decided to just switch the battery from my other fob. Worked great.

But then so did the other fob with the "dead" battery out into it!!

In the end it just took pulling the battery and reinserting it to work fine.

Unrelated to unlocking the MX without the keyfob, I noted that within 3 days of receiving 8.0 software, my primary keyfob battery died. It actually died while we were out driving around and had stopped. Luckily, I had my iPhone and used the app to unlock and start the MX. I now have bought an 8-pack of the CR2354 batteries to key around for future emergencies.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFSUIC2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think the 8.0 software is making keyfob batteries die quicker.