Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead bear: what happened to automatic emergency braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't tell if that car even has AP.

If it doesn't have AP then it doesn't have AEB.

Now even if it did have AEB I doubt it would have done anything. Keep in mind that most AEB systems don't activate for large animals. They're mostly optimized/used for detecting cars, pedestrians, cyclist, etc.

The exception being Volvo with their large animal detection. From what I can gather Volvo is considered to be the industry leader in AEB, and they only recently added large animal detection.

Volvo's Cars Can Now Spot Moose—Then Hit the Brakes for You

Last edited:
Reactions: BrokerDon
There was some talk back with Musk talking about avoiding people in traffic with the radar, he said something along the line that it would maybe, just maybe, detect something the size of a moose or deer (or something, maybe someone has a link to the quote) but not humans.

So if the car was fitted with AP, maybe there was a chance it would detect it. But depending on how fast he was going, it may still have been a significant impact.

I think until the image processing is advanced enough to identify such dangers, this is the best we can expect.

Obviously the Tesla didn't look big enough.

SRtjVrU.jpg

A bear likely darted from the woods at the last second not standing on the shoulder and stepped out at the last second like a pedestrian.
Areas bears cross there is likely a elevation change and vegetation cover just off the shoulder of the road too which would complicate things further.

So the question would be why would you expect the car to react?

Last edited:
Reactions: Abqnative
My AP2 car slowed for a deer that jumped into the road 40 yards ahead of me. I had AP activated so as I felt it slow I got the brakes to protect against potential other deer. After carefully scanning I resumed after that deer ambled off the road.

Hello, I never realized the attention that incident received. That was my S that met with the black bear. It happened at roughly 5:30 am. Yes, I was using AP(1), 75 mph, both hands on the wheel and eyes focused ahead (kinda unusual for me). Luckily, already finished my cappuccino, so didn't have my travel mug up to my mouth. It was basically still dark, and on a slight left-hand curve so headlight glare from oncoming traffic a factor, and I was traveling in the left lane, having passed some truck traffic. Let me tell you, that bear must have been in a dead (sorry) run, because I didn't even register the dark object that just appeared when my car 'exploded' (all airbags deployed). I THINK I remember hearing the emergency braking (or something) alarm going off. After the airbag 'explosion' (kind of a huge pop), everything was dark, and I was still traveling at significant speed, totally blind. Thanks to the rumble strips on the side of the interstate, I could tell when I was off the highway, and just missed hitting concrete barriers on the side of the road. I was told that a bears hide is extremely thick, so they remain completely intact after an impact like this. Deer and whatnot often 'break' apart, sort of dissipating the energy. Again, simply amazed at the attention that incident received, just because of being a Tesla..

Had a wild boar run across the road in front of me a few months back while on AP at ~55 mph. We were on a two lane road between towns. Probably about 300 pounds on the hoof. Not a peep out the Tesla. Luckily I saw it starting to come out of the brush and braked to a stop (little skid) about 15 feet from the beasty. He didn't even acknowledge that we were there. Sauntered across the road with nary a glance in our direction. Didn't panic or run AT ALL.

p.s.

If you get in that situation, don't get out of the car to "shoo" the pig along. It's likely to tear you a new a**hole with those tusks!

Had a raccoon attack my S yesterday while driving about 50 mph. He hit the drivers side of the car, bounced off and ran back into the woods. Sound was so loud that I thought the truck in from of us had lost a small boulder. Really felt it. No damage and I suppose that I should have tried the dash cam but I was in shock registering what just happened. Will consider the silhouette idea if I can find one of a raccoon. We live in rural Washington. Tons of deer, bear, critters just itching to attack a Tesla. Lucky for both off us that he hit the side.

I can't tell if that car even has AP.

If it doesn't have AP then it doesn't have AEB.

Now even if it did have AEB I doubt it would have done anything. Keep in mind that most AEB systems don't activate for large animals. They're mostly optimized/used for detecting cars, pedestrians, cyclist, etc.

The exception being Volvo with their large animal detection. From what I can gather Volvo is considered to be the industry leader in AEB, and they only recently added large animal detection.

Volvo's Cars Can Now Spot Moose—Then Hit the Brakes for You

Pedestrians are "medium" sized animals ;)

Most AEB systems are marginal with anything but cars.