TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Dead bear: what happened to automatic emergency braking?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Bet TSLA, Apr 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Active Member

2. 12Pack

12Pack ..

The radar works better with metallic objects, I suppose. No AEB for living things or concrete barriers apparently.

3. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

#3 S4WRXTTCS, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    I can't tell if that car even has AP.

If it doesn't have AP then it doesn't have AEB.

Now even if it did have AEB I doubt it would have done anything. Keep in mind that most AEB systems don't activate for large animals. They're mostly optimized/used for detecting cars, pedestrians, cyclist, etc.

The exception being Volvo with their large animal detection. From what I can gather Volvo is considered to be the industry leader in AEB, and they only recently added large animal detection.

Volvo's Cars Can Now Spot Moose—Then Hit the Brakes for You

• Like x 1
  4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Thought it worked with moving objects, not stationary ones? So it would work with a car in front of you that was slowing quickly. But not a car/bear stopped in the road.

5. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

There was some talk back with Musk talking about avoiding people in traffic with the radar, he said something along the line that it would maybe, just maybe, detect something the size of a moose or deer (or something, maybe someone has a link to the quote) but not humans.

So if the car was fitted with AP, maybe there was a chance it would detect it. But depending on how fast he was going, it may still have been a significant impact.

I think until the image processing is advanced enough to identify such dangers, this is the best we can expect.

6. GWord

GWord Member

Obviously the Tesla didn't look big enough.

[​IMG]

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

#7 SSedan, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    A bear likely darted from the woods at the last second not standing on the shoulder and stepped out at the last second like a pedestrian.
    Areas bears cross there is likely a elevation change and vegetation cover just off the shoulder of the road too which would complicate things further.

So the question would be why would you expect the car to react?

• Like x 1
  8. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

Was the bear just standing in the road or did it run across into the car's path? The latter is how most deer collisions happen, and I suspect how this happened too. If that's the case, then the car had no opportunity to respond.

• Like x 1
  9. croman

croman Active Member

My AP2 car slowed for a deer that jumped into the road 40 yards ahead of me. I had AP activated so as I felt it slow I got the brakes to protect against potential other deer. After carefully scanning I resumed after that deer ambled off the road.