Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead Calm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning it is completely dead. Interestingly, the drivers window is open. I am unable to unplug the wall charger. The fob does not work near the wiper even to open the doors.

Had the exact "sleeping" car issue with drivers window open 2 months ago. Because of my distance from a service center, I opted to charged the battery with instructions Telsa and no issues since. Glad to know that's all it was for you also.

Last edited:
Very true. I certainly went in "eyes opened" but I really had to grit my teeth at being an early adopter with something as expensive as Model S. When a layperson/friend asks me if they should get one, I really try to be truthful in my assessment of them and their needs. Honestly, for most people the answer is "not yet".
I kind of think of it like software.

Q: Should I install the beta?
A: If you're asking someone other than yourself, then no.

Very true. I certainly went in "eyes opened" but I really had to grit my teeth at being an early adopter with something as expensive as Model S. When a layperson/friend asks me if they should get one, I really try to be truthful in my assessment of them and their needs. Honestly, for most people the answer is "not yet".

Me too, and maybe yes (on waiting) for some people. However, in the meantime; yesterday I got to drive the most amazing car ever produced 120 miles into the big city for about 4 bucks while the only emissions were from me jamming to John Hiatt on a very nice sound system. It was better than going to the spa! Would have cost me over 20 dollars in our other car. So...

Funnily, in 8 years of owning 2 old Toyotas, the only problems that have left me stranded were when the alternator broke in both cars, and once when the battery was dead (my own fault). Easily fixed by myself, and reconditioned alternators are dirt cheap on Ebay.

Can someone summarize how many instances of dead MS's that've been reported? Can we hope that the MS's in production now won't have these issues?

You are comparing you personal experience of car issues with the number of reported issues of over 7500 people.
However, to address your question, the large 'vampire' draw is causing some issues for the 12V batteries. Once that is resolved I am sure the number of 12V battery issues will dramatically decrease.

Though, I will say that for this early adopter, things have been surprisingly and completely trouble free. Actually, better than every other car I've bought over the last 20 years. Defects requiring service center time in the first 3 months of ownership with my last 3 cars (BMW, Audi): 2-3 each. Defects in the Model S in the first 3 months: 0.

I'm not complaining at all, but the only problem I had with my '09 Cadillac CTS over 4 years and 80,000 miles was a burned out DRL bulb in early 2013 that had to be replaced by the dealer because of the way it was installed (not user accessible). So far (2 1/2 weeks) with the Model S I've had a problematic turn signal and have been told (in these forums) that I may need an alignment because of how the car squirms on the freeway. Not bad, all things considered, but I cannot say it's been as trouble-free as past cars.

How is it a lemon? A lemon is defined as having the same problem multiple times. Having a 12v battery go flat is not that big of a deal.

Wouldn't conform with the "lemon" laws.

One repair does not a lemon make.

Your mob attacks are unfounded and uncivilized. There was more than one fault and repair. You should have better read and better comprehended the original post before responding.

I think it is a "big deal" that after a week in the shop, that the car has a similar problem a few days later. I would be displeased with the car and the service. It hurts Tesla's reputation.

It is redundant and clear that there were at least two incidents.
After waiting for 1 whole week waiting for my MS 60 to be brought back from the service center in Menlo Park last Friday, I find my MS60 dead again in my garage.

Two Fridays ago it was dead and was towed out on a Monday morning. The service center was excellent, prompt, and conscientious in updating me. It spent 4 days in Menlo Park service. They replaced a faulty drive unit.

I was pleased to have it back last Friday delivered by 2 courteous Tesla employees.

I drove it sparingly over the weekend mindful of not venturing too far from home base.

This morning it is completely dead. Interestingly, the drivers window is open. I am unable to unplug the wall charger. The fob does not work near the wiper even to open the doors.

I was able to reach the Tesla help number but not the service center.

The wife gave me a quizzical look as she drove away in her Prius.

I am annoyed. I am disappointed.

I love how things alternate between "People should stop doubting Tesla! Sign up now! Convince your friends!" and "You should expect problems going in. You should wait".
It funny how fan boys often argue out of both sides of their mouth. It's like they have multiple personality disorder or can't remember all their lies, therefore show contradictions and inconsistencies.

One minute they will argue that Tesla is the best and most reliable car, then in the next breath they will make excuses claiming that as an early adopter; problems should be expected, ignored and tolerated.
:rolleyes:

apparently every person whose Model S dies is going to create their own thread about the topic.

enough.

easy killer, i was just saying maybe we should have one "car unresponsive/asleep" thread that collects all these similar instances. instead of the main page having multiple "my car is dead" threads on the front page...
I think that would be wrong. That kind of thing already happens too much.

Not every similar symptom has the same cause and doesn't have the same solution. Merging a bunch of similar threads muddies up the water, adds to the confusion, runs off on more tangents, lowers the intelligence and results in more bickering.

Entitled to your opinion....but, they say opinions are like ...... Everybody has one.

Mods can decide what's what.
I think it is often great when moderators merge threads on identical news stories or identical topics. Often started accidentally by people that don't realize the same story or identical topic is posted in another part of the forum.

However I think some of the mods are trigger happy and reckless to merge different stories that are similar or merge different threads that were trying to make different points.

Merging a bunch of similar threads muddies up the water, adds to the confusion, tangents, and lowers the intelligence and results in more bickering.

Similarly merging different threads that are trying to make different points; muddies up the water, adds to the confusion, tangents, lowers the intelligence and results in more bickering.

Sometimes merging similar but different threads lowers the intelligence and lowers the civility.

Umm, Rainbow? You're replying to stuff that is approximately a year old. Of course you can do that, but just letting you know that some of those people are no longer on the forum & may not respond, some of the topics have resolved, etc.

But carry on, if you wish.

Maybe montgomery can provide his side of the story now that Tesla has posted what they think is going on with the car on their blog today...Can you explain how your handle issue could not be reproduced by Tesla and how fuse stopped blowing up? Also what is the statistical likelihood that same person will get two lemons in two years?! From Volvo in 2013 and Tesla in 2014 and hires same Lemon law king for law suits.

Do we know that montgom626 is the Plaintiff? He hasn't answered that question in another thread, so I also asked it there, and I will ask it here:

Montgom626, are you "Robert Montgomery of Franklin", the plaintiff in the lemon law action against Tesla?

very happy to hear this. that 12v battery sure is an achilles heel. glad it's (seemingly) all sorted peksman, pls upload a picture of your car when it's back in your garage happily charging. after you've torn up the back country roads a bit. :)

But in this instance, it appears that a faulty UMC was the problem. This prevented the main battery from charging, which in turn prevented the 12V battery from charging via the DC-to-DC converter.

Note: when the 12V battery gets very close to empty, the car will lower the driver's window automatically, just to insure that there's a way to get into the car—by using the interior door handle.

Do we know that montgom626 is the Plaintiff? He hasn't answered that question in another thread, so I also asked it there, and I will ask it here:

Montgom626, are you "Robert Montgomery of Franklin", the plaintiff in the lemon law action against Tesla?

Here's a video he posted trying to fake non-working door handles. Pretty suspect. Think disbarment and jail possible for him and his lawyer? Can't wait for the news article.

Tesla Door Wont open DEC 18 2013 - YouTube

What did it show if you could summarize it?

I knew I should have saved it! It showed him basically tugging on door handles that didn't present themselves, he's just pulling against the spring, and he says "look it doesn't open" and when he lets go the spring gently pulls in and his finger against the door showing clearly they are not presented, and he tugs on it again like it's supposed to do something.