Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, my 2017 Model X battery is dead - we were out of town for a few weeks and at some point lost power to our garage, so the car drained down to zero. Can't open the doors or charge port. Service says the only fix is for me to get it towed into the Service Center in 2 weeks, and then no ETA for when we'll get it back. Anyone here know any other options? Would jumping the 12V battery let me get the charge port open so I can start charging here?

Thanks
Rob

Hi @rbennett ,

You might request Mobile Service for the replacement...
If you are handy, you could buy the battery from the Service Center and install
it yourself...

I heard these batteries are currently scarce, so it might be a wait no matter what...

In the meantime - Open the frunk, charge the battery...
If you get enough charge in the 12V you might be able to charge the car...

Good luck,

Shawn

Well, my 2017 Model X battery is dead - we were out of town for a few weeks and at some point lost power to our garage, so the car drained down to zero. Can't open the doors or charge port. Service says the only fix is for me to get it towed into the Service Center in 2 weeks, and then no ETA for when we'll get it back. Anyone here know any other options? Would jumping the 12V battery let me get the charge port open so I can start charging here?

Thanks
Rob
there should be a manual charge port release inside the back hatch

Well, I was successfully able to jump the 12V with a Noco Boost (had to go into manual override mode to kick the battery back to life). If you haven’t jumped your Tesla before, heads up that first the alarm goes off and then things start to show signs of life (lights, MCU, etc.). Got the charge port open and it looks like we’re on the right track - fingers crossed!

D509FC3B-E7BA-40FA-B49B-359CA27BB1B0.png

Disclaimer: I do not own a model 3 or Y but enjoy collecting information about it. If you can get the charge port open, then you can charge the car and it will then also charge your dead 12 volt battery. Should be the same with the Y

In my Model X and the Model S, if the high voltage battery and 12 volt battery are both dead, it is hard to get the charge port open and so you have to open the frunk, find the hot plug to the 12 volt battery and then charge the 12 volt battery a little until the car wakes up and you can open the port.

Do me a favor. Supposedly if the 12 volt battery is dead on the model 3 or Y, you can pop the small port open on the left front bumper (rotates with the help of a plastic pry tool, rotates from 8 o'clock up to 2 o'clock) and applying a small current to the positive and negative cables attached (9 volt battery, or 12 volt jumper), it will pop the frunk and you can then pull the plastic cover off in the back of the frunk to get to the fireman's harness disconnect and your fuse box and the hot plug to the 12 volt battery inside. You can then jumper the dead 12 volt battery (ground to the metal chassis) and get the electronics going again. Can you try this emergency procedure and see if you can find the 12 volt hot plug in the fuse box? You don't need to actually charge it, just see if you can find it!
IT is good to know how to pop the frunk in your model x if the battery is dead and to find the hot plug by taking the cover off of the fuse box and grounding to the chassis and boost the 12 volt battery, and then the charge port will open and you can charge away!

IT is good to know how to pop the frunk in your model x if the battery is dead and to find the hot plug by taking the cover off of the fuse box and grounding to the chassis and boost the 12 volt battery, and then the charge port will open and you can charge away!
how do you pop the trunk in the model x my model x was in an accident yesterday and shut down i cant ope the car now and tesla says there is no way to do it.

Consider a Ohmmu battery for the MX. I wouldn't trust the lead acid battery after sitting dead like that.
The Model S can survive quite a while with a weak or very degraded 12v battery. However, the Model X is a much different beast, especially with the amount of power draw for the falcon wing doors. The systems on the MX are a lot more "picky".

Here is a guide to replacing the battery in the MX, very easy and straight forward. Process is the same for a Ohmmu Lithium.